Author Topic: Using vintage or antique fluorescent tubes  (Read 15117 times)
veryhighonoutput

View Posts
View Gallery

T12

Re: Using vintage or antique fluorescent tubes « Reply #30 on: June 03, 2016, 08:46:54 PM » Author: veryhighonoutput
I use them regularly but I rotate them when I get bored  so they never eol,

T12/ t17 there's a reason they made heavy magnetic ballasts

toomanybulbs

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Using vintage or antique fluorescent tubes « Reply #31 on: November 25, 2016, 06:23:20 PM » Author: toomanybulbs
gave a friend a seed starter from the 60's
it has 2 westinghouse agro lite tubes probably the originals.
she uses it every year.
with that duty cycle she can probably hand it down when she passes.
i used a 14w ge daylight in a chrome wall fixture i 12v converted till i knew just how old it was.
40's lamp and tube.
that tube is safely in my collection.fixture has a chroma 50 in it.still 12v.
but i made no permanent mods to it and have the original parts.
even reused existing holes for the led nightlight.
icefoglights

View Posts
View Gallery

ITT Low Pressure Sodium NEMA

GoL
Re: Using vintage or antique fluorescent tubes « Reply #32 on: November 29, 2016, 10:49:52 PM » Author: icefoglights
I mostly run more recent lamps, but sometimes do run my vintage tubes.  I have a pair of 1944 GE White tubes that put out a real nice light.

01010010 01101111 01100010 01100101 01110010 01110100

funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Using vintage or antique fluorescent tubes « Reply #33 on: November 30, 2016, 10:17:55 AM » Author: funkybulb
I rotate vintage lamps around and Also use modern
Stuff get 24/7 use.

That that are rare and uncommon get use  gets bi yearly
Use for 8 hour running min.

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

Men of God

View Posts
View Gallery

jiachao.wei.71 chao_813975447 UChyTpXvlQ8ZCfBPP_lJjubg chao990613
Re: Using vintage or antique fluorescent tubes « Reply #34 on: April 14, 2017, 02:51:34 PM » Author: Men of God
古董灯管我是不会用于照明的,因为它们对我来说只有收藏价值,要是使用的话显色指数太低,肤色感觉怪怪的。但是古董驱动装置我会使用的,比如1960-1990年代的镇流器和启辉器。我现在在电脑桌上方的暖气管子上安的灯是1987年生产的上海沪光牌T5 12W灯架,镇流器和启辉器从来没换过,但是灯管是2016年生产的现代照明,T5 12W 840的,因为原配的灯管感觉不舒服,从此灯光下肤色显得特别糟糕!

我不会英文,所以我用中文,请你们用翻译网站翻译我打的字!

I can't in English, so I in Chinese, please use the translation website to translate my words!

HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Using vintage or antique fluorescent tubes « Reply #35 on: September 14, 2017, 05:46:17 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
I tend to use any bulbs I find with a few exceptions, my only vintage fluorescent I can't run because I have no 20w ballasts only got 40watters

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

toomanybulbs

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Using vintage or antique fluorescent tubes « Reply #36 on: November 19, 2017, 04:22:35 PM » Author: toomanybulbs
i have 4 1959 westinghouse blackender f48 in service daily.
the ballasts are late 50's too.
i simply added fuses to each ballast power lead in case they go bad.
and half a case of spare tubes.
if they wear out i dont care.
they have been going 25+ years now.
previous owner installed these and left the nos spares too.
Beta 5

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Using vintage or antique fluorescent tubes « Reply #37 on: November 19, 2017, 05:00:39 PM » Author: Beta 5
I don't use some of my rarest lamps, especially when modern equivalents available, that have the same appearance and colour of the older lamps.
Although Halophosphate tubes and T12 are banned, I still use them, as in some areas, I like their colour, and in some fixtures with T12 sized lamp holders, I still use T12 tubes as T8's look odd in those fixtures.

Fluorescent Forever :lfl:

takemorepills

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Using vintage or antique fluorescent tubes « Reply #38 on: November 19, 2017, 06:20:28 PM » Author: takemorepills
May as well use them all up before you die.

Some may loose vacuum.

Some may be lost to accident or mother nature.

A jealous partner may decide to smash all your stuff before dumping you.

Unless you can pre-arrange to gift out your collection to collectors prior to your death, most likely someone will just see all your stuff, think you're an oddball, and send everything off to the dump. No one is gonna want to deal with linear fluorescent lamps, or even regular bulbs for that matter, what a hassle. At the very best, SOME of your stuff may end up on eBay or CL, WAY overpriced by an estate clearing nut who picks the highest online price he can find. The stuff never gets sold and ends up in the bin.
sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Using vintage or antique fluorescent tubes « Reply #39 on: November 19, 2017, 08:17:05 PM » Author: sol
I have a near EOL Sylvania Lifeline CW F40T12 that I'd like to put in service, in a seldom used but not never used fixture. I'll probably end up getting a NPF magnetic ballast for 1 lamp so it will rectify at EOL. At least it will still light.
James

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Using vintage or antique fluorescent tubes « Reply #40 on: November 27, 2017, 02:12:18 PM » Author: James
I don't like to burn them continuously in everyday use - however occasionally I try to light some of the older lamps and let them run up fully.  Fluorescent lamps often do not age very well after very long periods in storage.  If they are perfectly made there are no problems, but occasionally there are tiny air leaks.  If the level of contaminants builds up too high, it can become very difficult or even impossible to strike the discharge.  However running the lamp up fully causes some of the impurities to be adsorbed and removed, keeping them clean and in top condition for later inspection or for when they will be passed on to new owners one day in the future.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Using vintage or antique fluorescent tubes « Reply #41 on: November 29, 2017, 07:27:57 AM » Author: Rommie
I like to run up all my lamps on an occasional basis, although if I only have one of something I'm a little cautious and I'll always let it run for as long as possible (in the case of discharge lamps).

I believe that lamps should be used, but I try to remember that it isn't only about me. It is only because previous generations have preserved lamps that we have them at all, we have to think of those who will come after us, why should they be denied the chance to see previous technologies..? After all, the way things are going it won't be all that long before nobody will remember life before LED  :( :( :(

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Using vintage or antique fluorescent tubes « Reply #42 on: November 30, 2017, 02:32:33 AM » Author: RyanF40T12
A few years ago in one of my church buildings storage closets, I found a 40 year old case of Sylvania lifeline F40T12s.  10 out of the 30 tubes were dead due to vacuum loss.  So now when I come across old tubes, I run em to EoL.  They are no good collecting dust and are worth 0 and will be worth 0.  They are just fluorescent tubes.  I love the black caps and pre-90s tubes, no doubt about that, but what good are they if they don't light up? 

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Using vintage or antique fluorescent tubes « Reply #43 on: December 01, 2017, 12:39:08 AM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
A few years ago in one of my church buildings storage closets, I found a 40 year old case of Sylvania lifeline F40T12s.  10 out of the 30 tubes were dead due to vacuum loss.  So now when I come across old tubes, I run em to EoL.  They are no good collecting dust and are worth 0 and will be worth 0.  They are just fluorescent tubes.  I love the black caps and pre-90s tubes, no doubt about that, but what good are they if they don't light up? 

well i mean if they don't light up you could always throw them around... or have a sword fight... just think of all the lovely shattering of glass!

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

toomanybulbs

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Using vintage or antique fluorescent tubes « Reply #44 on: December 10, 2017, 08:49:31 AM » Author: toomanybulbs
just bought a case of 30 real vita lite f8t5 at an estate sale.usa made in the 70's.
they started out at $75.
last day of sale i got the case for $5.
the dealer who ran the sale figured out that nobody else had any interest in them and took my offer on a bunch of other stuff too.
what surprised me was the nickle plated coleman lantern that stayed all weekend at $50.got it for $5 too.real nice shape.
his comment was that everyone who saw it thought it was too dangerous to use.
they are safe if you handle the fuel safely.
have never seen an accident that wasnt the result of stupidity on the part of its operator.
got several nice vintage tube radios and 11 vintage flashlights free.
the widow saw my interest and preferred they go to me rather than donating them to goodwill.esp when she found out that yes they could be repaired and that i would.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies