Author Topic: Need some F48PGT17CWs?  (Read 3156 times)
Larry

View Posts
View Gallery

Rated PG 17

Need some F48PGT17CWs? « on: April 02, 2014, 12:28:09 PM » Author: Larry
Here are some F48PGT17CWs @ $25 each.

But as you might figure.....

You have to buy a case of 12 @ $300. ::)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/F48PG17CWGE-Fluorescent-Lamp-110-Watt-48-inch-/290393798356?
pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item439cd1b6d4

I just bought a case as it may be a while before there is another listing at this price. :D

Update: 4/9/14 This place has really slow shipping.
I contacted them today to find out where the bulbs were and they had to go look and find the order. :o
It will be more than two weeks to get it here.
Must be sending it by Mule train. ::)

Update: 4/16/14 I received the twelve 48 inch PGs today and they all arrived in perfect condition.
The box looks old but had a bar code printed on it so they can't be too old.
The bulbs were a little dusty but the box was factory sealed, so I don't know where the dust came from.
I can't find a date on the box, but the bulbs were etched 01 24 about 4 inches from one end so I don't know what that means.
I don't know when production of the 4 foot PGs stopped.

But I am going to make a custom PG fixture for two bulbs and if it works out ok, I am going to make three more for the garage and replace all my 8 foot Home Depot T12 fixtures.

Update: After doing some research into new fixtures it seems that the no fixture manufacturer today makes a 4 foot HO fixture that the 4 foot T17 PGs will fit.
It looks like a 8 foot two bulb HO fixture will have to be cut down to 4 foot.
This is the plan and I think it will be a easy project.
The 8 foot HO fixtures are the same price as a four foot fixture that would require more modification.
The 8 foot HO fixture has everything you need except for the 48 inch PG ballast and those are available on E bay.  

http://www.zorotools.com/g/Low%20Bay%20Fluorescent%20Industrial%20and%20Shop%20Lights%20Heavy-Duty/00055625/?category=6569

I just knew it would not be simple. ;D

Update 5/6/14 Actually it was simple. :D
I made a 4 foot PG fixture from a 8 foot fixture no problem.
Cutting down the fixture and installing a new PG magnetic ballast was not difficult at all.
I will try to get some pictures of it before I hang it in my garage.

I have to get a 120 volt relay from Radio Shack to run the fixture from my garage door opener.
The double bulb 4 foot PG fixture would fry the little relay in the opener with out it. :D

« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 02:33:04 AM by Larry » Logged

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's GE Power Groove

DieselNut

View Posts
View Gallery

John

jonathon.graves johng917 GeorgiaJohn
Re: Need some F48PGT17CWs? « Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 10:40:46 AM » Author: DieselNut
You can still buy the Leviton RDC sockets that are made for PG17s (with vertical slots). You could get a 4 foot HO fixture and convert the ballast/sockets to VHO and vertical slot sockets.

Preheat Fluorescents forever!
I love diesel engines, rural/farm life and vintage lighting!

Larry

View Posts
View Gallery

Rated PG 17

Re: Need some F48PGT17CWs? « Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 10:53:57 AM » Author: Larry
You can still buy the Leviton RDC sockets that are made for PG17s (with vertical slots). You could get a 4 foot HO fixture and convert the ballast/sockets to VHO and vertical slot sockets.

Thanks John,

Like this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/221384928674?lpid=82

And this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEVITON-13465-Lamp-Holder-Fluorescent-Fixed-600-VAC-/331135084803?_trksid=p2054897.l5660

Will these allow enough clearance for the diameter T17 PGs?
I would like to use these lamp holders so the indentations in the PGs are facing down.
Like you say, I would rather use a four foot fixture instead of cutting down a 8 foot fixture if I can. :D

This is what I am looking at for a 4 foot fixture.
When the picture of the fixture is blown up to 1600% it looks like these lamp holders above would fit in this fixture.
But it is hard to tell from just pictures sometimes. :P

http://www.acuitybrandslighting.com/library/ll/documents/specsheets/afp.pdf

Available here as the first item on the list.

http://www.zorotools.com/g/Low%20Bay%20Fluorescent%20Industrial%20and%20Shop%20Lights%20Heavy-Duty/00055625/?category=6569

I would have to find the correct ballast for the 4 foot PGs.
I am not sure which one is the best for this application. ???
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 06:21:54 PM by Larry » Logged

DieselNut

View Posts
View Gallery

John

jonathon.graves johng917 GeorgiaJohn
Re: Need some F48PGT17CWs? « Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 03:30:34 PM » Author: DieselNut
No, you need the vertical slot type, and I recommend the kind with screw terminals.
Something like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leviton-High-Output-T-8-T-12-800mA-Fluorescent-Light-Lamp-Holder-Vertical-493-/231183679640?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35d39f0098

Preheat Fluorescents forever!
I love diesel engines, rural/farm life and vintage lighting!

Larry

View Posts
View Gallery

Rated PG 17

Re: Need some F48PGT17CWs? « Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 03:38:23 PM » Author: Larry
Thanks John,

Right now am working on cutting down a 8 foot fixture to make a 5 foot fixture out of it for the F90T17s and it is going very well so far.

Here is a  update.

Update 4/9/14
I received the Lithonia 8 foot HO fixture and as you might figure it was bent in the middle and the parts were rattling around in the box scratching some of the paint.
I was able to bend it back out and it looks ok now.
The quality is so so for todays fixtures.

But you have to work with what's available today.
So looking at the HO recessed turret ends and disassembled them to find that the conversion to the F40T17 bulbs was not going to be a problem at all.

I did some experimenting and found that if you take the recessed holders apart the F40T17 pins fit in the back side of the bulb holders.
So with a small drill I drilled through the holder and the bulb pins fit right in perfect.
Then cut away some of the back side of the holders so the pins were exposed.
Small insulated alligator clips fit the pins no problem.
The T17 bulb holder problem solved. :D

I had to do quite a bit of modifications to the 8 foot fixture to make it in to a 5 foot fixture but the result was much better than expected.
Also the F90T17 ballast fit into the channel, but was a tight fit.
The ballast was about a 1/8 of a inch too tall, but the reflector fit no problem.
The T17s clear the reflector by about a 1/4 inch only.
But has a factory fit look to the bulb placement in the holders.

I am using the F40T17 ballast and bulbs now because I have been unable to find two F90T17s bulbs.
They are still available, but...
Every place so far wants to sell them by the case for $$$.
So I am still looking.
I have the correct ballast and the starters, but not the bulbs.

If I can modify this fixture, I am sure anyone here could do it also.
Now that I know how to do it the next one should go a lot faster.
If any one wants to know the details of this conversion, let me know and I will go through the process and explain it the best I can.
It is a fairly easy modification requiring no special tools, but it is not a inexpensive modification.
When finished I will give a cost breakdown.

From a distance it looks like a normal 4 foot fixture, but a closer look and those big T17s make it look really different.
It is going to find a place over my work bench soon.;D

Update: 4/17/14 I just finished installing it over my work bench on chains and it came out really well and looks like it came from the factory. ;D
The fixture is heavy 35 lbs :o using the preheat F90T17 ballast so I reinforced the ceiling hooks so they would not pull out of the sheetrock and have it drop on my head. :o
I put a pull chain switch a string and washer on the string for that shop light effect.
A three wire plug and of course it is a grounded fixture.

One of the very first things I noticed is there is almost no shadow from the F90T17s.

Almost like the light is not stopped by your hand unless very close to the bench.
The large bulb surface area really diffuses the light instead of concentrating it like the newer T4 bulbs do.
Very nice to work under.
The Advanced preheat magnetic ballast has just a very slight hum and runs only warm even after several hours of operation.

In my opinion, the ultimate shop light.
Looks like the GE engineers back then did a good job. ;D    

« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 06:40:33 PM by Larry » Logged

themaritimegirl

View Posts
View Gallery

Florence

themaritimegirl themaritimegirl themaritimegirl
Re: Need some F48PGT17CWs? « Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 06:01:05 PM » Author: themaritimegirl
Good show Larry; any chance we can see a photo of the fixture?

Electrical Engineering Graduate
YouTube | Twitter | Instagram

Larry

View Posts
View Gallery

Rated PG 17

Re: Need some F48PGT17CWs? « Reply #6 on: April 09, 2014, 08:35:25 PM » Author: Larry
Good show Larry; any chance we can see a photo of the fixture?

My digital camera is 10 years old and won't format correctly with the new software.
I can try my new Sony camcorder if I can figure out how to take individual pictures with it and down load them.

What is the best way to put pictures on here?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 02:55:40 AM by Larry » Logged

marcopete87

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Need some F48PGT17CWs? « Reply #7 on: April 13, 2014, 02:55:14 PM » Author: marcopete87
I think an new memory card can solve the problem.
Or, try to remove dust.

Larry

View Posts
View Gallery

Rated PG 17

Re: Need some F48PGT17CWs? « Reply #8 on: April 13, 2014, 03:11:18 PM » Author: Larry
I am going to use my video camera on stills.
But I am waiting until I can find some F90T17s bulbs first and then change out the F40T17 bulbs and ballast I have now.
This way I can show fixture pictures assembled and disassembled.

The F90T17 ballast and starters were easy to find, but I am having a difficult time finding the bulbs.
I was told by two different suppliers that GE has stopped production of the F90T17s and when they are gone, they are gone.

So far all I have found is discontinued item. ???
I have finally found one, I just need one more.
I thought finding the bulbs would be the easy part, but has proven to be the hard part.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies