Author Topic: Another old desk lamp,,,, a Dazor  (Read 4737 times)
Powell

View Posts
View Gallery

Another old desk lamp,,,, a Dazor « on: February 15, 2013, 05:46:32 PM » Author: Powell
Big heavy base similar to ones that clamp on the desk.  One bulb an Indonesian GE @ EOL and a Philips made in Chile it has cathode guards. This one, the base barely gets warm, compared to the ones that clamp onto a desk an run red hot.
Looks like mid 1950s.

NNNN!

jrmcferren

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Another old desk lamp,,,, a Dazor « Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 06:48:04 PM » Author: jrmcferren
Dazors are good lamps. When I run out of  :inc: Incandescent bulbs for my lamp at work (I have several packs), I will probably buy one of those and use it. I love those things.

We were issued those lamps in my tech school dorms. I loved them even though most students hated them and stashed them away in their closet. I changed the tubes in mine to GE sunshine (re-badged Chroma-50) for better light quality, but the cool white tubes worked well too.

If they made the model 1000 today and with the same quality of years past, I would be very surprised if I would have to change a ballast in my lifetime.
Powell

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Another old desk lamp,,,, a Dazor « Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 09:40:31 AM » Author: Powell
In my area in South Carolina we had some very long lived slow moving ( or not moving at all) thunderstorms with LOTS of thunder and lightning. It turned on, one lamp in a push to start desk lamp in my ham radio building, or I accidentally left it on, but I don't believe that. The LOA F17T8 dual lamp fixture has been on 24/7 for a few years and the bulbs aren't quite as bright as when new, but I expect I have passed 20,000 hours and no marks on those lamps. The dual fixture F30 has GE F30T8 lamps made for preheat, but these GE lamps, both Hungarian and Indonesian do light on RS. Sylvania does not, BTW, nor do the Duro Test F30T8 Optima 50 lamps.  End banding and a brown spot on the Indonesian one, the Hungarian one has likely 10,000 more hours and a brown or gray smudge on one end.

I did get another old desk lamp from eBay. It came with the original 1950-is Sylvania F15T12 White. I broke part of the bakelite on the socket removing the bulb for cleaning. Socket type is where you pull the bulb directly out. The T12 fits but it is too tight. This was wired with a switch and starter. It came with 2 extra bulbs. Ah, er, they sent 2 14 watt T12 GE lamps. One a Cool White Standard, and a Warm White Standard. The Warm White Standard GE had lost vacuum. Both bulbs are NOS. I will post pictures of the 2 working lamps, but not operating.

NNNN!

jrmcferren

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Another old desk lamp,,,, a Dazor « Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 05:27:26 PM » Author: jrmcferren
Looks like you didn't have the off button latched down. I had a desk lamp when I was younger that didn't latch off. Thunderstorms, computer monitor degaussing below it, even static charges would make the lamp glow dimly for a while and then die out. Something started a weak discharge in the tube. Don't know where it is anymore, but it had a 14 watt daylight tube in it.
Powell

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Another old desk lamp,,,, a Dazor « Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 05:44:01 PM » Author: Powell
Maybe so. Only one of the daylight lamps started though.

NNNN!

migette1

View Posts
View Gallery

Peter

migette1
Re: Another old desk lamp,,,, a Dazor « Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 03:55:13 PM » Author: migette1
I have a Dazor which was brought back from US but not by me, really good quality has 2 tubes and these were often featured on desks in old films classics I think, will have to put it on the gallery.

Interested in the history of electric lighting and incandescent in particular and neon glow lamps.

Cavannus

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Another old desk lamp,,,, a Dazor « Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 12:11:15 AM » Author: Cavannus
My desklamp is the Dazor (made in Canada under license), I agree that they're still the best.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies