Author Topic: Ballast, Starter, Lamp Question  (Read 2623 times)
mrboojay

View Posts
View Gallery

I love bulbs of all types.

mrboojay UC2tpasJaLc8IhVdjcDkI_3A mrboojay mrboojays_pics
Ballast, Starter, Lamp Question « on: January 24, 2013, 12:37:14 AM » Author: mrboojay
I am looking at getting these and want to make sure I have this all right.

Will these starters;
work with this ballast;
running F40T12s?

-mrboojay
My lighting-gallery.net Gallery
My YouTube Channel

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Ballast, Starter, Lamp Question « Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 03:40:08 AM » Author: Medved
According to the specification it should work together.

No more selfballasted c***

funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Ballast, Starter, Lamp Question « Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 07:17:38 AM » Author: funkybulb
 hello yes the starter works for that ballast, but since that ballast is no longer made or Imported. I wwould
 recommend Thermal cut out starters, save the ballast from EOL lamps. such as GE watch Dog FS-4 or Sylvania Cop 40
  those have button to push in up on lamp replacement.

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

mrboojay

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Ballast, Starter, Lamp Question « Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 10:04:38 AM » Author: mrboojay
Thank you very much for the replies, that helps a lot!

-mrboojay
My YouTube Channel

lesliemorris85
Re: Ballast, Starter, Lamp Question « Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 09:13:02 PM » Author: lesliemorris85
I agree with funkybulb, you’re better off getting the ones that are still in production as these likely have warranty or some sort of tech support.
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Ballast, Starter, Lamp Question « Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 11:44:10 AM » Author: Medved
I agree with funkybulb, you’re better off getting the ones that are still in production as these likely have warranty or some sort of tech support.

Well, the support would be the same as with the old ballast: "Does not work? so get a new one and just replace it..."

mrboojay

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Ballast, Starter, Lamp Question « Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 07:06:48 PM » Author: mrboojay
I have one more question, I am looking into getting some T12 Sockets as well.

I have my eye on these neat sockets.

My question is, would the quality and life of them be questionable or would it hold up well?

-mrboojay
My YouTube Channel

Patrick
Webmaster

View Posts
View Gallery

LightingGallery
Re: Ballast, Starter, Lamp Question « Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 09:59:02 PM » Author: Patrick
Shunted lamp holders are for instant start only.  Non-shunted can be used with any kind, but you just save a little wire using shunted if you're going to put in an instant start ballast anyway.

Patrick C., Administrator
Lighting-Gallery.net

mrboojay

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Ballast, Starter, Lamp Question « Reply #8 on: June 18, 2013, 10:02:59 PM » Author: mrboojay
No, I'm not.  It was going to be in a Preheat.  Thanks for the reply though.

-mrboojay
My YouTube Channel

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Ballast, Starter, Lamp Question « Reply #9 on: June 19, 2013, 09:33:40 AM » Author: Ash
Anyway why o you need shunted for Instant Start ? Do you shorten lamp life if you only connect 1 pin ?
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Ballast, Starter, Lamp Question « Reply #10 on: June 19, 2013, 01:49:55 PM » Author: Medved
Anyway why o you need shunted for Instant Start ? Do you shorten lamp life if you only connect 1 pin ?

The losses would be a bit higher (heating up a part of the cathode, what does not contribute to the electron emission) moreover the cathode usually start to be consumed from the connected side, so after the emission mix get consumed on a section, this section only heat up without any use for that heat. Connecting both sides you reduce these losses, about 1..2W difference on a F32T8.

And reliability could be lower (with shunted sockets there are two ways to get the current to the arc root). And in an event of a cathode mechanical breakage the part with the emitter still get the supply, so the lamp continue to work.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies