Author Topic: Old computers?  (Read 55351 times)
icefoglights

View Posts
View Gallery

ITT Low Pressure Sodium NEMA

GoL
Re: Old computers? « Reply #60 on: April 28, 2015, 01:31:59 AM » Author: icefoglights
That's quite a haul.

In my storage building, I have an IBM PII PC that I had NT4 loaded onto.  It took some working, but it had full graphics (to the ability of it's hardware), sound, network and a working modem, and was able to get online and everything.  That was about 10 years ago.  The drive bays sound interesting.

I've never seen Rambus.  Back in the day it was in use, I, like most other people who had a choice, steered wide from it.  Certainly sounds more complicated to setup, with terminators and continuity modules and stuff.

01010010 01101111 01100010 01100101 01110010 01110100

themaritimegirl

View Posts
View Gallery

Florence

themaritimegirl themaritimegirl themaritimegirl
Re: Old computers? « Reply #61 on: April 28, 2015, 03:05:57 AM » Author: themaritimegirl
I've never seen a Rambus computer, either. Horrid stuff, I've heard. Faster than SDRAM, but way expensive and prone to problems. I didn't even know about the complexity of using it, like terminators and stuff. All I can say is thank god the vast majority of Pentium 4 chipsets opted to use SDRAM and later DDR RAM, instead.

Electrical Engineering Graduate
YouTube | Twitter | Instagram

mrboojay

View Posts
View Gallery

I love bulbs of all types.

mrboojay UC2tpasJaLc8IhVdjcDkI_3A mrboojay mrboojays_pics
Re: Old computers? « Reply #62 on: April 28, 2015, 11:07:57 AM » Author: mrboojay
Yeah it was a good haul, I'm happy with it, definitely will help out in making other PCs more powerful.  Also here is a pick if the Rambus and terminators as well as the 2 machines I kept (both are the white ones with Cooler Master bays)  and on top is another case I kept, not really old per say, but it was in the pic. :P (sorry no uploaded pics I'm on my phone and the files are too large for the forums)

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4vHkHv02IljUUpINU94cndxd1k/edit?usp=docslist_api
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4vHkHv02IljcVMxSWhpX2wzVW8/edit?usp=docslist_api

Also if the tall NT PC is identical to the other I threw away then it might also use rambus, have 512 in it with 2 terminators and maybe I can upgrade it to 1GB.

I am told the reason for the terminators is because the motherboards that used them didn't like having empty slots.

And mice had seem to have made a home in the other one so the RAM (and everything else) is a bit icky.

-mrboojay
My lighting-gallery.net Gallery
My YouTube Channel

icefoglights

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Old computers? « Reply #63 on: April 28, 2015, 01:13:02 PM » Author: icefoglights
Back when i was looking for a case for my first home-built PC, that taller case on the right was one of the cases a local shop had that I looked at.  The distinctive features I remember are the floppy drive bay and power button at the top, and the wedge-shaped slot on the front with the indicator lights and reset button in it.  It wasn't the case I ended up using though.

mrboojay

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Old computers? « Reply #64 on: April 28, 2015, 01:26:05 PM » Author: mrboojay
Yeah, it is a pretty neat design, has a more refined look I guess as far as the lights are concerned.  I pulled the whole light frame out of the other one, so I have 2 of those wedge lights (that are really rectangles inside of a triangle shaped whole).

-mrboojay
My YouTube Channel

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Old computers? « Reply #65 on: April 29, 2015, 02:08:15 PM » Author: Ash
IceFogLights

You can use an ATX power supply in place of an AT one :

5V 12V -12V go to 5V 12V -12V (the -12 might be different color, check that one out)

Power Good goes to Power Good (grey in ATX, iirc orange in AT)

Most ATX power supplies dont have -5V, you can try powering the computer without it (just leave this pin on the mainboard unconnected), if it really requires -5V you can derive it from -12V with a 7905

Green (PS_ON) is shorted to Earth to power the ATX PSU up, so just connect the old mains power switch across Green and Black
themaritimegirl

View Posts
View Gallery

Florence

Re: Old computers? « Reply #66 on: April 30, 2015, 01:39:22 AM » Author: themaritimegirl
The Epson has continued to work flawlessly. I'm thinking now that it might have actually been overheating. All the times the keyboard quit working, I had the laptop running on my bed or another soft surface, and it indeed was very hot. Although the rest of the laptop ran without issue. Since then I have been making sure it stays cool. I installed Microsoft Office 95 on it. Windows 95 on this thing runs like dog crap lol. It will be a nice change when I get Windows 3.1 on it instead.

Now, while I installed Windows 95 itself via floppy (which took 2 hours!), I devised another means of data transfer to get Office on it. I also saved from recycling two Iomega Zip 100 Plus external Zip drives. These are combination parallel/SCSI drives, which is awesome since it means I can use them on both my PCs and Macs. I bought three brand new disks on eBay for $5.50, and after finding a Windows 95 driver for the drive, it all worked pretty flawlessly, using a Windows XP laptop with a parallel port to get Office 95 onto the Zip disk. It wasn't terribly slow either - it wrote the 50 MB in just a few minutes. This is the first time I've used Zip disks, and I definitely think they're awesome. They'll make it so much easier to transfer data to my vintage computers.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Old computers? « Reply #67 on: April 30, 2015, 05:26:48 PM » Author: Ash
Awesome indeed

Cosider a serial or parallel crossover cable too
icefoglights

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Old computers? « Reply #68 on: May 01, 2015, 04:54:08 AM » Author: icefoglights
Glad to see it's working for you!

Rigged up a way to test that old 486 tower.  Used the power supply from the little desktop I've been working on to fire it up.  Was able to set it up close enough for the mobo power cables to reach, along with powering the floppies and the hard drive.  Unfortunately the system couldn't see the hard drive, though the controller's ROM could, but I was able to boot it off a disk.  Has much more RAM than I thought, having 20 MB, which would have to be composed of four 4 MB SIMMs and four 1 MB SIMMs.

themaritimegirl

View Posts
View Gallery

Florence

Re: Old computers? « Reply #69 on: May 01, 2015, 11:26:07 PM » Author: themaritimegirl
Cool! Does something like FDISK not even acknowledge the drive? That's weird since the controller can see it. Who knows.

Mercurylamps

View Posts
View Gallery

240V 50Hz

Re: Old computers? « Reply #70 on: May 02, 2015, 12:11:20 AM » Author: Mercurylamps
Kinda off topic, but what irritates me whenever my oldest sister is around she will always say "How many computers do you need?!". I have two desktops, one of them used to play video games and the other is just an everyday machine. I also have a laptop.  :-\
mrboojay

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Old computers? « Reply #71 on: May 02, 2015, 12:15:04 AM » Author: mrboojay
That really isn't that many, more then those that only have one machine but still not that many. (Has 2 desktops (and another that I use not own), laptop, Windows tablet, 2009 MacBook, 2 older laptops, Late 2012 MacMini, 5-6 vintage machines (not all PCs))

She should see my computers. :P
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 12:18:30 AM by mrboojay » Logged

-mrboojay
My YouTube Channel

themaritimegirl

View Posts
View Gallery

Florence

Re: Old computers? « Reply #72 on: May 02, 2015, 01:11:47 AM » Author: themaritimegirl
Since my recycling save almost a month ago I have 24 computers now.  :o :o

Speaking of which, my next order of business is a Compaq Evo n610c, a business laptop from 2003. 1.7 GHz Pentium 4, 256 MB of RAM, 20 GB hard drive. It was made shortly after Compaq was absorbed into HP. It's an extremely well-built computer, as all of Compaq's business computers were. It's actually the most solid-feeling laptop I've ever seen. Sadly, sometime between obtaining it and testing it for the first time, I must have handled it too roughly, and broke the display.  :-[ So I removed it, and now it's a halftop. Otherwise, it works perfect, and the battery actually holds a charge!

Mercurylamps

View Posts
View Gallery

240V 50Hz

Re: Old computers? « Reply #73 on: May 02, 2015, 01:17:33 AM » Author: Mercurylamps
That really isn't that many, more then those that only have one machine but still not that many. (Has 2 desktops (and another that I use not own), laptop, Windows tablet, 2009 MacBook, 2 older laptops, Late 2012 MacMini, 5-6 vintage machines (not all PCs))

She should see my computers. :P

Exactly, two computers isn't much at all, and both of the desktops get a fair amount of use. I'm always playing games on one or using the other to do web stuff, listen to music, watch Youtube and whatever else. The laptop is good for feeling lazy and just wanting to relax on the bed or couch while surfing the net. ;)

Since my recycling save almost a month ago I have 24 computers now.  :o :o

Wow, my sister would have a field day with your computer collection compared to me. ;D

I remember way back when I was a youngster, my parents bought a brand new computer. At the time it was a Windows 98 machine and I can remember it being a few months before my little brother was born. It was a "noname" brand and I am unsure of the specs.

Because I was always on the computer, I remember someone my parents know were ditching an old Windows 3.1 desktop, again it was unbranded. It was a desktop chassis where the monitor sits on top and had the three coloured LEDs, green for power, yellow for turbo and red for HD access. It didn't have a CD rom drive but was fun for mucking about with as a child. I remember taking it apart eventually and finding it had a "Conner" brand hard disk.  :)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 01:19:39 AM by Mercurylamps » Logged
icefoglights

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Old computers? « Reply #74 on: May 02, 2015, 04:28:19 AM » Author: icefoglights
Cool! Does something like FDISK not even acknowledge the drive? That's weird since the controller can see it. Who knows.

FDISK couldn't see it.

I'm paring down my collection of old computers.  I plan on keeping the socket 3 desktop shown above, my old Gateway 2000 Pentium, a Gateway 2000 dual Pentium Pro tower, an IBM Pentium II Windows NT desktop, a unique MediaGX based desktop, an iMac DV, a Pentium III desktop which was the first PC I built, the Athlon XP desktop I built, my Gateway Pentium M notebook, an HP Pentium D Vista desktop, and my HP Core2 Duo notebook.  Everything else is going away.

My current machines are my MSi 17" i7 notebook (windows 7), the i7 desktop I built (Windows 10 preview), and an HP convertible notebook/tablet (Windows 8.1).

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies