Author Topic: Close encounters with nature  (Read 10681 times)
Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

All photos are brought to you by Bubby industries.

GoL Solanaceae.Keif.Fitz Keif Fitz bubby_keif
Close encounters with nature « on: May 10, 2015, 06:51:01 PM » Author: Solanaceae
Hi. I was wondering what anyone's closest encounter with nature was. Mine was when I was outside on a dreary day. I went out to observe mushroom growth (it was real rainy earlier in the day.) I was under the trees and I left and started up to the deck. I went into the sunroom and a bolt of lightning struck the trees behind the house as I entered the house and the sound was deafening. Had I stayed outside for another minute, I could've been fried by lightning.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

ace100w120v

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Close encounters with nature « Reply #1 on: May 10, 2015, 11:44:48 PM » Author: ace100w120v
Walking up my driveway, dog goes nuts and starts barking, and there's a bear in the backyard standing on it's hind legs, and you can hear the cubs (mama bear) rubbing around in the bushes. 
tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Close encounters with nature « Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 01:02:10 AM » Author: tolivac
Would have to be a few times I encountered wild hogs and bears on my way to work(mid shift)Creepy-the eyes in these beasts do not reflect light and they are black or dark in color-so you see them right as you come upon them.Another time--buck deer standing in the other lane--just standing there-drueling from his mouth-rolled down the window and asked if he was alright-looked at me--rolled my window up and slowly drove by him.In my rearview mirror could see he was still there-Hope someone won't hit him!This was several years ago.Not really nature-but from a neighbor who lives by the transmitter plant-his horse got loose and was standing in the middle of the road.Very gently drove around him.Another time he was beside the road shaking his head.He stayed by the side of the street as I went by.Lucky for the both of us!!Other times its snakes,raccoons,possums,foxes,bobcats.
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Close encounters with nature « Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 01:59:24 PM » Author: Medved
The "closest":
Once hitting some medium sized bird by the windshield. It was rather strong cross wind, forming turbulences around the road edges and the bird hat clearly troubless maneuvring there.
Other was the "kiss" to a boar.

The "scariest":
Here belong the boar as well.
Otherwise having a beavy of buffalos few 100's meters at dark on the highway in front of my car just close to Pocatello (about here) when returning to Pocatello from the Yellowstone, lights from Pocatello were already very close). Was able to slow down in time and slowly pass them, it was at the end of September.
And other was about week earlier, when driving via this small road (trying to see other than wide highways ;-), was just first two weeks in the US...) from the Grand Teton back to Pocatello, the road get blocked by few cars. I was wondering what was happening and then saw the people out of the car, taking photos of a small bear cub trying to bend some small tree (guess it was just playing) just about 20m away. I was really expecting the moteher coming soon... After about 10 minutes it run away, so we moved away. Maybe I was wy overscared here, as I don't know the safe distance limit and knew, the encounter with a mother bear "protecting" her cub does not use to be so pleasant...

No more selfballasted c***

tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Close encounters with nature « Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 01:20:25 AM » Author: tolivac
On some rare nights after bad rainstorms and it is wet,humid-the FROGS are everywhere!Its disgusting- driving over them or stepping on them.Like the Horror Movie "Frogs"!Then that brings out the possums and raccoons.So-you hit those,too!
Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Close encounters with nature « Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 10:10:00 PM » Author: Solanaceae
We get lots of rain here in the Midwest and the mosquitoes and gnats are terrible. I'll sprY my HPS streetlight refractor with bug killer and the next day thousands of tiny bugs will be stuck on it.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Close encounters with nature « Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 02:56:44 AM » Author: Medved
Bugs attracted by a HPS? It is quite unseen here.
Of course, MV's are huge magnet for them and you may find big heap of them in the bowl after quite short while, even when it is supposed to be sealed...

No more selfballasted c***

Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Close encounters with nature « Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 05:21:27 PM » Author: Solanaceae
Within 5 minutes of the HPS fixture starting, the thing is encircled by a cloud of moths, flies, and gnats. I also put a fixture that had GE plant/aquarium bulbs installed on the underside of the deck and the gnats dug that too. I couldn't sit near it without being swarmed.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

hannahs lights

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Close encounters with nature « Reply #8 on: May 28, 2015, 01:49:10 PM » Author: hannahs lights
A little while ago I went into an old shed and saw a HUGE spidersweb with a bee trapped in it so I rescued the bee he flew about a bit and did a bit of a victory roll I hate spiders but love bees
Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Close encounters with nature « Reply #9 on: May 28, 2015, 02:17:53 PM » Author: Solanaceae
I was out on the back deck moving stuff around when a huge wasp started chasing me around. I flipped out and got it off my tail once I went inside.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

ace100w120v

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Close encounters with nature « Reply #10 on: May 30, 2015, 07:55:41 PM » Author: ace100w120v
I got stung by a yellowjacket in my EAR once!
Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Close encounters with nature « Reply #11 on: May 30, 2015, 10:41:11 PM » Author: Solanaceae
I biked to to a park (20min) and I was walking in the grassy area my shoe fell off. There were lots of clovers which ment lots of bees. I went to get my shoe back and I stepped on a bee. My foot swelled so bad that the arch was barely visible and it burned like he••. Worst bike ride home ever.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

ace100w120v

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Close encounters with nature « Reply #12 on: May 30, 2015, 10:45:27 PM » Author: ace100w120v
I bet it was! My dad got bitten twice by a spider on the forehead while sleeping.
Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Close encounters with nature « Reply #13 on: May 30, 2015, 10:56:29 PM » Author: Solanaceae
That sucks. At least it wasn't brown recluse or a black widow, baby! :P I hate buffalo gnat bites. They hurt and will itch for a week.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Close encounters with nature « Reply #14 on: June 05, 2015, 02:17:43 PM » Author: Solanaceae
I was just out Side on the deck and a lighting hit about a half mile away and I bolted inside (no pun intended). It's currently pouring and windy with sideways rain.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies