Author Topic: 400W MH Possibly to be Replaced  (Read 1446 times)
mrboojay

View Posts
View Gallery

I love bulbs of all types.

mrboojay UC2tpasJaLc8IhVdjcDkI_3A mrboojay mrboojays_pics
400W MH Possibly to be Replaced « on: May 08, 2015, 04:11:25 PM » Author: mrboojay
There are 400W MH low bays in a warehouse at the place where I work.  There is a possability they would be replaced with 6-lamp 4ft T8 low bays.  Which one is better, and what kind of argument would I have to stop it from happening should it happen.

-mrboojay
My lighting-gallery.net Gallery
My YouTube Channel

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: 400W MH Possibly to be Replaced « Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 04:21:19 PM » Author: dor123
The US F32T8 operates on electronic IS ballasts, and the US T8s tends to get impurities over time, which means that the T8 will fail before the 400W probe-start MH lamps on M59 ANSI ballasts.
Also, no energy saving would be realised.
This is like here, that they replacing 400W MH lamps with 4-6 54W or 80W T5s.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 400W MH Possibly to be Replaced « Reply #2 on: May 09, 2015, 08:46:56 AM » Author: Medved
The question is, what is the motivation to select the fluorescents.

One advantage of the MH is the lifetime between relamping.

If the fluorescent would be equipped by 2-lamp ballasts, it will have quite significant degree of redundancy, so the overall reliability won't be worse (a failure is only when 4 lamps out of the 6 go dark, what would mean failure of 2 lamps or ballasts at the same time on the same fixture; just one lamp or ballast failure would still mean 4 lamps remain operating, so fixture still working)

The direct energy use is not that different (about 400W for 6xF32T8 vs about 450W of MH400W).

The average light output would be more higher with the fluorescents. If the MH's had very little overlap, the compare would be between MH output close to it's EOL, as that is the worst case and there the fluorescent output would be nearly double.

The fluorescents are way cheaper than the MH's when purchasing the lamps, that will offset the shorter life. That includes even the fixtures (they would have to be replaced anyway and that was the prime motivation to deal with that, I doubt the only reason would be the "energy saving".)

Plus the fluorescent are made in the "very low mercury" form, what means compare to the MH's way less strict rules to handle and disposal of the spent lamps, the disposal cost is way lower. We may know technically it is nonsense, but that is, how the laws are written.

Shorter bulb life with fluorescents will mean more frequent relamping work, the related cost should be taken into account. SO it depend, how much that is (if an equipment to reach the fixtures should be rented for each servicing, it would be way more expensive, so more relevant, compare to when such equipment is readily available there, so it could be used for the relamping with no cost)

But all the above means the maintenance is done right. So the installation is regularly inspected for darkening or failing lamps, the failures fixed without excessive delay (no longer than a week,...). I don't know how it is operated, but this could be an extra expense to count with as well...

No more selfballasted c***

tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 400W MH Possibly to be Replaced « Reply #3 on: May 10, 2015, 01:19:18 AM » Author: tolivac
Other advantages of the MH High bay lights over flourescents-The MH can be better focused onto the floors of the area lighted.Flourescents are more temp sensitive than the MH-In either cold or hot conditions the flourescents don't perform as well.Ceiling temps-esp in unheated or cooled areas-can vary to where the Flourescents won't start or perform well when its hot.I have a couple Widelite 450W Pulse start MH high bay lights that came from the Michlen Tire factory in Wilson,NC-they were replaced with flourescent.I would have kept the HIDS-I have two of them-happy with them-esp after replacing the bulbs with new Venture ones.Would be interesting to see how their flourescents are doing.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies