Author Topic: Preheat or srs ballast for 5 foot tube?  (Read 2086 times)
funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Preheat or srs ballast for 5 foot tube? « on: August 11, 2013, 10:05:56 PM » Author: funkybulb
Hello everyone

I want to get the longest life out of the 5 foot Y12 GB made  tube that been imported from united kindom the question is
Wich ballast is the best to use for tube life? I have 5 foot preheat/ switch start ballast and HO SRS  ballast.

Jeremy

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Preheat or srs ballast for 5 foot tube? « Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 10:47:00 AM » Author: Ash
I think Switch Start and electronic starter with preheating time
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Preheat or srs ballast for 5 foot tube? « Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 02:05:58 PM » Author: Medved
It depend on how the tube will be used:
For occasionally used showcase I would use preheat circuit with manual preheat start: It is simple and there is nothing to degrade and so change parameters over time.

For long time use per start the SRS would mean least stress on the filament wire (the current to the arc is fed from both sides). But this ballast start the lamp with not really completely heated up filaments.

A HF ballast mean less stress during the running phase (quite constant ionization, no electrode cool downs and reignitions after each zero crossing,...), but they will cold start the lamp, so usable only when there will be only very few starts.
Programmed start ballasts won't help, as you will likely not found any designed for correct operation with such old lamp (without premature cold-ignitions)
IS ballast with one wire per lamp end does wear the electrode more during each start, but will be able to operate the lamp even when the filament break (the older T12 tend to suffer from structurally brittle filaments)

For frequently switched place the preheat with an electronic starter (S10e,...) would be the best - no cold starts,...

No more selfballasted c***

funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Preheat or srs ballast for 5 foot tube? « Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 03:03:27 PM » Author: funkybulb
Thank Medved

It look like I will Go with a manual preheat option by drilling out the starter can place a normal open switch
In it,. That way I am not modding my fizzy light pack.

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Preheat or srs ballast for 5 foot tube? « Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 05:51:35 PM » Author: Ash
The SRS is raising a question to me in 1 aspect. 5ft 58w T8 is 670mA and i expect that this is the correct current for 65w T12 too. HO lamp is about 800mA. The 65w T12 is meant to accept either 670 or 800mA, but i guess that at 670mA it is warm enough for proper hot cathode discharge, then the 800mA will only wear it faster...

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Preheat or srs ballast for 5 foot tube? « Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 01:36:59 AM » Author: Medved
The HO is not 65, but 80W.
There could be tubes rated for both, but they would be labeled correspondingly (like 65/80W or so).

I doubt a tube labeled only "65W" would be rated for the 800mA ballast.

To carry the extra load, the HO tubes have special electrode arrangement (extra anodes) to relieve the filament, without such feature the higher current will most likely overheat the filament...

No more selfballasted c***

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies