Author Topic: No arctube sputtering/staining in this video  (Read 4241 times)
imj
No arctube sputtering/staining in this video « on: October 11, 2013, 05:39:57 PM » Author: imj
I saw this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRgJAOw1f4I of a Philips HPL-N 250w looks like made in China. The guy in the video says it's a new lamp so the arctube looks clear but when he fires it up there is no sputtering and staining of the arctube after ignition it's like it's still new from the box. Now when I fire up my lamps there is sputtering and leaves black deposits on the arctube wall which clears up slowly as the arc gets hotter and evcen when the lamp has been left burning for some time the arctube is stained with the thin layer of the deposit.
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: No arctube sputtering/staining in this video « Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 01:09:50 AM » Author: Medved
The haze you are describing is not an electrode sputtering, but mercury deposit. It form, when the mercury is quickly evaporated from the electrode surface, as the electrode heat up (during the first one or two seconds after ignition). As the arctube wall is way cooler at that time, the mercury condense there and form the haze.

Now for the electrode to evaporate the mercury, the mercury have to be present on it before the ignition.
It settle there after shut down, when the whole thing cool down, as the metal electrode attract the mercury acting as the "condensation nuclei".
Because the lamp on the video is operated base up, the bottom electrode is colder, even during cool down, so it become the main spot for the mercury to condense. And practically all the mercury condense there. Around this electrode you will see quite heavy coat after ignition.
But as the bottom electrode attract nearly all the mercury, nothing significant remain for the top electrode mercury coat, so there is nothing to evaporate after ignition, so the top end remain clear even for the first seconds after ignition.

No more selfballasted c***

imj
Re: No arctube sputtering/staining in this video « Reply #2 on: October 12, 2013, 03:16:59 AM » Author: imj
It seems to happen more obvious in China lamps even Philips. I have one Belgium 80w HPL-N no deposite and one China 80w HPL-N visible deposit. Does this condensation have to do with quality of the lamp? I bought one off brand 80w MV this week and the arctube had quite a heavy greyish coat along and around the electrodes after one lighting of it.
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: No arctube sputtering/staining in this video « Reply #3 on: October 12, 2013, 03:42:22 AM » Author: dor123
When you turn on a mercury lamp, you see deposites of mercury on the lower part of the arctube. During warm up, these deposites disappears.
You can see this also with CFLs and T5s, when you turns them on, as a blackening on the ends that disappears gradually.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: No arctube sputtering/staining in this video « Reply #4 on: October 12, 2013, 03:51:48 AM » Author: Medved
Does this condensation have to do with quality of the lamp?

Not at all, assuming it is the mercury (so it evaporate with the lamp warming up).
This phenomenon could only not present, when the arc tube have excessively high thermal losses on some spots (oversized seals,...), causing the mercury to first condense there.
But well thermally balanced arc tube will always condense on the metal electrode first, so yielding this fogging after following turn ON.

imj
Re: No arctube sputtering/staining in this video « Reply #5 on: October 12, 2013, 11:58:46 PM » Author: imj
The mercury arc rectifier also has this similar greyish coat in the bulb area that dosen't disappear. I guess it's the same phenomenon that gives it a very 'used' look.
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: No arctube sputtering/staining in this video « Reply #6 on: October 13, 2013, 03:32:59 AM » Author: Medved
The mercury arc rectifier also has this similar greyish coat in the bulb area that dosen't disappear. I guess it's the same phenomenon that gives it a very 'used' look.

Indeed. There the mercury all the time evaporate from the cathode, so the gas condense on the cooling bulb wall, while it condense first only into the tiny droplets (creating the haze), these tiny droplets grow by absorbing other gas, join together and then and flow back to the cathode.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies