Author Topic: More T8 electronic "restorations"  (Read 3677 times)
Larry

View Posts
View Gallery

Rated PG 17

More T8 electronic "restorations" « on: August 08, 2014, 11:40:02 PM » Author: Larry
More fixture "restorations" with electronic ballasts.

14 more will soon suffer the same fate according to the seller. :o
Seller said they were 3 foot.
These may be the rare 36 inch T8 30 watt bulb fixtures. :o :o
I wonder where the original ballast, bulbs and bulb holders went to?

For the low price of only $1250 each without bulbs, plus $59.35 shipping. ("restored" of course)

Its your fixtures of course and if you want to do this that is up to you, but what I don't understand is why anyone would think doing this increases the value of them. ::) ::)

Oh well.
Here it is.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-INDUSTRIAL-LIGHTS-ART-DECO-1930S-FLORESCENT-RESTORED-/281407677411?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41853463e3

Westinghouse fluorescent bulb tester. :D

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-WESTINGHOUSE-STORE-LIGHT-BULB-TESTER-WORKS-/221526459777?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3394018581

Old mercury vapor bulb.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Industrial-Westinghouse-SAH-250B-250W-42V-Mercury-Vapor-Light-Bulb-/221526030316?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3393faf7ec

A different type of fixture. :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=121415076291

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Art-Deco-Wall-Sconces-Saks-Fifth-Avenue-Detroit-Circa-1940-flourescent-/390913235764?pt=Architectural_Garden&hash=item5b043e9b34

Whiteway service station lighting. :D
Local pick up only. :-\

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Old-Gas-Station-Light-6-foot-fluorescent-2-fixtures-8-bulbs-/321496689730?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4adab22c42

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Oscar-Phillips-Co-GLO-RITE-Gas-Station-Pylon-6-Bulb-Florescent-Light-/131273751457?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e90867ba1

Really odd fluorescent fixture. :o

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-MID-1960s-MODERN-FLUORESCENT-FLOOR-LAMP-BY-SONNEMAN-/201157776331?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ed5f013cb
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 09:05:31 AM by Larry » Logged

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's GE Power Groove

paintballer22

View Posts
View Gallery

120V/240V 60hz

Re: More T8 electronic "restorations" « Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 11:48:35 PM » Author: paintballer22
What a shame more vintage preheat fluorescent lights ruined by T-8/electronic ballast garbage. I rather have it 100% original.
funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: T8 electronic "restorations" « Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 12:01:36 AM » Author: funkybulb
Bluh they totally ruin it for every one.
Now that fixture is worth less  than what it worrh
It like buying a modet T with a chevy 350 block

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

nicksfans

View Posts
View Gallery

Down with lamp bans!

GoL the.baus.of.all.bauses UCDl2EWWZc9h1IZXcfGU9OZA nicksfans
Re: More T8 electronic "restorations" « Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 02:28:33 AM » Author: nicksfans
As I've said in a similar thread, I don't mind T8s but they don't belong in fixtures like these.

I like my lamps thick, my ballasts heavy, and my fixtures tough.

My Gallery
Instagram
YouTube

nicksfans

View Posts
View Gallery

Down with lamp bans!

GoL the.baus.of.all.bauses UCDl2EWWZc9h1IZXcfGU9OZA nicksfans
Re: More T8 electronic "restorations" « Reply #4 on: August 09, 2014, 03:42:23 AM » Author: nicksfans
If this fixture took F30T8 lamps like I think it did, the seller could have bought brand new preheat ballasts for it. However, if I was restoring these, I'd keep the original ballasts as long as they worked and the wiring wasn't brittle.

I like my lamps thick, my ballasts heavy, and my fixtures tough.

My Gallery
Instagram
YouTube

themaritimegirl

View Posts
View Gallery

Florence

themaritimegirl themaritimegirl themaritimegirl
Re: More T8 electronic "restorations" « Reply #5 on: August 09, 2014, 12:26:16 PM » Author: themaritimegirl
Definitely F30T8. They were one of the original four lamp sizes when fluorescent lamps went into mass production, and the F30T12 wouldn't have existed yet when this fixture was made.

Electrical Engineering Graduate
YouTube | Twitter | Instagram

Larry

View Posts
View Gallery

Rated PG 17

Re: More T8 electronic "restorations" « Reply #6 on: August 09, 2014, 12:50:13 PM » Author: Larry
Definitely F30T8. They were one of the original four lamp sizes when fluorescent lamps went into mass production, and the F30T12 wouldn't have existed yet when this fixture was made.

My 1941 GE fluorescent lighting catalog lists the 30 watt 36 inch T8 bulbs.
Rare fixtures indeed. ::)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 02:52:30 PM by Larry » Logged

DieselNut

View Posts
View Gallery

John

jonathon.graves johng917 GeorgiaJohn
Re: More T8 electronic "restorations" « Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 10:44:15 AM » Author: DieselNut
I sent the seller a message asking if they had any that had not been "restored" and said collectors prefer these things to be original, with their reliable magnetic preheat ballasts.

Preheat Fluorescents forever!
I love diesel engines, rural/farm life and vintage lighting!

Larry

View Posts
View Gallery

Rated PG 17

Re: More T8 electronic "restorations" « Reply #8 on: August 11, 2014, 11:11:11 AM » Author: Larry
I sent the seller a message asking if they had any that had not been "restored" and said collectors prefer these things to be original, with their reliable magnetic preheat ballasts.

May be they still have to old bulbs also.

DieselNut

View Posts
View Gallery

John

Re: More T8 electronic "restorations" « Reply #9 on: August 11, 2014, 11:47:49 AM » Author: DieselNut
Response from the seller:
Hello, yes I have 14 more available. They are all in very good original condition and all were working when removed. I would consider any offers.

Thanks, Leslie

- 3269leslie

I sent the seller another message asking if they had the tubes, starters and ballast from the one they had restored and if the others had tubes still in them.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 11:53:59 AM by DieselNut » Logged

themaritimegirl

View Posts
View Gallery

Florence

themaritimegirl themaritimegirl themaritimegirl
Re: More T8 electronic "restorations" « Reply #10 on: August 11, 2014, 01:04:51 PM » Author: themaritimegirl
Oh, I didn't clue in these fixtures themselves had been retrofitted with modern parts. In my opinion that makes them nowhere near the $1250 price tag. I wonder if the ballast in them is still F30T8 or for the newer F25T8?

Electrical Engineering Graduate
YouTube | Twitter | Instagram

Larry

View Posts
View Gallery

Rated PG 17

Re: More T8 electronic "restorations" « Reply #11 on: August 11, 2014, 01:08:09 PM » Author: Larry
Response from the seller:
Hello, yes I have 14 more available. They are all in very good original condition and all were working when removed. I would consider any offers.

Thanks, Leslie

- 3269leslie

I sent the seller another message asking if they had the tubes, starters and ballast from the one they had restored and if the others had tubes still in them.

Yes these same fixtures have been listed before on ebay in their original condition by this same seller back in April, but at a very un realistic price.
May be he paid too much for these fixtures and is now trying to get his money back.
These won't be cheap.

DieselNut

View Posts
View Gallery

John

Re: More T8 electronic "restorations" « Reply #12 on: August 11, 2014, 02:14:01 PM » Author: DieselNut
Got another reply from the seller:
Hello, all 14 remaining have the ballasts, heaters and are completely as removed from the building. They are dusty but all original and actually in great condition for there age. The ballasts that i removed from the light we restored were starting to leak so they were discarded but i do have the heater sockets. If you are only interested in one I would consider an offer. You can reach me at 413-566-8070

Thanks, Leslie & Rich

- 3269leslie

RichD

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: More T8 electronic "restorations" « Reply #13 on: September 01, 2014, 07:29:29 PM » Author: RichD
I absolutely HATE it when people do things like that!  :-\ Why not leave it original and let the buyer decide how to restore it?

To me this is the lighting equivalent of ripping out a classic car's original drivetrain and installing a modern fuel-injected engine and overdrive transmission. If I wanted modern equipment I'd buy brand new.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies