Author Topic: I wasted $30  (Read 2633 times)
Powell

View Posts
View Gallery

I wasted $30 « on: February 07, 2013, 11:18:34 PM » Author: Powell
I purchased one of the Sylvania 820 lumen LED lamps.  Warm color, nice and bright. I turned on the radio. Well.... crud!  It interferes with AM.....so back to incandescent.  The 100 watt equivalent Sylvania micro CFL was very bright and also interfered with the radio. 

The LED lamp gets very warm..... I guess you could call it hot, and holds the heat for an extended period of time.

Powell

NNNN!

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: I wasted $30 « Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 12:01:35 AM » Author: dor123
CFLs and LEDs don't causes interferes with our radios, All of the Israeli radio stations boardcasts on FM from 88fm (Radio 88FM) to 107.5fm (Radio Haifa).
CFLs and HF fluorescent however, interferes with IR remote controls and IR receiver (TVs, A/C, etc...).
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 12:03:49 AM by dor123 » Logged

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I wasted $30 « Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 12:38:37 AM » Author: funkybulb
@ Dor123, FM radio is less suspectable with noise because it up on higher portion of the radio Spectrum, your radio is in the MHz
 range. CFL and my inverter will screw up a FM radio too as tunning in Long distant FM radio using a Car radio inside my shop
 any way AM is more suspectable to Electromagnetic Noise, CFL or anything that is swtching on and off. Will genterate some RF inerfrence, well Electronic ballast is a mini radio transmitter in away, and radio close enought on AM band you wont pick up anything. this is the same drive by with AM radio palying. and drving by another AM radio station you going pick up that station
on all your channels now matter what you do.

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I wasted $30 « Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 07:04:40 AM » Author: Ash
Cheap HF stuff will screw up any radio reception. If you want you can try to add line filters made from coils and capacitors (it seems to make the difference between bad and ok computer PSU's as far as EMI goes), or better, power the LEDs on mgnetic transformer
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I wasted $30 « Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 11:38:14 AM » Author: Medved
Well, any switching device with constant (so unmodulated) operating frequency would screw up the AM, once some of the harmonics just fall into the band of the received station. As the AM channel have about 9kHz width, with 60kHz converter you have about 1/6..1/7 chance you get disturbed.
When the frequency is modulated inside the driver, the emission spectrum of the switcher is spread and usually does not cause much problems. But that depend on the modulation character.

The HPF electrolyte free LED's are one of the worst, as there is no component to suppress the ripple, but most important the high power factor mean the disturbance is all the time HF connected to the mains, so radiate. With the low power factor devices with the electrolytic capacitor the input diodes conduct only fraction of the mains period, so most of the time they are not biased. And that mean during the unbiased state there is no path for the HF to the input.

No more selfballasted c***

Powell

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I wasted $30 « Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 02:47:07 PM » Author: Powell
Over in this part of the world (North and South America ) we are on a 10 kilohertz band spacing.

Anyway the lamp I use is 4 inches from the top of the radio.  I'll find a place to place this bulb.   

Powell

NNNN!

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I wasted $30 « Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 02:50:40 PM » Author: Ash
At least with computer PSU's the issue is not proximity to the PSU but its interference polluting the power line, and from there it spread to the radio (both through the powre and by being emitted from the wiring like antenna). Probably the same with the LED lamp
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I wasted $30 « Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 06:55:40 PM » Author: Medved
Well, with AM such proximity like 4 inches or so, the proximity itself is really causing the problem.
In this case it is not the radiated electromagnetic field, but just the magnetic flux from the transformers (an/or other high frequency operating inductive components; so they emit only the "near field" magnetic component), what couple to the ferrite rod antenna (sensitive ONLY to the magnetic component) "flood" the radio's input so, than even off-band, it causes cross-modulations and so become unable to carry the desired signal.
As this is the near field magnetic coupling, so goes down with square of the distance (double the distance mean 12dB improvement) physical separation helps a lot.

The radiation via input wires is more problem for notebook adapters and similar PSU's, where you have cable in and cable out of the box, what form quite nice dipole (radiating at 10..100MHz ) or even a loop, what then radiate from about 1..2MHz.
With Compact lamps with no cable out, such common mode emission is not a problem, as you have there no antenna capable to radiate anything below 50..100MHz, while at 50MHz and above the switchers usually do not emit anything...

For the differential RF going from the lamp, the mains cable is not an effective antenna, because the effects of the current from the line conductor just cancel out the effects from the same current in the Neutral line, as they are exactly opposite direction.
The problem may arise in some sloppy home installation, where the phase and neutral wiring is made so, it create large loops. But then the problem is not caused by the CFL or LED lamp, but by the sloppy home installation work.

No more selfballasted c***

Edmund Ironside

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I wasted $30 « Reply #8 on: October 21, 2019, 12:42:05 PM » Author: Edmund Ironside
30$ for a single lamp? That is one expensive bulb!
You'd be hard pressed to find a bulb that expensive here in Sweden!

Could you send us a link of this bulb?

Made in Sweden

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies