Author Topic: Halogen ban delayed two years in the European Union  (Read 2218 times)
Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Halogen ban delayed two years in the European Union « on: November 13, 2013, 08:34:05 PM » Author: Silverliner
I found this article the other day and thought to let you know.

http://freedomlightbulb.blogspot.com/

The reason for the delay is to allow LEDs to mature more then manufacturers will drop both halogens and CFLs in favor of LEDs.

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

BG101

View Posts
View Gallery

EYE H80 Mercury Vapour

Brian TheTellyman
Re: Halogen ban delayed two years in the European Union « Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 03:41:28 PM » Author: BG101
Hopefully some manufacturers will see sense. I don't see LEDs ever becoming appropriate for heated display units, food warmers etc.

BG

Say NO to DICTATORSHIP in the form of bulb/tube/ballast bans !!

Michael

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Halogen ban delayed two years in the European Union « Reply #2 on: December 25, 2013, 10:17:51 AM » Author: Michael
Do to the high demand for  Eco halogen in Europe bulbs Osram Germany extended the production of halogen capsules!
toomanybulbs

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Halogen ban delayed two years in the European Union « Reply #3 on: December 25, 2013, 12:13:56 PM » Author: toomanybulbs
these bans are the result of folks that cannot see beyond the price tag.
add to that overloaded power grids and there is lots of incentive to do something.
the bulb makers could have quietly retooled overnight and switched fully to the 72w halogen and never looked back.no bans needed.just label them as 100w equivalent.
now they mainly sell as the next best thing that folks can buy.they could have been accepted without a fight.and save a bit of power too.
though i use very few old school incans i want quality and performance from whatever is next.
i simply used old fluorescent fixtures with high cri tubes.those subsidised cfl's got relegated to garage and porch lighting because of the mfrs refusal to make them in a 5000k high cri version.yes that happens a lot around here.
remember better in every way and same or lower cost=they sell themselves.
that blog is so lopsided its not even funny.
but the bulb ban is just as silly!
btw a lot of those subsidised cfl have a rather weird color rendering that is poor for normal indoor use.only the ge were decent.the uninex / k-lite ones are a weird pink/peach color.out to the barn with those!my mom despises them too.basement and garage use there too.
the places they save the least energy!
industry needs to stop shooting itself in the foot!
BG101

View Posts
View Gallery

EYE H80 Mercury Vapour

Brian TheTellyman
Re: Halogen ban delayed two years in the European Union « Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 12:34:52 PM » Author: BG101
That's good news, but it's unfortunate that we can't buy pearl (frosted) ones here even though they are sometimes listed as an option on the packaging. These would be ideal replacements. The clear ones are too harsh and glary with their compact filaments making them unsuitable for a lot of fittings, even when used with dimmers.

As for subsidized/free CFLs from power companies etc., these are invariably 2700°K and have B22d caps (or BC-3 for some recent builds) and no other choice is offered, shame as I don't use warm-white lamps anywhere and CFLs overheat in the bathroom globe, the only ceiling BC fitting in the house. In fact a clear halogen will be OK in this as a replacement when the existing bulb fails. I gave away the last ones posted by the power company :-)

BG

Todd1956
Re: Halogen ban delayed two years in the European Union « Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 09:05:13 AM » Author: Todd1956
We still can buy GLS lamps up to 200w in Singapore but it's also in decline. Our government did mention a while back to allow the change to take place 'naturally'. And there has been a surge of Osram Halogena lamps since the bulb ban in Europe. I suspect they are being dumped to Asian countries with no bulb ban.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 09:07:24 AM by imj » Logged
Todd1956
Re: Halogen ban delayed two years in the European Union « Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 04:33:33 PM » Author: Todd1956
There is a nasty problem with most LEDs in the form of copious EM radiation compared to CFLs or HF fluorescents. I operate an amateur radio station and I KNOW!
Todd1956
Re: Halogen ban delayed two years in the European Union « Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 04:37:47 PM » Author: Todd1956
That's good news, but it's unfortunate that we can't buy pearl (frosted) ones here even though they are sometimes listed as an option on the packaging. These would be ideal replacements. The clear ones are too harsh and glary with their compact filaments making them unsuitable for a lot of fittings, even when used with dimmers.

As for subsidized/free CFLs from power companies etc., these are invariably 2700°K and have B22d caps (or BC-3 for some recent builds) and no other choice is offered, shame as I don't use warm-white lamps anywhere and CFLs overheat in the bathroom globe, the only ceiling BC fitting in the house. In fact a clear halogen will be OK in this as a replacement when the existing bulb fails. I gave away the last ones posted by the power company :-)

BG
"The clear ones are too harsh and glary"

Adaptors that take G9 capsules are available with frosted screw on covers, look on Ebay etc
BG101

View Posts
View Gallery

EYE H80 Mercury Vapour

Brian TheTellyman
Re: Halogen ban delayed two years in the European Union « Reply #8 on: January 18, 2014, 01:43:37 PM » Author: BG101
Thanks, I will have a look out for those. I had planned to fit a capsule in a burnt-out Thorn 5" globe bulb but that is still on my round-tuit pile! Plus I'll have to find some way of venting the bulb, unless of course I can rig up a pump and reduce the air pressure inside it.

BG

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies