Author Topic: It's over.  (Read 5286 times)
nicksfans

View Posts
View Gallery

Down with lamp bans!

GoL the.baus.of.all.bauses UCDl2EWWZc9h1IZXcfGU9OZA nicksfans
It's over. « on: September 24, 2014, 09:17:14 AM » Author: nicksfans
Mercury vapor's days (in my area anyway) are numbered.

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/news/local/2014/09/23/duke-energy-replace-sc-street-lights/16099353/

I like my lamps thick, my ballasts heavy, and my fixtures tough.

My Gallery
Instagram
YouTube

nicksfans

View Posts
View Gallery

Down with lamp bans!

Re: It's over. « Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 04:01:20 PM » Author: nicksfans
Most of the mercs here are still the clear ones. Only a few recent replacement lamps are DX coated. I'm hoping to use this as an opportunity to get some free Silverliners and other MV cobraheads.

My Gallery
Instagram
YouTube

themaritimegirl

View Posts
View Gallery

Florence

themaritimegirl themaritimegirl themaritimegirl
Re: It's over. « Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 02:07:45 PM » Author: themaritimegirl
I'm also surprised at the 25% remark. Between the town of 5000 and city of 34000 I live in, I haven't seen a single MV streetlight. The only surviving fixtures I've seen are on people's houses, so presumably not publicly owned.

Electrical Engineering Graduate
YouTube | Twitter | Instagram

nicksfans

View Posts
View Gallery

Down with lamp bans!

Re: It's over. « Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 02:16:19 PM » Author: nicksfans
I don't think 25% is a misprint. There really are a LOT of MVs here.

My Gallery
Instagram
YouTube

mbulb146

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: It's over. « Reply #4 on: September 25, 2014, 07:19:52 PM » Author: mbulb146
We just moved from a neighborhood served by Duke Progress.  It was an older subdivision built in the late 60s to early 80s.  Our end (the older part) still has small 175W mercury cobra heads.  The only HPS units (100W) are where a mercury fixture failed.  The one outside our house had a nice bright clear bulb, but some were phosphor coated.  The fixtures have a dull gray aluminum look (probably natural oxidation from 40+ years).  At least one was dayburning for years.  These seem to be pretty tough units.

I have seen Duke Progress put in LED street lights in the next town over.

Anyway, one data point from someone who normally doesn't post about street lights.

Matt
TheUniversalDave1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: It's over. « Reply #5 on: September 25, 2014, 08:49:08 PM » Author: TheUniversalDave1
In my town, there is about a 5 mile stretch of highway that still has the original streetlights from when the highway was completed in the early 70's. They were all originally 175 watt MV, and most still are, but some have been converted to HPS. There is no word of modernizing them. The surviving fixtures all have that "dull grey look." There is even an article on Wikipedia about them. Read the second paragraph in "History."

nicksfans

View Posts
View Gallery

Down with lamp bans!

Re: It's over. « Reply #6 on: September 25, 2014, 09:05:40 PM » Author: nicksfans
On one major road in Anderson, there is a single GE Form 400 that is still operating with a clear MV lamp and can-shaped external ballast. A lot of the poles still have external ballasts abandoned in place, so it seems that the entire section of road had Form 400s at one time but only one was spared. I would love it if they kept the Form 400 installed despite the LED project, just for historical purposes. There is actually another Form 400 on the same road, but it's hidden between some buildings and doesn't light the actual roadway. Maybe that one will be spared too. There was a third Form 400 in town but it was recently replaced. I have Google Maps views of all three Form 400s in my "streetlights" album for those interested in seeing them.

My Gallery
Instagram
YouTube

bryantm3

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: It's over. « Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 03:53:52 AM » Author: bryantm3
Greenville, SC is unusual because almost all of its streetlights are mercury vapour. Some beautiful streetscapes up there at night. I will be sad to see them go.  :mv: :mv: :mv:
ggillis

View Posts
View Gallery

AEL 175W NEMA

Re: It's over. « Reply #8 on: October 23, 2014, 05:37:34 PM » Author: ggillis
There are still quite a few mercs on Prince Edward Island

Red Seal Electrician

Click on the link below to view my gallery:

http://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/index.php?cat=11790

BlueHalide

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: It's over. « Reply #9 on: October 24, 2014, 11:25:42 PM » Author: BlueHalide
If anybody has ever been to Sterling, IL USA, its like a trip back in time (streetlight-wise) 90-95% of the municipal cobraheads are still 400w mercury. Theyre silver-grayish with a large/deep drop lens. Most are DX coated lamps, however about 10% are clear. Quite a few of them day burn and some are so dim, a 60w incandescent would be brighter. I don't know why this city never switched to HPS back in the late 80's-early 90's like everywhere else. In fact, Dixon, IL (just 10 min drive away) is all HPS like normal. I have relatives in Sterling, one cousin that works for the city, he says "these mercury cobraheads were installed in the 70's and some still have the original lamps in them" 40-year old mercury lamps still working (albeit very dim)
kai

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: It's over. « Reply #10 on: November 06, 2014, 06:42:20 AM » Author: kai
Essentially the same in Germany. It very much varies from town to town, between MV being almost extinct, with only a single-digit number of apparently forgotten fixtures left, and still being the most common lamp type (in some small towns at least two thirds of all street lights).
flyoffacliff

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: It's over. « Reply #11 on: February 06, 2015, 10:30:18 PM » Author: flyoffacliff
Lots of :mv: here too. Probably go past 30 :mv: yard blasters on the way to school. About half of the cobra heads along the roads are still :mv:. They are replacing them with :hps: as they fail.

I don't know why :mv: are regarded as bluish, some of the ones around here are very green. Some are more white.
paintballer22

View Posts
View Gallery

120V/240V 60hz

Re: It's over. « Reply #12 on: February 06, 2015, 11:49:20 PM » Author: paintballer22
I only have LED streetlights now in my area and they are very dull almost to the point of useless.
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: It's over. « Reply #13 on: February 07, 2015, 12:39:47 AM » Author: dor123
Probably energy saving is more important to your government than the quality of light and the reliability. LED in general lighting, can't last more than 12,000 hours max, while MV and old T12 fluorescents, proved that they could last 100,000 hours.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

DieselNut

View Posts
View Gallery

John

jonathon.graves johng917 GeorgiaJohn
Re: It's over. « Reply #14 on: February 17, 2015, 03:07:15 PM » Author: DieselNut
If you can rescue any of the ones they take down, I would LOVE to get a few!  I need to come visit you someday too!

Preheat Fluorescents forever!
I love diesel engines, rural/farm life and vintage lighting!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies