Author Topic: Looking for Preheat Fixtures  (Read 2126 times)
refridgedude1841

View Posts
View Gallery

Looking for Preheat Fixtures « on: March 30, 2013, 07:03:55 PM » Author: refridgedude1841
Hello,

I am new to the forums, but have loved Preheat fluorescent lighting since my childhood. I watch videos on youtube of them and that's actually were I heard about this site from youtuber DieselDucy (love love love your vids btw...both the lighting and the elevatours :)  I grew up with preheat lights in the kitchen, bathroom, and cellar, have always been fascinated by the startups, especially the blinking.  Our kitchen Circline fixture used to be really blink happy...most times to the point it was annoying, but now I miss that fixture.  Unfortunately I was still fairly young when my parents changed it out for a chandelier and I couldn't convince them to let me keep it :(

In any event...I'm looking to the internet now to hopefully maybe find another one like it, and I'm also looking for some small preheat fixtures, such as a 4 watt or 6 watt T5 mini strip lights. 

I currently have a 6 watt T5, and a 20 watt T12 preheat, as well as my 22 watt Circline screw in adapter, which is a preheat, but am really looking to add some more.  Also have 2 of those GE incandescent screw in adapter ballasts that use 4 watt, 7 watt and 9 watt Biax bulbs, and I have a desk/novelty lamp that uses a 13 watt biax.

So, does anyone have any fixtures they are looking to trade or sell? Or know where I might find the above?  I've struck out on ebay so far. 

Thanks in advance :)
sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Looking for Preheat Fixtures « Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 08:35:29 PM » Author: sol
Welcome to the forum !

As for eBay, I learned that patience is the best. I have waited very long for some items to appear. You have to make a search every day or every other day, and sort the list according to time newly listed. Eventually, what you are looking for (or something similar) will pop up. Other possiblities are salvage yards. Some salvage yards sell used building supplies and fixtures. You may get lucky, but like eBay, you have to visit regularly. Some members have gotten lucky at demolition sites, however those are among the most difficult to conquer. If you know of preheat installations  in use, sometimes you can offer to "upgrade" their lighting, and they will be happy with a "modern, better" light and you will be happy with the preheat light. Don't despair ; someday you will win the jackpot.
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Looking for Preheat Fixtures « Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 09:55:08 PM » Author: joseph_125
Welcome to LG!

Like what sol said, finding preheat fixtures on eBay usually takes some time if you want to get a good deal on it. I recomment either searching the site on a regular basis or saving a search like "preheat fluorescent", "vintage fluorescent" on eBay.

Some other useful sources I've found are salvage places. If you have a Habitat Restore in your area, I recommend them too. You might have to drop by regularly though and it depends on the specific store. I've noticed some stores tend to have more old fluorescent stuff than others.

If you're handy with electrical stuff you can also grab some suitable ballasts, starters, and starter sockets (off eBay, they are plentiful there) and convert a modern light to preheat. Some modern fluorescent fixtures still have knockouts for the starters too.
funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Looking for Preheat Fixtures « Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 12:42:14 AM » Author: funkybulb
like above, I have found preheat fixture and streetlights in bulky item pick up piles around the city for free,
 also I have got few things from the Salvage yard, as i am a scrapper, so i just trade them off in scrap weight
  for vintage lights.

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

refridgedude1841

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Looking for Preheat Fixtures « Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 03:54:43 PM » Author: refridgedude1841
Hello,

Thank-you for the suggestions...I hadn't thought of checking the local scrap yards...I think unfortunately most around here crush the "white metal" pretty quickly after getting it though..in the past when I've scavenged the yards looking for other stuff (air conditioners, etc) I don't recall seeing any lighting fixtures. 

I forgot to mention in my 1st post...does anyone have any near EOL lamps for a f6ft5 (6 watt t5) or a F20T12?  Also looking for some near EOL bulbs for the fixtures I do have. 

I will be uploading some pics of my fixtures in the next couple days...been browsing through the forums and gallery and have to say this place is awesome!!  All kinds of unique light fixtures and bulbs that I never would have known existed. 
DieselNut

View Posts
View Gallery

John

jonathon.graves johng917 GeorgiaJohn
Re: Looking for Preheat Fixtures « Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 12:08:02 PM » Author: DieselNut
Also check Craigs List.  I have found a few lighting goodies there.  And on your searches, be sure to use the often mis-spelled "Flourescent", "Flouresent", "Fluoresent", "Floresent" and "Florescent".

Preheat Fluorescents forever!
I love diesel engines, rural/farm life and vintage lighting!

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Looking for Preheat Fixtures « Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 09:02:52 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
A few more good craigslist searches are "shop light" "strip light" and ofcourse various lamp types - like "F40T12"
also you can add an 's' to the end of search terms ... for example "fluorescents" will give different results than "fluorescent"

In the summer drive by garage sales & look for lights, flea markets can also be good too

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies