Author Topic: why T17?  (Read 1767 times)
marcopete87

View Posts
View Gallery

why T17? « on: July 05, 2013, 11:05:43 AM » Author: marcopete87
Hi all, in Europe there aren't T17, so why they where invented and marked only in US and Australia?
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: why T17? « Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 11:35:49 AM » Author: dor123
I think that the origin of the T17, is GE, which invented the Powergroove T17 fluorescent lamps with have a tube with a non-circular cross section. These tubes are used where a very high luminosity per unit length of the lamp is necessary (They are somewhat the fluorescent equivalent to short-arc xenon, metal halide and mercury lamps, white HPS lamps, projection/stage lighting halogen lamps, photoflood incandescent lamps and high power LEDs. All of these lightsources have a very high loading per unit size. Unlike with fluorescent lamp, which this the negative impact on lamp life was encountered by anode wires or plates, and by the large T17 tube diameter, short-arc metal halide and mercury lamps, white HPS lamps, projection/stage lighting halogen lamps, photoflood incandescent lamps and high power LEDs, have much shorter life than their regular versions (regular MV, MH, HPS, halogen, incandescent and low power LEDs)
In the UK, this non circular cross section design was prefered for the LPS lamps.
Don't know actually why T17 lamps weren't used in Europe. Probably they were a commercial failure there.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Michael

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: why T17? « Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 06:09:53 PM » Author: Michael
@marcopete87:
Once the T17 Powergroove VHO 110W and 215W were quite popular here in Switzerland. A large number of Factories were lit by these monsters. Now only very few installations are known by me and of course their number is declining fast...
I own two F96PG17 VHO lamps, one is new from about 2010 and one is from the late 1970's. Also I have some new and used F96T12 VHO lamps which were also well known here in the past.
Alights

View Posts
View Gallery

USA (120V 60HZ)

Re: why T17? « Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 09:18:14 PM » Author: Alights
the first T17 lamps were F100T17s and were preheat 100W lamps, these came out in the 40s i think, they were offered to give a higher light output then a standard F40T12, and lamp voltage is 62V at 2A..i may be wrong tho... eventually High output and VHO replaced the F90/100T17 lamps because they were smaller and didn't require starters being a RS lamp
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies