Author Topic: Vintage Lighting Collection  (Read 2728 times)
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Vintage Lighting Collection « on: May 06, 2016, 12:32:14 AM » Author: joseph_125
The Canada Science and Technology Museum posted parts of their lighting collection online.

See how many rare pieces you can see.  :mv:
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Vintage Lighting Collection « Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 08:17:19 AM » Author: wattMaster
Awesome!

SLS! (Stop LED Streetlights!)

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Vintage Lighting Collection « Reply #2 on: May 08, 2016, 09:03:40 PM » Author: joseph_125
Yeah, they have some pretty rare pieces too, like a near NOS Powerlite B2217, a /X 400w merc, and a early 250w merc.
Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

All photos are brought to you by Bubby industries.

GoL Solanaceae.Keif.Fitz Keif Fitz bubby_keif
Re: Vintage Lighting Collection « Reply #3 on: May 08, 2016, 09:14:10 PM » Author: Solanaceae
That /X banner is sexy, someone needs to tell them about us!

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Vintage Lighting Collection « Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 02:59:09 AM » Author: joseph_125
Seems this site has a much more detailed catalogue of the collection.

Some of the lighting goodies I've found:
1st Gen Powergroove(with the long grooves on one side)
Same but the 6' version
Another view of the B2217
A Westinghouse OV-14B
LM Ovalite
Powerlite fluorescent streetlight
Newer PG lamp
PG lamp with uncoated electrodes
Half coated PG lamp

There was also some T17 lamps so I'd imagine they were somewhat common in Canada back in the 50s and the 60s which is when it seems like the majority of the collection dates from.
good223

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Vintage Lighting Collection « Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 08:57:13 AM » Author: good223

Same but the 6' version
A Westinghouse OV-14B
LM Ovalite
Newer PG lamp
Half coated PG lamp

There was also some T17 lamps so I'd imagine they were somewhat common in Canada back in the 50s and the 60s which is when it seems like the majority of the collection dates from.

I noticed on the 1st gen powergroove lamp link, they said rapid start lamps were coated with dri-film to aid in starting in humid conditions.

Anyone know what "dri-film" is?
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Vintage Lighting Collection « Reply #6 on: May 25, 2016, 07:23:21 AM » Author: wattMaster

Same but the 6' version
A Westinghouse OV-14B
LM Ovalite
Newer PG lamp
Half coated PG lamp

I noticed on the 1st gen powergroove lamp link, they said rapid start lamps were coated with dri-film to aid in starting in humid conditions.

Anyone know what "dri-film" is?
I think that dri-film is a hydrophobic material to repel water, Which creates resistance, Which means no starting.

good223

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Vintage Lighting Collection « Reply #7 on: May 25, 2016, 07:27:53 AM » Author: good223
Oh I guess I shouldn't have been wiping off that greasy film from new bulbs. I never knew it was for starting.

Then again I haven't noticed any adverse affects from it missing.
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Vintage Lighting Collection « Reply #8 on: May 25, 2016, 07:31:18 AM » Author: wattMaster
Oh I guess I shouldn't have been wiping off that greasy film from new bulbs. I never knew it was for starting.

Then again I haven't noticed any adverse affects from it missing.
That's because you're in Texas, A dry place.
It would be a nightmare if you brought it to Florida. We consider 40% humidity to be desert dry.

good223

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Vintage Lighting Collection « Reply #9 on: May 25, 2016, 07:32:31 AM » Author: good223
That's true. I totally forgot about that.
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Vintage Lighting Collection « Reply #10 on: May 25, 2016, 07:35:04 AM » Author: wattMaster
I thought that dri-film was like "Food Wrap" and like a layer.
But not a grease.

good223

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Vintage Lighting Collection « Reply #11 on: May 25, 2016, 07:39:06 AM » Author: good223
I'm thinking it's that oily film you often feel when you handle brand new bulbs. Once you wipe a bulb with a wet rag and dry it with another rag you feel the residue is gone.
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Vintage Lighting Collection « Reply #12 on: May 25, 2016, 08:40:00 AM » Author: wattMaster
I'm thinking it's that oily film you often feel when you handle brand new bulbs. Once you wipe a bulb with a wet rag and dry it with another rag you feel the residue is gone.
I have never felt that ever on a new bulb.

good223

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Vintage Lighting Collection « Reply #13 on: May 25, 2016, 08:43:15 AM » Author: good223
I have never felt that ever on a new bulb.

Hmm that's a surprise. I've encountered it on all new bulbs and even vintage bulbs.

I'll try to get a video of my finger wiping the residue when I get the chance
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies