Author Topic: International Shipping Help  (Read 1653 times)
nicksfans

View Posts
View Gallery

Down with lamp bans!

GoL the.baus.of.all.bauses UCDl2EWWZc9h1IZXcfGU9OZA nicksfans
International Shipping Help « on: April 27, 2015, 08:21:20 PM » Author: nicksfans
I may be sending a mercury vapor lamp from the US to a member in the UK. Has anyone here done the same thing before? Did you have to do anything special due to customs, etc? Are MV lamps considered hazardous? Also, I'd love any packing suggestions you may have.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

I like my lamps thick, my ballasts heavy, and my fixtures tough.

My Gallery
Instagram
YouTube

funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: International Shipping Help « Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 08:26:08 AM » Author: funkybulb
On the custom form dont put mercury vapor on the
Custom forms. But do put down the lamp codes
From the lamp. And make sure it packed well as
Uk system can be rough handling things.

That how i would go about.

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

nicksfans

View Posts
View Gallery

Down with lamp bans!

Re: International Shipping Help « Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 02:59:57 PM » Author: nicksfans
I found this after looking around for a while. It says mercury-containing products aren't mailable internationally. I could probably get away with it but I'd rather not risk a fine. That said, I've seen plenty of mercury-containing lamps shipped without "proper" packaging according to this, even from retailers. What do you think?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 03:02:36 PM by nicksfans » Logged

My Gallery
Instagram
YouTube

funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: International Shipping Help « Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 10:54:03 PM » Author: funkybulb
I have been mailing stuff to bulbfreak and danny in UK
I had no problems, florescent tubes i use pvc pipes
To ship off. Hid lamp the outer glass protect the arc
Tube. Mainly u want to bubble wrap each piece
Beside most mercury containing lamps
Is in milligrams of mercury.

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

nicksfans

View Posts
View Gallery

Down with lamp bans!

Re: International Shipping Help « Reply #4 on: May 01, 2015, 10:08:39 PM » Author: nicksfans
I'm estimating the weight on the high side (3-4 lbs) since I would have to pack it really well. I would put the lamp in a PVC pipe to protect it and add plenty of cushioning all around. Odds are it would be lighter (and thus much cheaper) in reality. I'm not really sure until I pack it since I'm bad at estimating things like that.

My Gallery
Instagram
YouTube

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies