Author Topic: Favourite food?  (Read 7025 times)
Mercurylamps

View Posts
View Gallery

240V 50Hz

Re: Favourite food? « Reply #30 on: August 26, 2017, 10:41:27 PM » Author: Mercurylamps
I cooked up a couple of baked potatoes covered in garlic butter and wrapped in bacon. It's my younger brother's recipe. ;D
CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Favourite food? « Reply #31 on: August 26, 2017, 10:45:18 PM » Author: CEB1993
Yum! Those look like a great recipe, Mercurylamps!  I like bacon on anything :D

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

Mercurylamps

View Posts
View Gallery

240V 50Hz

Re: Favourite food? « Reply #32 on: August 27, 2017, 02:59:24 AM » Author: Mercurylamps
Yum! Those look like a great recipe, Mercurylamps!  I like bacon on anything :D

Bacon is awesome, in fact I use it in a comfort food of mine which is chips (french fries ;) ) topped in slices of bacon I dice myself and ground beef, covered in mozzarella and cheddar cheese. Not very healthy so I only make it once every few weeks or so. :D

The drink next to it is a malted chocolate milk drink made using my Nutri Ninja. 8)
CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Favourite food? « Reply #33 on: August 27, 2017, 09:45:13 PM » Author: CEB1993
That looks so good!  I'm working on "seasoning" my cast iron skillet by cooking oil into its surface so it will become nonstick.  I'll be able to cook lots of bacon  ;D

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Re: Favourite food? « Reply #34 on: August 27, 2017, 10:09:17 PM » Author: Lodge
That looks so good!  I'm working on "seasoning" my cast iron skillet by cooking oil into its surface so it will become nonstick.  I'll be able to cook lots of bacon  ;D

heat it up to about 200 then apply a very thin coating of Flax oil, then wipe it with dry paper towel, really you don't need much oil on it, and toss it in the oven at 475, for about an hour upside down, it will smoke and smell so open the window, and let if cool in the oven for about 2 hours and repeat this process about three or more times, it will be brown if the pan was cleaned to the cast iron, and it will go black with use in about two weeks. And try not to cook anything with tomatoes in it for the first couple of weeks, but after it's broken in your good to go and cook what ever you like...

Why flax oil, and not lard/bacon fat canola oil, it'll make the hardest coating you can get, it will actually feel dry to the touch and take a glass like finish if the cast iron was machined like Wagner or vintage lodge, it's so hard you can actually wash them in the dishwasher if you do it right (no I don't recommend it, I only use water and on mine, some times I only wipe them out with paper towel, and feel free to use metal utensils in the pan, and I always dry them on the stove top and apply a very light coating of oil when hot, and I know some people are germaphobes but it gets to 400 deg before anything goes in it so they are sterile, more so then your pans washed using the three sink method and bleach or a commercial dishwasher, I also never start cooking with a cold pan, really this is best tip you can learn when cooking with cast iron, preheat the pan and then add your food, I normally put it on the stove first and then start the prep work so it's ready to go when I'm done cutting)

If it's done right it will quickly become a go to pan for cooking just about anything on any heat source ranging from an open fire, molten lava, induction, gas, electric, propane torch, pretty much anything but the microwave...    

If you want to know how to clean it right back to clean cast iron let me know, it's easier then you think really it's so easy the hardest part you have to do is waiting for it to be done, it takes about 12 hours of watching TV or playing on the internet or sleeping, really it's that easy,it'll remove everything, even burnt on food, even rust...  

Cast Iron it's the other thing I collect...
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 10:13:25 PM by Lodge » Logged
CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Favourite food? « Reply #35 on: August 27, 2017, 10:35:36 PM » Author: CEB1993
Hey Lodge, thanks for the advice!  I'm really looking forward to getting my skillet broken in.  So far, I've baked it twice at 375 for an hour, coated with vegetable oil.  I'll look for some flax oil as I continue the seasoning process.  It's amazing the wide variety of foods you can cook in these pans.  I'm breaking mine in for bacon and eggs.  One of my friends knows how to cook steaks in his cast iron skillet and they turned out amazing! 

Stop the lamp bans!

Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Re: Favourite food? « Reply #36 on: August 27, 2017, 10:55:04 PM » Author: Lodge
You can use other oils, but turn up the heat another 100 degs you actually want the oil to polymerize and 375 isn't hot enough for that to happen unless your using sunflower oil, or corn oil and it's only just hot enough so it will take hours, you really want to see smoke..

And Steak in Cast iron is awesome, the only thing better involves going outside to the BBQ..

Really there is not much you can't cook in them I make cakes in them, bread, stews, grilled sandwiches, deep fried chicken/fish, doughnuts, bacon and eggs, pancakes, pretty much anything that will fit in them I will cook in them, but there is nothing like pineapple upside down cake for dessert when your camping, over the fire but you need the cast iron lid to do this because you need to place hot coals on the lid to cook the top, the other campers get jealous, while they eat there marshmallows...

And if you see old rusty ones at a garage sale, so long as they are not cracked or heavily pitted, it's easy to make them like new in no time, and the vintage USA or Canadian made ones are the best, they are much nicer then newly made sand cast pans...       

View Posts
View Gallery

Tha SOX MADMANNN

Re: Favourite food? « Reply #37 on: September 01, 2017, 06:48:20 PM » Author: 589
I'm a tex/mexitarian

:lps:

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Favourite food? « Reply #38 on: January 03, 2020, 11:51:24 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
It varies a lot, but we are very fond of curry.  :)

Which reminds me, I'm long overdue to make one...  :(

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Favourite food? « Reply #39 on: January 07, 2020, 02:38:41 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
We actually had this last night, it's a good standby for a quick meal, ready in less than half an hour.  :)

A smoked sossige supper,
Is just right for our tucker.
With oven chips it’s easy,
And not nearly as greasy.
As those from the chipper,
That I ate when I was a nipper.

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Favourite food? « Reply #40 on: January 07, 2020, 06:30:07 PM » Author: CEB1993
I like most kinds of international foods, especially Mexican and Japanese foods.  I’m lactose intolerant, so I really like most kinds of Asian foods because they don’t have many dairy ingredients.

Here’s a picture of some baked enchiladas I fixed yesterday. Turned out just like the food at my favorite Mexican restaurant  :)

Stop the lamp bans!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies