Author Topic: Atom project for school - need some ideas  (Read 2000 times)
TheUniversalDave1

View Posts
View Gallery

Atom project for school - need some ideas « on: November 17, 2014, 04:56:56 PM » Author: TheUniversalDave1
For my science class, I must choose an element and build a 3D model of it out of craft stuff. Can anybody guess what element I chose? Mercury reportedly has 80 protons and 121 electrons. I'll have to check how many electrons the project requires. IIRC, only the valence electrons. Should I just get a big foam ball and glue 80 and 121 red and blue smaller balls to it? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Atom project for school - need some ideas « Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 11:12:30 AM » Author: Medved
An element with 80 protons can not have anything else than 80 electrons (in an neutral state)...

The nucleus contain 80 protons and 120 neutrons, but you can not look at them as 200 balls, but rather as a cloud of quarks, with material content equivalent to the 80 protons and 120 neutrons...

No more selfballasted c***

TheUniversalDave1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Atom project for school - need some ideas « Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 06:57:16 PM » Author: TheUniversalDave1
I took the lazy route and did sodium. Much less work to do making all those protons and neutrons and electrons. And sodium is still lighting related! I got a foam ball and used toothpicks to stick little balls of Play-Doh in red and blue all over it.
ace100w120v

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Atom project for school - need some ideas « Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 12:53:54 PM » Author: ace100w120v
That sounds pretty cool! I just did a DNA double helix origami but it came out awful IMO, though the instructor of my online biology class loved it!
There was also a GE F30T12/CW/RS in the background, of the pics I took of it, as well as a 1986 GE F40CW and 90s cool white 34w Watt-Miser
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies