Author Topic: 100w MV DX mougl base bulb  (Read 2106 times)
bucket175mv

View Posts
View Gallery

100w MV DX mougl base bulb « on: August 15, 2014, 07:14:41 AM » Author: bucket175mv
Hi there.

Im a new memeber to the lighting gallery and Im currently working on a MV Nema head fixture project.

Im building a lower wattage version of the typical 175w MV Nema fixture and Im going to use a 70w MH ballast driving a 100w MV bulb.

According to site memebers a 100w MV bulb is not hard to find, but where I live (London Ontario Canada) they are practicaly non exsistant

So if anyone would like to sell or trade me a large envelope (bulb shape) mougl base 100w dx bulb that would be great

Did they ever make these bulbs with the nubb style end on the bulb, I think they are called the "bt" shape??

Thanks everyone.
streetlight98

View Posts
View Gallery

Mike McCann

GoL Mike McCann 88219189@N04/albums
Re: 100w MV DX mougl base bulb « Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 11:45:09 AM » Author: streetlight98
Hello bucket175mv. Welcome to the LG! ;D

Nice project you are working on! When you wire up the 70W PSMH ballast, it wires up just like it would normally with the igniter wired in. To disable the igniter, disconnect the white wire comming out of the igniter and cap it with a wirenut. That will disable the igniter so MV lamps may be used. Don't ever use MV on the Mh ballast with the igniter connected since you'll damage the lamp.

Here's a new 100W MV lamp. Your best bet is to buy one online.

Hope this helps!

Mike

Please check out my newly-updated website! McCann Lighting Company is where my street light collection is displayed in detail.

bucket175mv

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 100w MV DX mougl base bulb « Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 08:11:21 AM » Author: bucket175mv
Hey there, thanks for the tips. Do I still need to wire in the capacitor to use this 100w MV bulb on this 70w MH ballast?

I acutally found this exact same bulb from a local electrical supplier and should be in soon. Im hoping it has the nubb style end like the one in the pic shows. Is this called "bt" bulb shape?

Cheers!
TheUniversalDave1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 100w MV DX mougl base bulb « Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 07:44:01 PM » Author: TheUniversalDave1
You should use always keep the capacitor because it A) raises the power factor, and B) keeps the ballast from drawing too much current.

The listing above says that the bulb is ET 23.5. I'm familiar with ED, which is Elliptical Dimple, but not with ET. BT stands for Blown Tubular.
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 100w MV DX mougl base bulb « Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 02:04:26 AM » Author: Medved
You should use always keep the capacitor because it A) raises the power factor, and B) keeps the ballast from drawing too much current.

But with single 100 or 175W fixture you do not have to worry about power factor, so mains current at all, if there is 1 or 2A current, the minimum wire gauge usable for the mains is rated 6A, so in either case you have plenty of margin.
It become important only when you have many of them on a single circuit, when you are operating close to the maximum wiring load capacity.
Of course, all that is assuming the capacitor is connected directly across the mains input.

When the capacitor is connected "somewhere inside" the ballast winding (mainly the case for multi voltage HX ballasts,...), you have to keep it, because the ballast could be designed so, the 120V line input could handle only the real power, the reactive power is supposed to be handled by way longer winding section (usually the 240 or 277V taps), so it does operate on lower currents.

No more selfballasted c***

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: 100w MV DX mougl base bulb « Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 03:49:56 AM » Author: joseph_125
There are two types of 100w mogul based mercury lamps with the nub on top. The relatively newer kind is the ET-23.5 shape (Elliptical Tubular) that Sylvania uses. The older classic shape is known as a BT-25.

If you're looking for a ET-23.5 bulb you should be able to order those online or from a supplier that sells Sylvania bulbs. The BT-25 mercs are a bit harder to find as they haven't been made since the 80s. I guess eBay will be your best choice if you're looking for those.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies