Author Topic: Removing rust from a galvanized steel plate  (Read 2385 times)
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Removing rust from a galvanized steel plate « on: August 17, 2013, 05:40:16 PM » Author: Ash
I opened coupl days ago the washing machine. After it worked flawlessly for 20 years, it tripped the breaker so i opened to see whats going on. It had a tiny leak over many years, unill it happened that one drop splashed from the vibration and hit where it did not belong, and shorted out

Anyway, the bottom plate of the chassis is very rusty over most of its area as result of being permanently wet. The plate is thick good material that does look like some sort of steel, and the texture on ts surface (in the unaffected areas) looks like some sorta galvanized coating

I applied Hammerite Quita Oxido as per instructions, it managed to make a few clear shiny spots but the rest is still coated with pretty solid rust that does not go off after rubbing

Any other way to remove the rust without compromising the thickness of the metal (it is good and strong for the most part of its thickness) ?
sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Removing rust from a galvanized steel plate « Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 07:24:07 PM » Author: sol
I am assuming the rusted area is inside the washing machine cabinet, and not seen unless you open it up for repairs etc. This is what I would do in this situation, since the appearance is not critical. I would simply sand out as much rust as possible, and then thoroughly clean it up (with a good degreasing agent such as trisodium phosphate detergent). Then I would apply a primer followed by rust paint (here in North America the most common brand is Tremclad ; I don't know what is available in your part of the world, but a similar product shoud exist). I would paint it a colour that is the furthest from the brown reddish colour of rust (such as bright blue) so that any new rust that develops is easily seen. If you are looking at restoring the galvanized coating, your best bet would be to visit a metal shop and have them re-galvanise it.
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Removing rust from a galvanized steel plate « Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 06:28:59 AM » Author: dor123
*Concered*
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 01:41:10 PM by dor123 » Logged

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Removing rust from a galvanized steel plate « Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 08:54:46 AM » Author: Ash
i mainly want to prevent any further loss of material thickness from corrosion since this is the most heavy load bearing part of the machine - all the suspension of te drum unit and its weights are mounted straight to it. For now the material thickness lost is negligible but i dont want it to corrode any more

What i planned is exactly this, remove all existing rust and paint over with primer and waterproof paint

As i left it overnight and today scrubbed it throughly with wire brush some more spots cleared up (few areas cleared pretty well) but there is still a whole lot of hard rust left, yet i allready finished a complete 225ml can of this stuff on it....

before

after

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Removing rust from a galvanized steel plate « Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 12:06:01 PM » Author: joseph_125
sol: Keep in mind that a washing machine in north america and in Israel/Europe, are two completely different products.

The internal components are what varies if they is any difference at all. And also European style washers are sold here. I really don't know why you generalize like this. Also since the thread is talking about the metal framework of the machine his instructions are still valid.
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Removing rust from a galvanized steel plate « Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 12:49:18 PM » Author: Ash
The differences are not important for the issue presented

Anyway, at the moment i applied some other rust remover substance to it, we'll see how well this one works
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 02:03:56 PM by Ash » Logged
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Removing rust from a galvanized steel plate « Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 02:06:28 PM » Author: Ash
Update : This other one made a big mess of blue and green tints that look hard on trhe surface, but released more rusty dust out

I will now try to eliminate any free rust back with the 1st material and if after that the surface will be free from crumbly rust i think it'll be fine to apply the primer

Right ?
sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Removing rust from a galvanized steel plate « Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 02:51:48 PM » Author: sol
Sounds good.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies