Author Topic: broken filiments+high voltage=bright light  (Read 2020 times)
form109
broken filiments+high voltage=bright light « on: July 18, 2008, 04:46:11 PM » Author: form109
once i connected a incandescent lamp with a broken filament to a microwave oven transformer,the result was a very bright orange flash,followed by a continuous bright blue/purple glow,afterwards when the lamp was turned off because of the high current the tungsten from both ends of the filament was sputtered viloently,blackening the bulb,and causing the removal of the internal coating,i hope to try this experiment whem my philips halogena lamp goes out,the results should be intresting,but not as destructive because the arc is contained in the quartz preventing it from wandering around and melting the outter bulb.
GE M-400A1

View Posts
View Gallery

My Pontiac 6000 STE

Re: broken filiments+high voltage=bright light « Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 07:52:45 PM » Author: GE M-400A1
Never heard of that!

My Cars:

1986 Pontiac 6000 STE

1996 Chrysler Concorde LXi

1998 Chrysler Cirrus LXi

form109
Re: broken filiments+high voltage=bright light « Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 08:06:40 PM » Author: form109
the high voltage will ionize the gas filling,and cause a brilliantly colored arc,depending on the type of gas.
Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

All photos are brought to you by Bubby industries.

GoL Solanaceae.Keif.Fitz Keif Fitz bubby_keif
Re: broken filiments+high voltage=bright light « Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 01:19:16 AM » Author: Solanaceae
Most Incan bulbs now have argon or krypton fill. I have connected 40w bulbs to flyback transformers and gotten a brilliant purpl/blue lightning pattern from it.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: broken filiments+high voltage=bright light « Reply #4 on: June 06, 2015, 08:01:07 AM » Author: Medved
The bright light come from the ends acting as discharge electrodes at that moment. The high voltage of the discharge heats them up so they reach thermionic emission, what means for bare tungsten really high temperatures, hence the bright glow.
Then the bluish light is the discharge in the gas fill (on 120V it is almost exclusively Ar or KR, with 230V it means their mixture with N for increased breakdown voltages necessary for the 230V)

No more selfballasted c***

Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

All photos are brought to you by Bubby industries.

GoL Solanaceae.Keif.Fitz Keif Fitz bubby_keif
Re: broken filiments+high voltage=bright light « Reply #5 on: June 06, 2015, 09:18:20 AM » Author: Solanaceae
If you continue running the transformer the bulb will get sputtered because of the tungsten.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies