Author Topic: Recommendations for GU10 LEDs  (Read 1801 times)
Distorted Vision

View Posts
View Gallery

Recommendations for GU10 LEDs « on: April 19, 2015, 06:37:30 AM » Author: Distorted Vision
We are having a new bathroom installed. The Aurora downlights I chose can be used either 12V or 240V and come with MR16 and GU10 lampholders. Initially I was going to have transformers fitted with Philips MasterLine MR16s as we have these in our main bathroom and I really like the light quality and I haven't had to change a single bulb in 4.5 years.

I'm now trying to decide between going with the same MR16s in the new bathroom or GU10 LEDs. I was looking at Philips Master LEDs:

http://www.ecat.lighting.philips.co.uk/l/lamps/led-lamps-and-systems/led-lamps/master-ledspot-mv-value/929000257002_eu/

There are various colour temperatures available: 2700K, 3000K, 4000K. I want the brightness and light quality as close the Philips MasterLINE MR16 halogens as possible. (My original thread posted 4.5 years ago: http://www.lighting-gallery.net/index.php?topic=1688)

I do not want the yellow like you get from incandescent or the cold artificial light from CFLs. I'm mostly concerned about the LEDs being horrible and cold like CFLs. We only have CFLs on the hall, stairs and landing as you don't notice the light quality there.

I'm guessing that 3000K would be the best option in these Philips LEDs. I'd welcome any suggestions for LEDs from other manufacturers that would meet my requirements.

Many thanks!
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Recommendations for GU10 LEDs « Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 07:38:43 AM » Author: dor123
Most LED product, have poor color quality, even compared to the cheap daylight halophosphors fluorescent lamps, since their spectrum is unballanced: Only a narrow peak in the blue and a wide peak in the yellow.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Distorted Vision

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Recommendations for GU10 LEDs « Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 07:55:58 AM » Author: Distorted Vision
dor13, the Philips LED I ordered from Amazon arrived 15 mins ago funnily enough. I just tried it in one of the fittings in the kitchen. My first impression was about the colour quality. I ordered 3000K which is supposed to match halogen but they appeared horrible and cold like energy saving CFLs. I think I might stick with the MR16s in the new bathroom.

I was considering changing all the GU10s from halogen to LED in the kitchen. I was going to order a 2700K LED to test it for colour quality. But I noticed that its lower lumens and candela so I'm thinking of not bothering.
nicksfans

View Posts
View Gallery

Down with lamp bans!

GoL the.baus.of.all.bauses UCDl2EWWZc9h1IZXcfGU9OZA nicksfans
Re: Recommendations for GU10 LEDs « Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 04:36:49 PM » Author: nicksfans
I don't think you'll find an LED MR16 with the light color of an incandescent/halogen. I'd stick with the halogen MR16s for now until some better LEDs come out. Even the 2700K LEDs don't really look like incandescents IMO.

I like my lamps thick, my ballasts heavy, and my fixtures tough.

My Gallery
Instagram
YouTube

Cavannus

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Recommendations for GU10 LEDs « Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 06:30:56 PM » Author: Cavannus
Go with the Soraa line. They use a violet led hence the noticeable "full" spectrum that is extremely close to incandescent in 2700K. The only difference you'll perceive is the flickering if you're sensitive to it, otherwise you'll immediately forget that your Soraa is a led.
Distorted Vision

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Recommendations for GU10 LEDs « Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 07:06:13 PM » Author: Distorted Vision
Many thanks. I'm definitely going to research these LEDs. I want to install 12 to 14 GU10 fittings in my office at home.

Go with the Soraa line. They use a violet led hence the noticeable "full" spectrum that is extremely close to incandescent in 2700K. The only difference you'll perceive is the flickering if you're sensitive to it, otherwise you'll immediately forget that your Soraa is a led.
Cavannus

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Recommendations for GU10 LEDs « Reply #6 on: May 12, 2015, 02:30:29 AM » Author: Cavannus
They are easy to find online (see the dedicated page on Soraa website), you must look for the "Vivid" line (the current line is "Vivid 2" rated CRI=95 and R9>90 in 2700K). They exist for both 230 and 120V voltages.

I have the previous generation of Vivid GU10 so I can't say whether the flickering has been improved or not. On my version you can see it but it remains relatively acceptable compared to the TCP and Philips GU10 bulbs I've tested, if you're not to sensitive to it. I've used the 2700K 60° version daily in my kitchen for 1 year. Before buying 14 of them you may try with one, but IMO they're worth the price.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies