Author Topic: What did you do today lighting wise?  (Read 254983 times)
Laurens

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1560 on: April 17, 2024, 10:55:32 AM » Author: Laurens
Built a focussing system for the Eye H50 at work, that's used for hexane or hexene and bromium to show subtitution reactions.
The Narva NF80-in-a-can is a bit more powerful and also potentially overdriven a bit (though no blackening of the arc tube is visible despite a good 15 years of occasional use), but has no system to concentrate the light or use any light radiated from the back - so with a bit of luck, the reaction happens as fast with the tiny 50w lamp, as it does with the 80w one.

Laurens

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1561 on: April 18, 2024, 02:12:46 PM » Author: Laurens
Figured out i parted out the wrong Philips SL18. I had two: one worked fine, the other produced a horrible burnt electronics stench.

I had screwed my 'good' one into a socket and after a while... stench. Ugh.

I've now opened up the other one, but i can't really see anything wrong with it. It just runs very hot.

I kept the ballast of the other SL18 so i could conceivably swap them out. But it's hard to get access to it, without damaging the E27 socket. Either way, it's now running without the glass prismatic cover, so i can get an impression of what is running so hot - the ballast or the tube itself. The glass cover would get so hot, that i couldn't hold it for longer than like 5 seconds. That's not normal for an SL...

Might have to build a ring tester to see if the stinky one has a shorted out winding in the ballast. I hope not. One thing's for sure - i can see that the capacitor is undamaged.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2024, 02:30:33 PM by Laurens » Logged
BT25

View Posts
View Gallery

Vintage HID Collector

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1562 on: April 18, 2024, 05:05:56 PM » Author: BT25
Donated some cobra-heads today to a ReStore affiliate...had way to many (needed the space)...selling and shipping them is a PITA.

First known case of Westinghouse Lifeguard Disease! :lol:
If you can say yes to any of the following, you may have it too: :poof:
Can't resist buying more even if you already have an example in your collection? :lol:
Bank account/CC statement shows unnecessary spending? ::)

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1563 on: April 18, 2024, 11:01:35 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
 Common modern stuff I presume ?

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

BT25

View Posts
View Gallery

Vintage HID Collector

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1564 on: April 19, 2024, 01:54:31 AM » Author: BT25
Yes, along with a couple of MV's that were incomplete...one worked, but the other was questionable.

First known case of Westinghouse Lifeguard Disease! :lol:
If you can say yes to any of the following, you may have it too: :poof:
Can't resist buying more even if you already have an example in your collection? :lol:
Bank account/CC statement shows unnecessary spending? ::)

icefoglights

View Posts
View Gallery

ITT Low Pressure Sodium NEMA

GoL
Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1565 on: April 19, 2024, 03:18:50 AM » Author: icefoglights
Actually, last weekend, so I'm a little late:  Wired up the ceiling light in the new room downstairs.  I went with the U-bent fixture that I picked up earlier this year.  However, I'm prepared for anything.  The ceiling box is fan rated, and I used 3-conductor cable running to the switch.  I put backing blocks in for the 2-foot square U-bent fixture, but I also put in another set of backing blocks for a 4-foot linear fixture too.  Almost ready to start hanging some sheetrock on the ceiling.

01010010 01101111 01100010 01100101 01110010 01110100

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies