Author Topic: Wanted. 14-15-20w preheat choke ballasts  (Read 1630 times)
Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

All photos are brought to you by Bubby industries.

GoL Solanaceae.Keif.Fitz Keif Fitz bubby_keif
Wanted. 14-15-20w preheat choke ballasts « on: May 08, 2015, 07:06:03 PM » Author: Solanaceae
Hey. I'm wondering if anyone knows where I can find a number of 14-15-20 preheat chokes, or if Anyone has any. Thanks :)

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

nicksfans

View Posts
View Gallery

Down with lamp bans!

GoL the.baus.of.all.bauses UCDl2EWWZc9h1IZXcfGU9OZA nicksfans
Re: Wanted. 14-15-20w preheat choke ballasts « Reply #1 on: May 10, 2015, 11:56:31 PM » Author: nicksfans
These aren't quite full power but they're inexpensive if you buy several (to make shipping more reasonable). I know Sola isn't known for amazing quality, but preheat chokes are simple things and pretty difficult to screw up. In fact, the only Sola ballasts I've had bad experiences with are electronic ones.

I like my lamps thick, my ballasts heavy, and my fixtures tough.

My Gallery
Instagram
YouTube

Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

All photos are brought to you by Bubby industries.

GoL Solanaceae.Keif.Fitz Keif Fitz bubby_keif
Re: Wanted. 14-15-20w preheat choke ballasts « Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 12:14:52 AM » Author: Solanaceae
These aren't quite full power but they're inexpensive if you buy several (to make shipping more reasonable). I know Sola isn't known for amazing quality, but preheat chokes are simple things and pretty difficult to screw up. In fact, the only Sola ballasts I've had bad experiences with are electronic ones.
.36 amps doesn't seem to be that bad; the highest power chokes for 14-20w are.35a. I'll have a look later on. Thank you for the link and reply.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

themaritimegirl

View Posts
View Gallery

Florence

themaritimegirl themaritimegirl themaritimegirl
Re: Wanted. 14-15-20w preheat choke ballasts « Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 08:23:14 PM » Author: themaritimegirl
Chokes are sometimes rated for more current than they'll actually draw in normal use. Sometimes it will be the preheat current (although I don't know if they actually mean to rate it as the preheat current or if it just ends up that way). The ballast Nick linked is rated for the F15T12, so if it was designed correctly, it should provide around 0.32A running an F15T12 (the F15T12 is usually driven closest to full power on 14/15/20 chokes). This would approximate (going by measurements on my own ballasts) to around 0.28A for the F15T8, 0.35A for the F14T12, and 0.27A for the F20T12. So pretty decent for everything but the F20T12. These are best-case numbers, though - everything could be less, and/or could fluctuate more wildly.

Sola's spec sheet for this ballast is out of whack, though. The input currents are really high, but I'm willing to assume that's probably (hopefully) preheat current. What's really nuts is the ballast factors, though. They certainly don't align with the currents, but they don't even make sense relative to the other lamps. For example, it lists the F20T12 as having a higher ballast factor than the F15T8. That would mean the F20T12 would run at a higher current than the F15T8, and that's physically impossible.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 08:31:06 PM by TheMaritimeMan » Logged

Electrical Engineering Graduate
YouTube | Twitter | Instagram

TheUniversalDave1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Wanted. 14-15-20w preheat choke ballasts « Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 10:05:20 AM » Author: TheUniversalDave1
Home Depot sells preheat chokes. Menards sells a Sylvania Quicktronic 1x15 rapid start ballast.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies