Author Topic: ITT Merc questions  (Read 2040 times)
Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

All photos are brought to you by Bubby industries.

GoL Solanaceae.Keif.Fitz Keif Fitz bubby_keif
ITT Merc questions « on: May 22, 2015, 05:23:54 PM » Author: Solanaceae
I have two ITT Mercs from eBay. I have a few questions: who is ITT and who owned them?
Are they affiliated with ITT tech, whose logo has the same font as the lamp? Pics for comparison:

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

James

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: ITT Merc questions « Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 04:23:50 PM » Author: James
ITT is an old American company, International Telephone and Telegraph, founded in 1920.  They diversified into many consumer and professional electronic manufacturing activities, and owing to the inordinately high profits that used to be earned in lamps, like many electrical companies they also wished to get into that business.

Their chance came in 1966 when ITT took over a French company that consisted of three manufacturers who had previously joined together : Claude, Paz et Visseaux.  They also took over one of the small American manufacturers, Champion, but I don't know precisely when.

ITT grew to become a real global power in a wide variety of electrical businesses, when I was a child we had an ITT television and several other domestic appliances of that company.  Later they diversified into completely unrelated businesses like their takeover of Sheraton Hotels and Avis Car rentals.  Perhaps at a certain moment the company became too huge, and began to lose its direction.  It went through a phase similar to Westinghouse and GTE and which Philips seems to be doing to itself at the moment, selling off various business units and making poor management decisions with the parts of the business that it kept.  Like a handful of other formerly giant corporations, this saw the company shrink away to almost nothing.  The lighting division of ITT was purchased by Sylvania in 1980.  Since ITT was a more powerful brand name than Sylvania in some countries, Sylvania used the ITT brand name for a number of years.  In Europe the Sylvania lamps were in fact branded ITT-Claude for many years.

I suspect that your mercury lamp was in fact made by Sylvania in USA, but ITT-Claude also made mercury lamps of the American BT style in the north of France.
ace100w120v

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: ITT Merc questions « Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 08:31:24 PM » Author: ace100w120v
So how did Norelco/Philips later come in to the picture? Wow, I had no idea ITT was involved in other random things like Avis rental cars...

I wonder if we will see the Philips lighting division be bought out by some other company and go through a rebranding, etc?
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies