Author Topic: Legal 100 Watt incandescents  (Read 4844 times)
Keyless

View Posts
View Gallery

Legal 100 Watt incandescents « on: December 23, 2013, 12:45:22 PM » Author: Keyless
Just came across these, is this to good to be true??? Please say yes  :D

http://www.newcandescent.com/store/customer/
DieselNut

View Posts
View Gallery

John

jonathon.graves johng917 GeorgiaJohn
Re: Legal 100 Watt incandescents « Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 02:19:09 PM » Author: DieselNut
Awesome!  They get around the "ban" by being 130 volt rated (thus not "full wattage" at 120v) and by being "rough service" (thus classified as a "specialty" lamp).  I am glad there are loopholes.  Too bad ballast manufacturers could not do similar things, with the exception of "sign" ballasts, which are exempt.

Preheat Fluorescents forever!
I love diesel engines, rural/farm life and vintage lighting!

Keyless

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Legal 100 Watt incandescents « Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 02:49:39 PM » Author: Keyless
Im still in disbelief they got around the federal law. Either way I am ecstatic they managed to find a loop hole. I know this, I will be buying a lot of ruff service bulbs from now on :) I hate CFLs and the halogens just dont last as long as they claim in my experience. I don't mind leds, Im test piloting a few with great liking, but no matter what nothing can come close to an old fashioned incandescent.  
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Legal 100 Watt incandescents « Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 03:36:15 PM » Author: Medved
This loophole exist in Europe as well, but the problem is, for the same output as the original 100W you need at least a 150W lamp...

No more selfballasted c***

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Legal 100 Watt incandescents « Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 04:35:32 PM » Author: AngryHorse
And their, (no doubt), thrown together far eastern tat?

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

jrmcferren

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Legal 100 Watt incandescents « Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 04:40:21 PM » Author: jrmcferren
The law has a rule that if the sale of rough service lamps double, they get banned.
Keyless

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Legal 100 Watt incandescents « Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, 05:21:40 PM » Author: Keyless
Thats one of the first things I noticed, the 10,000 hour life is just sacrificed from the light output. But to be fair they have their place in tough to reach or re-lamp fixtures, with a life expectancy more than most CFLs :D The bulbs I guess are similar to the Feit Electric decade brand light bulbs which were some incredibly long lasting bulbs. Those were probably my favorite off all time giving a soft warm glow.

I sincerely hope the law doesnt go after them for exceeding any set limits. If so I will be really heartbroken, but just in case it does happen I plan on stocking up before hand.     
ace100w120v

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Legal 100 Watt incandescents « Reply #7 on: December 23, 2013, 09:04:16 PM » Author: ace100w120v
Yeah the rough-service types are exempt.  Yeah ever seen those SLI "Supreme Extralife" ones?
RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Legal 100 Watt incandescents « Reply #8 on: December 24, 2013, 02:21:04 AM » Author: RyanF40T12
Yup I still have a box of I believe 4 SLI 75 Watt clear, super long life.  I love em. 

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Legal 100 Watt incandescents « Reply #9 on: December 24, 2013, 05:19:19 AM » Author: dor123
Awesome!  They get around the "ban" by being 130 volt rated (thus not "full wattage" at 120v) and by being "rough service" (thus classified as a "specialty" lamp).  I am glad there are loopholes.  Too bad ballast manufacturers could not do similar things, with the exception of "sign" ballasts, which are exempt.

What I see, is that they dodge the ban not by rating the lamps at 130V (Lamps rated "Between 120-130V"), but by describing the lamps as "rough service", so they can be imported legally, as rough service lamps aren't part of the ban.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 05:35:07 AM by dor123 » Logged

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Keyless

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Legal 100 Watt incandescents « Reply #10 on: December 24, 2013, 06:03:18 AM » Author: Keyless
"What I see, is that they dodge the ban not by rating the lamps at 130V (Lamps rated "Between 120-130V"), but by describing the lamps as "rough service", so they can be imported legally, as rough service lamps aren't part of the ban."

That was a smart move. I am glad they did that I will doing anything for incandescent bulbs in select fixtures.

Just asking all the light bulb experts, between Feit electric, SLI, incandescent (if anyone has tried them) who makes a better bulb?

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Legal 100 Watt incandescents « Reply #11 on: December 24, 2013, 07:10:55 AM » Author: AngryHorse
This `rough service` thing maybe quickly withdrawn, as jrmcferren points out.
A classic thing happen`d in the UK in the 1990/2000s, the government made all vintage cars ,(built in the 60s), exempt from the very high priced road tax, after vintage car collectors complained that they were only using the cars for yesteryear shows.

But the government didn`t specify this, and within 2 years people were getting rid of their new cars and buying older, (more polluting and dangerous), cars from breakers yards just to get around the road tax ban!! ;D

Free tax was soon dropped for everyone, and the rules tightened up, and I can see the same thing happening with a "mass buy up" of rough service GLS, one the powers that be get wind of whats going on.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 07:54:38 AM by LinearSLI/H » Logged

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

Michael

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Legal 100 Watt incandescents « Reply #12 on: December 24, 2013, 12:51:47 PM » Author: Michael
Here in Switzerland almost all normal incandescent lamps are banned for domestic use but there is a small lamp manufacturer which still makes incandescent lamps up to 1500W beside their special lamp fanufacturing for special purposes.

They are all made in Switzerland by Righi Licht AG, it's a company I visited this summer.
Keyless

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Legal 100 Watt incandescents « Reply #13 on: December 24, 2013, 08:25:49 PM » Author: Keyless
What is the dominating replacement bulb in Switzerland? Hope not CFLs. Can you still get any type of incandescent in a regular store?

Sounds like Switzerland just jumped on the bulb ban. 
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Legal 100 Watt incandescents « Reply #14 on: December 25, 2013, 01:00:42 AM » Author: dor123
In Israel, the dominating replacement bulb is the CFL and the LED. CFLs replaces here HIDs as well.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies