Author Topic: Survey: Off-Topic Pictures  (Read 22668 times)
Patrick
Webmaster

View Gallery

LightingGallery
Survey: Off-Topic Pictures « on: June 01, 2014, 06:07:39 PM » Author: Patrick
We've created an off-topic category in the forums yet members continue to post non-lighting pictures in the gallery.  What action would you like the administrators to take when an off-topic photo is uploaded to the gallery?

1) Nothing, I want to see more kitties.
2) Allow an occasional off-topic picture, but warn the member if they upload more than a few.
3) Don't allow any off-topic photos.  Delete those that that are posted.

Please reply with your opinion.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 06:21:20 PM by Patrick » Logged

Patrick C., Administrator
Lighting-Gallery.net

Bulb Freak

View Gallery

Re: Survey: Off-Topic Pictures « Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 06:15:31 PM » Author: Bulb Freak
Id go with Number 2

My other hobby is buses, especially the Routemaster

FrontSideBus

View Gallery

Re: Survey: Off-Topic Pictures « Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 06:56:18 PM » Author: FrontSideBus

UK out of the EU!
http://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/index.php?cat=11271

ggillis

View Gallery

AEL 175W NEMA

Re: Survey: Off-Topic Pictures « Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 06:57:12 PM » Author: ggillis
I'm half way between #2 and #3

Red Seal Electrician

Click on the link below to view my gallery:

http://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/index.php?cat=11790

mrboojay

View Gallery

I love bulbs of all types.

mrboojay UC2tpasJaLc8IhVdjcDkI_3A mrboojay mrboojays_pics
Re: Survey: Off-Topic Pictures « Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 07:01:32 PM » Author: mrboojay
I prefer 2.

-mrboojay
My lighting-gallery.net Gallery
My YouTube Channel

Alights

View Gallery

USA (120V 60HZ)

Re: Survey: Off-Topic Pictures « Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 07:03:38 PM » Author: Alights
2 is very reasonable, at least try to show a lamp with the kitties! But the occasional audio/video equipment/washers/dryers ect is ok but not when I start to see more than one a day it's a bit annoying

I think sometimes off topic once in a while can relate, such as motors are similar to ballasts in a way and helps expand knowledge base on different things that can be useful
rjluna2

View Gallery

Robert

GoL
Re: Survey: Off-Topic Pictures « Reply #6 on: June 01, 2014, 07:10:18 PM » Author: rjluna2
I go for #2.

Pretty, please no more Chinese failure.

Patrick
Webmaster

View Gallery

LightingGallery
Re: Survey: Off-Topic Pictures « Reply #7 on: June 01, 2014, 07:17:31 PM » Author: Patrick
A lot of you are saying 2, but keep in mind that will basically mean things stay the same.  I received a lot of negative feedback this weekend regarding dor123 and a picture of a battery.  While it is true that this member has uploaded numerous non-lighting pictures over time, he actually only uploaded a couple over the entire month.  The large number of non-lighting pictures is largely the result of a handful of individuals uploading one or two now and then. 

Also it is difficult for us to track the number of non-lighting pictures posted.  it will be obvious if it becomes excessive, but it's much easier to say that we'll simply delete any non-lighting image we see. 

We can defiantly go with #2.  Just note that that will mean dor123's battery was acceptable.  Also, if it's #2, we'll be relying more on you folks to report members when the number of unrelated pictures becomes excessive.

Patrick C., Administrator
Lighting-Gallery.net

themaritimegirl

View Gallery

Florence

themaritimegirl themaritimegirl themaritimegirl
Re: Survey: Off-Topic Pictures « Reply #8 on: June 01, 2014, 07:23:53 PM » Author: themaritimegirl
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 12:06:51 PM by TheMaritimeMan » Logged

Electrical Engineering Graduate
YouTube | Twitter | Instagram

TheUniversalDave1

View Gallery

Re: Survey: Off-Topic Pictures « Reply #9 on: June 01, 2014, 09:42:36 PM » Author: TheUniversalDave1
Maybe if we could fit photos larger than 512 KB on the off topic forum, more people would start using it. I just recently learned how to fit pictures on there, and that might require shrinking the photo so small, that it defeats the purpose of starting the new topic in the first place.

Suppose someone wanted to upload a photo of their vintage console television in the off topic, but the only way to do so was to make the photo too small to see. I don't mean to sound pushy, but you did ask for my humble opinion.

I think even more irritating than that is when people consistently use poor grammar. wut makes me mad is wen ppl writ lik this. It would be awesome if we had a punishment for that. I've gotten comments that made absolutely no sense because the grammar was so poor.

"If people only knew how much I secretly hated them, they'd love me for holding it in." -Matt Groening

themaritimegirl

View Gallery

Florence

Re: Survey: Off-Topic Pictures « Reply #10 on: June 01, 2014, 10:04:42 PM » Author: themaritimegirl
The 512 KB limit still allows photos up to 3 MP in size or so - that's twice the size of the average computer display, which is plenty large in my opinion. (Look at the calculator photos I uploaded, for example.) If you're referring to the tiny picture of the Electrolux vacuums you uploaded, you made that picure only 12 KB in size. lol
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 10:08:36 PM by TheMaritimeMan » Logged

TheUniversalDave1

View Gallery

Re: Survey: Off-Topic Pictures « Reply #11 on: June 01, 2014, 10:09:23 PM » Author: TheUniversalDave1
That wasn't my picture. There was nothing I could do to make it larger. The picture of my Kirby vacuums however, had to be shrunk down quite a bit just to get it to fit. I had to crop the heck out of it and as a result, LG can't see everything else that picture had on it.

"If people only knew how much I secretly hated them, they'd love me for holding it in." -Matt Groening

themaritimegirl

View Gallery

Florence

Re: Survey: Off-Topic Pictures « Reply #12 on: June 01, 2014, 10:12:58 PM » Author: themaritimegirl
Oh, gotcha. Instead of cropping you could shrink the photo - that's what I do. (Unless you're on your iPhone, in which case, never mind.  Tongue)

DetroitTwoStroke

View Gallery

Luke

Re: Survey: Off-Topic Pictures « Reply #13 on: June 01, 2014, 10:16:28 PM » Author: DetroitTwoStroke
I also think somewhere between 2 and 3. For example, if a picture shows patio furniture, then it should only be posted in the Off-Topic section. (If there are problems uploading to the Off-Topic section, then that should be fixed.) But if a picture shows a lamp with a pet, then it still should be acceptable in the gallery since it features something lighting related.
Anyway, that's my opinion on it.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 10:19:42 PM by DetroitTwoStroke » Logged

Pride and quality workmanship should lie behind manufacturing, not greed.

ace100w120v

View Gallery

Re: Survey: Off-Topic Pictures « Reply #14 on: June 01, 2014, 10:22:08 PM » Author: ace100w120v
I'm more leaning toward #1.  I really like how we can share info about other things...for example once we had a comment thread going on a pic of a GE F20T12/C50 about lucid dreaming!
Print 
© 2005-2019 Lighting-Gallery.net | Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines