Author Topic: What kind of cell phone do you use?  (Read 80655 times)
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #150 on: November 29, 2017, 12:47:43 PM » Author: Rommie
I have an old iPhone 6 that I have had for three years.  It's been a good phone and has even survived a drop into the swimming pool with no damage.  I am looking into an iPhone 7 for Christmas.  The only thing I don't like about the iPhones now is that they do not have a headphone jack anymore.  At least I know of good Bluetooth headphones by Philips.

I don't like Apple products for two very simple reasons. Firstly, they are non-customisable, you have to have the icons and layout that Apple say you have to have. Also they seem to me to be very fragile; drop them and the screen shatters.

Android phones on the other hand are fully customisable, and they're less likely to break if you drop them.

Oh, and they're half the price  ;D

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #151 on: November 29, 2017, 01:02:00 PM » Author: CEB1993
I don't like Apple products for two very simple reasons. Firstly, they are non-customisable, you have to have the icons and layout that Apple say you have to have. Also they seem to me to be very fragile; drop them and the screen shatters.

Android phones on the other hand are fully customisable, and they're less likely to break if you drop them.

Oh, and they're half the price  ;D

That's another big design flaw in my book, the fragile glass screens on iPhones.  I've broken mine twice with the second time just from bumping into a chair with it in my pocket :(  The newest iPhone X has glass on BOTH sides, what a stupid idea!  A $1000 phone that's designed to be breakable.  Apple sometimes chooses style over function, such as when they did away with the headphone jack in the 7.  While I will say the iPhone X is a pretty looking and shiny phone, I would not trust myself with it unless I had an industrial strength phone case. 

I've heard nothing but good things about Androids, but I'm so used to Apple products, they would have a big learning curve for me.

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

Flurofan96

View Posts
View Gallery

Celebrating my 10th Anniversary on LG

Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #152 on: November 29, 2017, 01:59:26 PM » Author: Flurofan96
I agree with you, Ria  :inc: with iPhones is that they have little or no customisation software wise, second of all I don't like its new 'iOS 7' style interface as it looks childish compared to the very old IOS 6  :-[ :-[ and third is their poor durability, a little kick or drop and a really badly shattered screen  :o plus what is shocking is that there is NO headphone jack you have the slightest bother of inserting an adaptor which uses your Lightning port to connect your old earphones, that means not being able to listen through my best earphones when I am charging my phone up!!

Well here in 2017 (or shall I say near the end of 2017) I still have my S4 Samsung Galaxy phone with me since May 2013 and oh goodness I can imagine how much money I've saved by just hanging on to it as much as possible, it can still do what new Galaxy smartphones can do and I will keep it until the day comes where I need to change it! Oh and talking about build quality I have managed to keep its screen 100% intact (well I got myself a gel case for both aesthetic and protection) Samsung smartphones are the best out of all and they outshine Apple in all aspects! I'd say the S8 looks WAY better than the iPhone X and probably a lot more tougher  ;D oh heck I would be SUPER overprotective with my iPhone X but sorry Samsung FTW for me when to smartphones  8)

Since September 2015 since starting uni, I bought myself for 15 quid a Nokia 105 as my backup phone

Lighting-Gallery member since June 2014

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #153 on: November 29, 2017, 02:18:09 PM » Author: Rommie
Since September 2015 since starting uni, I bought myself for 15 quid a Nokia 105 as my backup phone

My backup is a 17-year old Nokia 6310i. Had it from virtually new and the original battery, while it doesn't last 2 weeks any more, still lasts for a 2 or 3 days on standby.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 02:21:06 PM by MissRiaElaine » Logged

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #154 on: November 29, 2017, 02:59:55 PM » Author: CEB1993
second of all I don't like its new 'iOS 7' style interface as it looks childish compared to the very old IOS 6  :-[ :-[ and third is their poor durability, a little kick or drop and a really badly shattered screen  :o plus what is shocking is that there is NO headphone jack you have the slightest bother of inserting an adaptor which uses your Lightning port to connect your old earphones, that means not being able to listen through my best earphones when I am charging my phone up!!

I agree with you there, Peter.  I think the older IOS 6 graphics looked much better than the IOS 7 and newer ones of today.  There is no 3D effect and everything looks oversimplified and stark to me.  I know you're a big music fan like me, so the loss of the headphone jack just for aesthetic's sake is really disappointing.  I will look into that adapter, since I already have a few sets of wired headphones, including a nice pair of Bose headphones.  That's good to know that there are other options besides using the glitchy wireless headphones  :)

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

Flurofan96

View Posts
View Gallery

Celebrating my 10th Anniversary on LG

Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #155 on: November 29, 2017, 04:50:12 PM » Author: Flurofan96
CEB93: Ah you heard my voice  :D the 3D effect of graphical user interfaces is like the way forward and the oversimplified 2D and the childish look is just a step backwards! Also about Apple IOS GUIs is the overuse of white backgrounds!! My S4 Android 5.0 interface has the simplified look but it is better than IOS 7 and newer as it has more colour to it! With iPhones its just aesthetic bragging that is how I see it and that in turn can contradict with functional aspects for example removing headphone jack for aesthetics sake is just  >:( >:( >:( same for the newer MacBooks which have got rid of USB ports and gone for these blessed USB - C ports and expect you to ditch your usb sticks, HDDS and etc  >:(

The S8 Galaxy smartphone has the screen aesthetic similar or better to iPhone X and still offers a headphone jack so I can use my existing speakers/earphones etc  8) I like the House of Marley earphones because they can cope excellently with IDM music and all other sounds because it picks up the bass and very low frequencies out  8)   

Lighting-Gallery member since June 2014

FGS

View Posts
View Gallery

Rory Mercury!

Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #156 on: November 29, 2017, 05:15:04 PM » Author: FGS
CEB93: Ah you heard my voice  :D the 3D effect of graphical user interfaces is like the way forward and the oversimplified 2D and the childish look is just a step backwards! Also about Apple IOS GUIs is the overuse of white backgrounds!! My S4 Android 5.0 interface has the simplified look but it is better than IOS 7 and newer as it has more colour to it! With iPhones its just aesthetic bragging that is how I see it and that in turn can contradict with functional aspects for example removing headphone jack for aesthetics sake is just  >:( >:( >:( same for the newer MacBooks which have got rid of USB ports and gone for these blessed USB - C ports and expect you to ditch your usb sticks, HDDS and etc  >:(

The S8 Galaxy smartphone has the screen aesthetic similar or better to iPhone X and still offers a headphone jack so I can use my existing speakers/earphones etc  8) I like the House of Marley earphones because they can cope excellently with IDM music and all other sounds because it picks up the bass and very low frequencies out  8)   

You do know that they sell cables that has a plug for the hardware you have but the other end is the nice USB-C plug and you can get adapters to use with the flash drives and so on with a permanent older USB plug.  ;)

The missing headphone jack can be solved by Bluetooth headsets. Never missed it anyway since it's a dust bunny magnet/trap. Caused problems even if I never used the thing. Went from two dumb flip phones to iPhone 4S, 6+, now currently on 7+. Android based phones are prone to giving headaches with security flaws and prone to getting viruses and Rory knows what else.

Now if auto makers and aftermarket radio makers used iOS on their infotainment systems... No need to buy two of the same app for both operating systems. (For apps that free versions doesn't exist.)

Why I like LEDs on top of other lighting tech?
LEDs = Upgrade 95% of the applications. (That is if you avoid eBay's LEDs).

LED brainwash? No, people uses them cuz they work well for them.

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #157 on: November 30, 2017, 12:23:07 PM » Author: CEB1993
I had an issue last year where I thought the charging port in my phone was dead.  It would not charge unless I put the charging cable in at the exact correct angle.  I was ready to get a new phone until I looked in the charging port and found a month's worth of dust and lint.  I picked it out with a toothpick and it worked perfectly again  :)  Makes me wonder if dust and lint in the headphone jack interferes with the headphone sound quality.

Stop the lamp bans!

HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #158 on: December 01, 2017, 12:31:17 AM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
I had an issue last year where I thought the charging port in my phone was dead.  It would not charge unless I put the charging cable in at the exact correct angle.  I was ready to get a new phone until I looked in the charging port and found a month's worth of dust and lint.  I picked it out with a toothpick and it worked perfectly again  :)  Makes me wonder if dust and lint in the headphone jack interferes with the headphone sound quality.
Unless you're an audio nut, I doubt a tad bit of dust will do any harm to the sound quality, unless you're shoveling oil and dust into the audioport, it should not give you an issue...

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #159 on: December 01, 2017, 11:32:21 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
I use a Samsung S3 mini, which I've had about 4 years and it's still going strong, and on PAYG tariffs I suppose that in all that time I've used less than £50 worth of credit. I only use the phone in an emergency situation, anything else can wait until I get back home to use the landline, as that has inclusive minutes as part of the package.

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Roi_hartmann

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #160 on: December 01, 2017, 02:02:19 PM » Author: Roi_hartmann
I use a Samsung S3 mini, which I've had about 4 years and it's still going strong, and on PAYG tariffs I suppose that in all that time I've used less than £50 worth of credit. I only use the phone in an emergency situation, anything else can wait until I get back home to use the landline, as that has inclusive minutes as part of the package.
How expensive is calling mobile phone there? Cause it appears nobody want's to use mobile phone for calling as everyone is saying it's so expensive without even mentioning using mobile data.

I dont mean to sound rude but isn't using land line like... kind of pretty old fashioned? I mean, in here you can't even get new land line subscription anymore in years.

In here, with 29,90EUR per month you can get a mobile phone plan with unlimited normal cost phone calls and sms included and with 4G mobile data with no data cap.

If one want pay per minute plan then it's like 22,90EUR per month plus 0,069EUR per minute when calling(with unlimited mobile data).
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 02:09:06 PM by Roi_hartmann » Logged

Aamulla aurinko, illalla AIRAM

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #161 on: December 01, 2017, 02:12:29 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
How expensive is calling mobile phone there? Cause it appears nobody want's to use mobile phone for calling as everyone is saying it's so expensive without even mentioning using mobile data.

I dont mean to sound rude but isn't using land line like... kind of pretty old fashioned? I mean, in here you can't even get new land line subscription anymore in years.

In here, with 29,90EUR you can get a mobile phone plan with unlimited normal cost phone calls and sms included and with 4G mobile data with no data cap.

If one want pay per minute plan then it's like 22,90EUR per month plus 0,069EUR per minute when calling(with unlimited mobile data).

There is no monthly charge to have PAYG here, so to run the phone over the past 4 years it's cost on average about £1.05 per month, and as we have to have a landline connection for Broadband so we pay an extra £8 a month for inclusive calls to land lines and mobiles. And on my mobile plan it's 3p per minute for calls, 2p per text and 1p per Meg of data, more than adequate for my needs. Why look at a website on a tiny screen, when I can wait until I get home and use a laptop with a 15" screen.?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 02:15:47 PM by Miss Cuddly » Logged

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #162 on: December 01, 2017, 02:13:29 PM » Author: Rommie

In here, with 29,90EUR you can get a mobile phone plan with unlimited normal cost phone calls and sms included and with 4G mobile data with no data cap.

You can't get a landline installed..? That's very strange to us here. How do you get your broadband..? You surely need a landline for it to be delivered over, unless you have fibre direct to the premises, which is very rare for residential use here at the moment, and correspondingly expensive. We have fibre to the local distribution cabinet which is probably something like 300m away, from there the signal comes down our landline. The package we are on at the moment (Sky) costs approximately £50 a month, for which we get 40mbit/second broadband and unlimited phone calls to UK landlines and mobiles.

Our pay as you go mobiles cost 3p per minute for calls, 2p per text message and 1p per megabyte of data. This is on Three. We probably make only one or two calls a month if that, so the cost of having the mobiles is virtually nothing, a £10 top-up lasts me a year to 18 months easily.

Calls to mobiles here vary widely between providers, but unless they are included in a package, they are always more expensive than calling landlines.

Roi_hartmann

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #163 on: December 01, 2017, 02:29:54 PM » Author: Roi_hartmann
You can't get a landline installed..? That's very strange to us here. How do you get your broadband..? You surely need a landline for it to be delivered over, unless you have fibre direct to the premises, which is very rare for residential use here at the moment, and correspondingly expensive. We have fibre to the local distribution cabinet which is probably something like 300m away, from there the signal comes down our landline. The package we are on at the moment (Sky) costs approximately £50 a month, for which we get 40mbit/second broadband and unlimited phone calls to UK landlines and mobiles.

Our pay as you go mobiles cost 3p per minute for calls, 2p per text message and 1p per megabyte of data. This is on Three. We probably make only one or two calls a month if that, so the cost of having the mobiles is virtually nothing, a £10 top-up lasts me a year to 18 months easily.

Calls to mobiles here vary widely between providers, but unless they are included in a package, they are always more expensive than calling landlines.

Broadband comes either through fiber(ftth or fttb), catv or via mobile network(very common nowadays). Phone landlines are used in some areas still but there is no new phone service subscriptions available over it anymore, just the internet. In some areas(like in rural area) the whole copper phone network has been taken out of service due to a lack of use as people are using mobile phones/internet.

I have 100MBIT/S Cable internet that cost 24,90EUR per month.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 02:31:36 PM by Roi_hartmann » Logged

Aamulla aurinko, illalla AIRAM

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #164 on: December 01, 2017, 02:35:58 PM » Author: Rommie
Broadband comes either through fiber(ftth or fttb), catv or via mobile network(very common nowadays). Phone landlines are used in some areas still but there is no new phone service subscriptions available over it anymore, just the internet. In some areas(like in rural area) the whole copper phone network has been taken out of service due to a lack of use as people are using mobile phones/internet.

I have 100MBIT/S Cable internet that cost 24,90EUR per month.

That's not a bad price at all for 100mbit/s. I'd forgotten cable tv, but we can't have that anyway as there is no service in this area. Mobile broadband is very patchy at 4G here and even where it is available, it's very expensive.

It really surprises me that you have areas where normal landlines are no longer available. What do people who don't have mobiles do..? Surely there must be some..? Here, many elderly people don't have them; my mother is 91 next February and wouldn't know what a mobile phone was if one jumped up and bit her. I have repeatedly tried to show her how to use one, but she just can't grasp the concept.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies