Author Topic: Looking for an old streetlight, working Mercury Vapour only  (Read 2138 times)
bryantm3

View Posts
View Gallery

Looking for an old streetlight, working Mercury Vapour only « on: September 04, 2014, 02:10:07 PM » Author: bryantm3
 :mv: :mv:

anyone know where i can get an old M-400 or an OV-25, or just about any other working mercury vapour streetlamp? i have looked across the internet and the only ones i can find for sale are dusk-to-dawn yard lamps, or way too expensive for my budget. where can i get one of these for a reasonable price?
nicksfans

View Posts
View Gallery

Down with lamp bans!

GoL the.baus.of.all.bauses UCDl2EWWZc9h1IZXcfGU9OZA nicksfans
Re: Looking for an old streetlight, working Mercury Vapour only « Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 03:44:07 PM » Author: nicksfans
If you know someone who works for a local electric utility, they might be able to get one for you, assuming the light(s) you want are still in use in your area. I know plenty of OV-25s have been replaced around here, but many are still in service.

I like my lamps thick, my ballasts heavy, and my fixtures tough.

My Gallery
Instagram
YouTube

themaritimegirl

View Posts
View Gallery

Florence

themaritimegirl themaritimegirl themaritimegirl
Re: Looking for an old streetlight, working Mercury Vapour only « Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 05:08:02 PM » Author: themaritimegirl
You can also obtain a sodium or metal halide fixture and convert it to mercury vapor.

Electrical Engineering Graduate
YouTube | Twitter | Instagram

nicksfans

View Posts
View Gallery

Down with lamp bans!

GoL the.baus.of.all.bauses UCDl2EWWZc9h1IZXcfGU9OZA nicksfans
Re: Looking for an old streetlight, working Mercury Vapour only « Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 07:03:46 PM » Author: nicksfans
That also works. You can, for example, run a 400w MV lamp on a 400w probe start MH ballast. Both can still be purchased new.

I like my lamps thick, my ballasts heavy, and my fixtures tough.

My Gallery
Instagram
YouTube

bryantm3

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Looking for an old streetlight, working Mercury Vapour only « Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 03:09:39 AM » Author: bryantm3
If you know someone who works for a local electric utility, they might be able to get one for you, assuming the light(s) you want are still in use in your area. I know plenty of OV-25s have been replaced around here, but many are still in service.

no, unfortunately they all got replaced back in the 90s with the horrid HPS fixtures, presumably due to some state legislator who ran a lighting installation company. they were completely erased in the entire state. if you cross any state border, they still use at least some MV fixtures.
tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Looking for an old streetlight, working Mercury Vapour only « Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 05:50:16 AM » Author: tolivac
At the Gov't Short Wave transmitter plant where I work--the yard lighting is currently being replaced.The old fixtures are GE and Westinghouse What some could call cobraheads and Silverliners.They are Mercury vapor.They are being replaced with Amercian Electric Lighting 215W LED fixtures.Half of the site is now lit by the LEDS-these put out a warmer,more intense light then the MV lights.Talking to the contractor to see if I can score some of the old fixtures.I got one years ago from when these older lights were being refurbished-relampted and damaged fixtures replaced.Scored one Silverliner that had a blown MV ballast.Replaced the blown ballast with a 400W HPS one I had in my junkbox.Use MH retrofit bulbs in it-works nice.Will see what happens If I can score on some others here.Inside the building Flourescent bulbs are being replaced by another contractor to LED retrofit bulbs.The contractor removes the ballast-connects the bulb holders to 120V.The new LED flourescent retrofit bulbs look good-no flickering.Despite the LEDS-still like the "charm" the MV lights cast.I don't know for sure what the contractor is doing with the older lights.They are a contractor from Duke Power.Some of the wiring has to be replaced-it is over 50 yrs old.The old lampposts are being used-they are still sound.
TheUniversalDave1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Looking for an old streetlight, working Mercury Vapour only « Reply #6 on: January 06, 2015, 09:41:31 AM » Author: TheUniversalDave1
Save as many Silverliners as you can. I would love to have one. Or two.
tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Looking for an old streetlight, working Mercury Vapour only « Reply #7 on: January 07, 2015, 06:59:01 AM » Author: tolivac
I sent in my request to save some of these lights.Its a gov't outfit-so no guarantees.Right now don't know what happens to the old ones.One of the workers say they get recycled-would like to "recycle" some to my light collection.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies