Author Topic: What's your favourite light source?  (Read 4960 times)
randacnam7321

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What's your favourite light source? « Reply #15 on: January 11, 2015, 09:52:38 PM » Author: randacnam7321
Depends on the application:
LEDs and incandescents for idiot lights.
Incandescent, HID, LPS or linear fluorescent for area lighting depending on the specific requirements of the application.
Big incandescent lamps for pissing off green crazies.

Old school FTW!

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What's your favourite light source? « Reply #16 on: January 31, 2015, 02:51:38 AM » Author: Medved
Big incandescent lamps for pissing off green crazies.

That reason I like the most... :-D

No more selfballasted c***

lights*plus

View Posts
View Gallery

George Liv Photo

GoL george.liv.37 UC_OfF2pa6aOcXLAut16jw9g
Re: What's your favourite light source? « Reply #17 on: January 31, 2015, 03:41:56 AM » Author: lights*plus
MV for simplicity and durability.
LPS for its efficacy and visual acuity.
M-H for the science (contruction & operation), for usefulness as a growlight, and for the high CRI.
LED for its rapid expansion into everything including the bluest & brightest car headlights I've seen.
tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What's your favourite light source? « Reply #18 on: January 31, 2015, 04:52:32 AM » Author: tolivac
Bright,Blue car headlights-these MAY be LED.For the most part they are Xenon or Xenide.A miniature HID light.You find these in portable handheld battery powered lights,too.I have a collection of portable HID lights.Polarion is the king of these.HID car headlights come in other colors-5K,6K blue,and 4K white.You also see Green,pink,purple.These colors come from the halide salts in the arc tube.And amber color HID foglights-really just a miniature HPS lamp of sorts.BMW and some other carmakers have gone to laser lit headlights-when these shine towards you you see a "specular",dazzling,effects.And they are 4K in color.BMW uses these.And yes,LED headlights available too-Prius comes to mind.Mercedes uses them,too.
lights*plus

View Posts
View Gallery

George Liv Photo

GoL george.liv.37 UC_OfF2pa6aOcXLAut16jw9g
Re: What's your favourite light source? « Reply #19 on: January 31, 2015, 03:36:13 PM » Author: lights*plus
Bright,Blue car headlights-these MAY be LED.

As a lighting enthusiast and expert, I never walk, drive or bike without a diffraction grating in my pocket.

I can't stress enough that it's MUCH MUCH more difficult to figure anything out without one! LED spectra are quite distinct from HID halide-salts spectra.

Headlights have evolved faster than any other niche. I was shocked to see big semis on the highway with LED headlights, 2 YEARS AGO!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 03:39:18 PM by lights*plus » Logged
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What's your favourite light source? « Reply #20 on: January 31, 2015, 04:28:09 PM » Author: Medved
The LED headlights are rather a novelty than any technical advantage. Unless they are used with conjunction of some advanced adaptive beam technology - but anything more complex than a single gap (and that is available even with halogens with some car models) in the beam is still by far not yet in production (although approaching)...

By the way you may have noticed, how their proponents don't hesitate to stress how the lower power demand saves the fuel when they are in use. But "somehow" just "forget" to mention the extra mass the LED technology means to just be road worthy (beside a heat sink to cool the LED chips, it needs a headlight front lens heater to keep it transparent and not disturbing the light pattern - a "service" traditionally provided by the otherwise parasitic IR radiation from the incandescents or even HID's) and how that extra mass is responsible for way higher increase of the fuel consumption anytime that car is driven...

No more selfballasted c***

Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

All photos are brought to you by Bubby industries.

GoL Solanaceae.Keif.Fitz Keif Fitz bubby_keif
Re: What's your favourite light source? « Reply #21 on: May 24, 2015, 10:59:32 PM » Author: Solanaceae
I like magnetic MV and preheat or mag. rapid start fluorescent.  I like 6500k fluorescent lighting too. Don't forget the warm glow of an incandescent bulb.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What's your favourite light source? « Reply #22 on: June 01, 2015, 09:52:29 PM » Author: Solanaceae
I like clear MVs or clear top lifeguards.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

Lanternbro

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What's your favourite light source? « Reply #23 on: June 06, 2015, 03:13:47 PM » Author: Lanternbro
  • CMH
  • T5
  • COB LED
Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What's your favourite light source? « Reply #24 on: June 06, 2015, 03:18:56 PM » Author: Solanaceae
I forgot to mention also acid frosted incandescent bulbs.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies