Author Topic: colors of GE R30 incandescent lamps  (Read 1081 times)
RadxD461

View Posts
View Gallery

colors of GE R30 incandescent lamps « on: April 26, 2021, 02:23:32 PM » Author: RadxD461
what colors did the GE 75-watt R30 reflector lamps come in? I'm trying to get a whole set of colors.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 02:27:59 PM by F20T12 » Logged
Desultory13
Re: colors of GE R30 incandescent lamps « Reply #1 on: April 26, 2021, 03:40:37 PM » Author: Desultory13
They were available in pink, red, yellow, amber, green, blue, and blue-white.
Check the web finds board there is a listing for a lot of 5 blue-white 75w R30s.
RadxD461

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: colors of GE R30 incandescent lamps « Reply #2 on: April 26, 2021, 04:08:26 PM » Author: RadxD461
They were available in pink, red, yellow, amber, green, blue, and blue-white.
Check the web finds board there is a listing for a lot of 5 blue-white 75w R30s.
do you know where I can find a red?
Desultory13
Re: colors of GE R30 incandescent lamps « Reply #3 on: April 26, 2021, 04:28:43 PM » Author: Desultory13
do you know where I can find a red?
The best advice I can give you there is keep checking eBay.
I'm currently doing the same as I need red and amber to complete the set.
I did manage to get amber in GE R40 but I'm more interested in R30.
Amazon is always possible.
RadxD461

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: colors of GE R30 incandescent lamps « Reply #4 on: April 26, 2021, 06:20:21 PM » Author: RadxD461
The best advice I can give you there is keep checking eBay.
I'm currently doing the same as I need red and amber to complete the set.
I did manage to get amber in GE R40 but I'm more interested in R30.
Amazon is always possible.
here is an amber. https://www.ebay.com/itm/254202235524
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 07:20:19 PM by F20T12 » Logged
James

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: colors of GE R30 incandescent lamps « Reply #5 on: April 30, 2021, 05:40:44 PM » Author: James
There is a complication here, in that I only very recently discovered that GE offered the 75R30 in different kinds of colours!  So far I found these three families:
a) External lacquer clear coatings over only the front area of the bulb
b) Stained glass effects in which various metal salts are roasted into the glass surface to colour it, normally over the front area and the back of the reflector
c) External ceramic coatings like used on the A-lamps, again applied over the front area and the back of the bulb.  These give a wide flood beam due to their diffuse nature.

So if you want to complete the full set, maybe you don't need to look for only these seven colours, but 21 different types :D

The roasted colours are especially interesting to me, these are very high quality clear colours that are absolutely scratchproof and weatherproof.  It seems only GE applied this, but other manufacturers used the so-called "Roasted Red" stain for the fronts of their infrared reflector lamps.  It was a slow and expensive process, so I suppose GE fell in line with other companies and downgraded to the external cheap lacquer coatings when it became necessary to reduce the costs of their lamps.
Desultory13
Re: colors of GE R30 incandescent lamps « Reply #6 on: May 01, 2021, 10:38:46 PM » Author: Desultory13
There is a complication here, in that I only very recently discovered that GE offered the 75R30 in different kinds of colours!  So far I found these three families:
a) External lacquer clear coatings over only the front area of the bulb
b) Stained glass effects in which various metal salts are roasted into the glass surface to colour it, normally over the front area and the back of the reflector
c) External ceramic coatings like used on the A-lamps, again applied over the front area and the back of the bulb.  These give a wide flood beam due to their diffuse nature.

So if you want to complete the full set, maybe you don't need to look for only these seven colours, but 21 different types :D

The roasted colours are especially interesting to me, these are very high quality clear colours that are absolutely scratchproof and weatherproof.  It seems only GE applied this, but other manufacturers used the so-called "Roasted Red" stain for the fronts of their infrared reflector lamps.  It was a slow and expensive process, so I suppose GE fell in line with other companies and downgraded to the external cheap lacquer coatings when it became necessary to reduce the costs of their lamps.
That sure is interesting information James.
Quite awhile back I got a vintage GE 75w yellow R30.
Expecting the usual lacquer finish this one has what I believe is a ceramic coating applied to both the front and the back of the bulb.
It gives off a very diffuse yellow light as opposed to the lacquer variety.
I've been very confused by this particular lamp as I've never encountered this kind of finish before.
I've been buying R30 color lamps for years and they always have the lacquer finish.
James

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: colors of GE R30 incandescent lamps « Reply #7 on: May 04, 2021, 01:11:35 PM » Author: James
You should check the coating on the 50ER30 pink you sent me recently.  At first I thought that was lacquered, but I was astonished to find that it is an ion-impregnated stained glass colouration.  It is completely scratch resistant.  I am even half wondering if this is not on the inside surface of the bulb, rather than outside.  I need to take it into work and analyse the chemical composition of the external glass surface in the pink and the clear regions.

I also have one of those diffuse-coated yellow lamps (and there are some green for sale now on Ebay).  I have not been able to find those listed in any of the GE catalogues so I don't know when they were made, or the reason for that coating vs the usual clear colours.
Desultory13
Re: colors of GE R30 incandescent lamps « Reply #8 on: May 04, 2021, 04:21:50 PM » Author: Desultory13
You should check the coating on the 50ER30 pink you sent me recently.  At first I thought that was lacquered, but I was astonished to find that it is an ion-impregnated stained glass colouration.  It is completely scratch resistant.  I am even half wondering if this is not on the inside surface of the bulb, rather than outside.  I need to take it into work and analyse the chemical composition of the external glass surface in the pink and the clear regions.

I also have one of those diffuse-coated yellow lamps (and there are some green for sale now on Ebay).  I have not been able to find those listed in any of the GE catalogues so I don't know when they were made, or the reason for that coating vs the usual clear colours.
That's truly amazing news about the ER30s James!
I'm going to have to get them out later and take a much closer look at them.
When they were shipped to me one of them was broken during shipping.
I cleaned up the glass from the case and while I'm not totally sure but I think all of the coating is on the inside but that's not confirmed.
If you do analyze them at work PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU FIND!

As far as the coated yellow I'm going to look for a date code.
Also I have to recheck ebay because they're may be some green GE 75w R30s with the same coating for sale.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies