Author Topic: i have the most rotten luck with light bulbs  (Read 3613 times)
form109
i have the most rotten luck with light bulbs « on: October 19, 2008, 04:41:35 PM » Author: form109
my light bulbs keep burning out!

general electric 100 watt burned out in 20 days

general electric 60  watt burned out in 45 seconds

sylvania        100 watt burned  out in  5 days

phillips        150  watt burned out in 8 days
lite_lover

View Posts
View Gallery

Darren

GoL darren.harward
Re: i have the most rotten luck with light bulbs « Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 07:52:09 PM » Author: lite_lover
Hey form109 do you have a voltage meter? You may want to check your household power to see if it is much more than 120V.

The brighter the better.

Mr. Big
Re: i have the most rotten luck with light bulbs « Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 09:11:40 PM » Author: Mr. Big
@lite_lover no i dont have a volt-meter,but that could be it,or just spotty quality of chinese made lamps.
Mr. Big
Re: i have the most rotten luck with light bulbs « Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 01:04:50 AM » Author: Mr. Big
Those lamps you just said are not Chinese made! You have more then likely a voltage problem! Get a voltmeter and check it! :o
FGS

View Posts
View Gallery

Rory Mercury!

Re: i have the most rotten luck with light bulbs « Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 11:20:22 AM » Author: FGS
Ask around the neighborhood if they are having rotten luck with their lamps. If they are then it's the utility transformer is set at the wrong tap and sending a too high a voltage on the secondary.

The primary side have many terminals called taps. That's to adjust the windings since the primary voltage varies a little bit. The lineman find one that will get 120v on the secondary and use that tap.

Sort of adjusting the primary lines on a ballast to get 55v (for HPS). The taps are 120v, 208v, 240v, or 277v. Choose the wrong line for primary and you will change the secondary voltage.

If that the case then you gotta call the utility company and get them to fix the transformer soon because it's not just the lamps that are suffering. Anything that uses 120v or 240v will be damaged. It's thousands of dollars of equipment destroyed.

When they do come over, you can talk to them about streetlights you could have if they aren't too busy to talk. If they're working on the transformer, keep away from them untill they close it and walk away from it to their truck. If they're near the truck and the cherry picker is stowed away you can approach them to chat, if the picker is up in the air with someone inside, best stay away from the truck as well. It's because the primary voltage is in the kilovolts range and if you distract them they could get hurt or killed by a arc-flash which is deadly. It can kill you if you stand too close and it arcs over.

Why I like LEDs on top of other lighting tech?
LEDs = Upgrade 95% of the applications. (That is if you avoid eBay's LEDs).

LED brainwash? No, people uses them cuz they work well for them.

Mr. Big
Re: i have the most rotten luck with light bulbs « Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 04:56:59 PM » Author: Mr. Big
i got a volt meter and measured voltage varying between 115 and 130 volts,so i doubt that its the transformer.
btw local utilities here only use 120 and 240 volts for residental use.
 larger buisness facilities use taps for 208,240,477,480 volts,i checked with the electric company.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 05:01:20 PM by form109 » Logged
form109
Re: i have the most rotten luck with light bulbs « Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 06:21:48 PM » Author: form109
anyway you can check the voltage at the socket itself? Could the lamps be overheating, I'm not sure!  ???
form109
Re: i have the most rotten luck with light bulbs « Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 07:33:29 PM » Author: form109
@mr.big i doubt that the lamps are overheating.

@fgs the overhead lines in an average neighborhood range in voltage from 7,200v-16,000v
lite_lover

View Posts
View Gallery

Darren

GoL darren.harward
Re: i have the most rotten luck with light bulbs « Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 11:46:50 PM » Author: lite_lover
It's possible your lamps didn't like it when the voltage approached 130V.

Most lamps are rated for 120V,rough service 6000hr lamps are rated at 130V.

The brighter the better.

Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: i have the most rotten luck with light bulbs « Reply #9 on: October 21, 2008, 02:24:35 PM » Author: Silverliner
I was thinking the same, 130v is prolly killing your lamps. Lamp life is drastically affected when you go up 10 volts, like by roughly a third of life or less. My USA made incandescents are all working fine.

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

form109
Re: i have the most rotten luck with light bulbs « Reply #10 on: October 21, 2008, 04:40:02 PM » Author: form109
this seems to only happen with my regular incandescent lamps,i have several phillips halogena lamps and they dont seem to be affected.
lite_lover

View Posts
View Gallery

Darren

GoL darren.harward
Re: i have the most rotten luck with light bulbs « Reply #11 on: October 21, 2008, 10:25:29 PM » Author: lite_lover
The regular lamps didn't like the extra 10 volts,the halogena lamps may be a little more tolerant.

The brighter the better.

form109
Re: i have the most rotten luck with light bulbs « Reply #12 on: October 22, 2008, 02:32:13 PM » Author: form109
it may also be a factor that he aformentioned lamps were opperated in a fixture run close to 24 hours a day,the fixture was also reflective in nature which may have been concentrating heat generated by the lamps.
lite_lover

View Posts
View Gallery

Darren

GoL darren.harward
Re: i have the most rotten luck with light bulbs « Reply #13 on: October 22, 2008, 10:47:52 PM » Author: lite_lover
The heat shouldn't be too much of a problem,especially after only 45 seconds.If these lamps were on almost all the time they would have been exposed to the 130V more often,and then run hotter,mainly late at night when there is less power demand.How long did the previous lamps last in this fixture before this bunch? 

The brighter the better.

form109
Re: i have the most rotten luck with light bulbs « Reply #14 on: October 24, 2008, 02:44:40 PM » Author: form109
the voltage at the socket varies through the day,the voltage is highest at night(130v)when other appliences on that circuit are off,during the day when the circuit is loaded down the voltage dips to 120 volts.
as for previous bulbs they lasted an average of 60 days each.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies