Author Topic: what type of incadescent bulbs did old streetlights use ?  (Read 17209 times)
prawnman88

View Posts
View Gallery

my old friend proteus the prawn!

what type of incadescent bulbs did old streetlights use ? « on: July 15, 2006, 10:06:59 PM » Author: prawnman88
my old streetlight has a mogul base in it im just trying to find what type of bulb it whold have used the pics of it are in my album a few people think its a old ge form 79 ? so any help whould be greatly app thank u for anyhelp . ???
Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: what type of incadescent bulbs did old streetlights use ? « Reply #1 on: July 16, 2006, 05:07:50 AM » Author: Silverliner
Hi Prawnman88, your Form 79 with the mogul socket tells me it is a 295 watt, 4000 lumen unit. 4000 nominal lumen multiple lamps come in 295 or 327 watt, depending on the life hours. I am not presently aware of any source where you can get a 295 or a 327 watt lamp, but you can use an ordinary clear 300 watt mogul based lamp. The glass shape, filament shape (horizontally mounted C shaped ring filament with 3 supports), and length are exactly the same as the 295/327 watt lamps so you'll still get the correct optics from your Form 79. Electrical stores should the clear mogul based 300 watt bulbs. I know the local one in my area does, they also carry 500 watt incandescents. Hope this helps!

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

Santaarnpaal

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: what type of incadescent bulbs did old streetlights use ? « Reply #2 on: July 16, 2006, 07:12:10 AM » Author: Santaarnpaal
Strange wattages (295 and 327). Was that common in the past?
prawnman88

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: what type of incadescent bulbs did old streetlights use ? « Reply #3 on: July 16, 2006, 08:07:42 AM » Author: prawnman88
yes it does thank u have idea what year my lights from ? is the big question must have been neat back in the day to see 300 watt /500 lighting up everything at night  ;D
TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: what type of incadescent bulbs did old streetlights use ? « Reply #4 on: July 16, 2006, 08:57:21 AM » Author: TudorWhiz
Dave (Silverliner) told me that your Form 79 is from the 1940s to 1950s...

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

Administrator of Galleryoflights.org

NiMo

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: what type of incadescent bulbs did old streetlights use ? « Reply #5 on: July 16, 2006, 03:17:37 PM » Author: NiMo
It's also possible that your form 79 used series incandescent lamps rather than multiple.  The differences between the series and multiple are:

1) the filament is a CC-2V filament rather than the CC-8 of the multiple.

2) series lamps cannot poerate on standard current, and are rated at lumens.

I believe you can operate either on that socket, though.

Group Replacement, Baby

prawnman88

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: what type of incadescent bulbs did old streetlights use ? « Reply #6 on: August 03, 2006, 02:26:16 PM » Author: prawnman88
ok kool thx for the info u have to love the old stuff u know atleast i do
TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: what type of incadescent bulbs did old streetlights use ? « Reply #7 on: August 04, 2006, 01:23:50 PM » Author: TudorWhiz
oh yeah! I love old stuff!!!! they should be respected!

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

Administrator of Galleryoflights.org

Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: what type of incadescent bulbs did old streetlights use ? « Reply #8 on: August 22, 2006, 08:51:34 PM » Author: Silverliner
Yep the US special street lighting lamps had odd wattages so they can provide the fixed lumen ratings.

Electrician.

fran4001

View Posts
View Gallery

Fran Festa hofnerholic
Re: what type of incadescent bulbs did old streetlights use ? « Reply #9 on: November 23, 2007, 09:46:44 PM » Author: fran4001
Here in northeast PA, we used medium based 58w, 103w, 189w and 202w. Mogul based lamps were 327w, 448w and one bigger one that escapes me right now. All to get the rated lumens, as mentioned before. Also, all the series streetlighting used mogul based lamps rated by amps I believe, and 6.6 was the common one I think.
Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: what type of incadescent bulbs did old streetlights use ? « Reply #10 on: November 29, 2007, 12:12:11 AM » Author: Silverliner
You meant 620w and 860w, these were the two highest wattages in multiple street lighting lamps. You are right the 6.6 amp series lamps are the most common, 15 and 20 amp series incandescent lamps were available in the past as well. In the Los Angeles area there are still thousands of 6.6 amp series incandescent street lights in use, as well as series mercury and HPS cobraheads, often shared with the incandescents on the same circuits.

Here in northeast PA, we used medium based 58w, 103w, 189w and 202w. Mogul based lamps were 327w, 448w and one bigger one that escapes me right now. All to get the rated lumens, as mentioned before. Also, all the series streetlighting used mogul based lamps rated by amps I believe, and 6.6 was the common one I think.

Electrician.

fran4001

View Posts
View Gallery

Fran Festa hofnerholic
Re: what type of incadescent bulbs did old streetlights use ? « Reply #11 on: November 29, 2007, 05:37:58 PM » Author: fran4001
Thanks Silverliner! Yes, it was the 620. We didn't use the 860 anywhere in our area that I'm aware of. Meaning, at least of all the fixtures in our scrapheap, and in our new lamps in the storerooms, never saw an 860. Which may be odd, since on big main streets in bigger towns, you'd think there would be a need.  ???
oldlights
Re: what type of incadescent bulbs did old streetlights use ? « Reply #12 on: June 27, 2009, 12:30:02 PM » Author: oldlights
I looked at a 1990 G.E. "Lamp technical guide" recently and the listings for "Multiple street lighting" were: ( in order ascending watts and life) 92/103/105,1000Lnom,189/202/205,2500Lnom,295/327,4000Lnom,405/448, 6000Lnom and 620/690,10,000Lnom. Sylvania had more offerings including 32watt,58watt (Still available)and I think something around 76, 800 lumens.At that point in time i guess the largest ones above 10,000L had been de-listed.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: what type of incadescent bulbs did old streetlights use ? « Reply #13 on: August 03, 2018, 09:47:18 AM » Author: Rommie
When I was growing up in deepest, darkest Essex in the late 50's/early 60's, we had 500W incandescents in our street. Don't really recall much about them other than that as they were swapped for MV's when I was about 5 or 6. They sparked my interest in lighting, though  ;D

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

kai

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: what type of incadescent bulbs did old streetlights use ? « Reply #14 on: August 03, 2018, 09:19:53 PM » Author: kai
In deepest, darkest eastern Germany a few streets kept their incandescent lights well into the 80s. Looked like 100 watts. You can imagine the lighting level.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies