Author Topic: Philips Alto 40 Watt. OK for Old HPF RS Ballasts?  (Read 2035 times)
TheUniversalDave1

View Posts
View Gallery

Philips Alto 40 Watt. OK for Old HPF RS Ballasts? « on: January 10, 2014, 09:28:02 PM » Author: TheUniversalDave1
About a month ago, I bought a ten pack of Philips Alto F40 T12 CWS. The package said "these lamps are better for the environment because of the reduced mercury content." Then I got to thinking, isn't that what they do with 34 watt lamps? I have also noticed that old 70's ballasts are just a little bit louder when running 40 watt Philips Altos. What do you all think? ???
nicksfans

View Posts
View Gallery

Down with lamp bans!

GoL the.baus.of.all.bauses UCDl2EWWZc9h1IZXcfGU9OZA nicksfans
Re: Philips Alto 40 Watt. OK for Old HPF RS Ballasts? « Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 10:16:49 PM » Author: nicksfans
I'm surprised your ballast sounds louder with F40 Altos. As far as I know they're electrically equivalent to any other F40.

I like my lamps thick, my ballasts heavy, and my fixtures tough.

My Gallery
Instagram
YouTube

TheUniversalDave1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Philips Alto 40 Watt. OK for Old HPF RS Ballasts? « Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 10:35:40 PM » Author: TheUniversalDave1
Maybe it's just my imagination. ::) I just wanted to make sure I was not unbeknowingly cooking my ballasts. I installed 60 F40 Altos in fixtures that all had 1976 Universal Therm-O-Matic ballasts. Speaking of which, I have said ballast running said lamps above my head right now!
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Philips Alto 40 Watt. OK for Old HPF RS Ballasts? « Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 12:59:18 AM » Author: Medved
Or the ballasts just get louder over time...

No more selfballasted c***

TheUniversalDave1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Philips Alto 40 Watt. OK for Old HPF RS Ballasts? « Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 02:23:35 PM » Author: TheUniversalDave1
One thing I noticed for sure is that my 1976 Universal gets extremely hot when running Philips Alto F40's. I have never seen any magnetic ballast get so hot running 40 watt lamps. I almost got burned when I checked on it today.
xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Philips Alto 40 Watt. OK for Old HPF RS Ballasts? « Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 08:36:22 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Try that same ballast with a pair of older F40's, does it really stay that much cooler? (I'd be surprised as my understanding was the same as what nicksfans said - that is once the lamps have warmed up, not when there cold/flickery)

I've had 2xF40T12 ballasts that got so hot that you could probably cook dinner on them (infact I discontinued using a couple because they got so hot)

The F34 lamps weren't low mercury like an Alto, there was some difference in the fill gas, and I believe some sorta coating on the glass. I had seen it posted as to exactly what the differences were, but now I don't remember...

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

arcblue

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Philips Alto 40 Watt. OK for Old HPF RS Ballasts? « Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 04:01:36 PM » Author: arcblue
The green ends on those lamps are a sign they will poison the cathodes and severely degrade the ballasts.

Just kidding, but I just won't use Altos...have seen many (mostly T8) go mercury-starved (dim, or even pink). I don't like the green ends either. I am partial to GE or Sylvania, or older (full-mercury) Philips lamps. The Altos have the lowest mercury content of all brands, and have thinner glass. Therefore, I would recommend Altos in any location where the lamps are likely to get broken.

I'm lampin...

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies