Author Topic: Article: Are Mercury Lamps Still Legal?  (Read 4779 times)
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Article: Are Mercury Lamps Still Legal? « Reply #15 on: August 16, 2015, 03:30:50 AM » Author: Ash
That might or might not work - didnt work for me with 150W SON Plus (higher pressure high output) HPS on 240V
BlueHalide

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Article: Are Mercury Lamps Still Legal? « Reply #16 on: August 16, 2015, 11:55:52 AM » Author: BlueHalide
Nearly 90% of all the ruptured EOL MH lamps ive seen were universal burn lamps operating horizontally (parking lot lights, floodlights etc..), and nearly all of those were pulse start, which makes sense as pulse start lamps on average continue to start long after probe start lamps. The one or two times I came across an exploded base-up burn probe start was due to misapplication (eg. 250w lamp on 400w ballast). come to think of it, I have actually yet to find a ruptured base-up probe start lamp happen from just EOL at regular use on the correct ballast.
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Article: Are Mercury Lamps Still Legal? « Reply #17 on: August 16, 2015, 01:21:02 PM » Author: Ash
I have a 400W Probe Start lamp with bad bubble on the side, looks ready to explode. Apparently had been run horizontally. I got it in a haul of ~20 different MH lamps from a sparky, he could not tell me in what state he found this lamp (this was a group relamp, and there were lamps in any condition from brand-new-looking to exploded arctubes, he replaced them all and didnt look which is which)

Knowing the place the lamp came from, the lamp was used in a Low bay lantern

Can post picture of the lamp if you are interested
BlueHalide

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Article: Are Mercury Lamps Still Legal? « Reply #18 on: August 16, 2015, 02:21:50 PM » Author: BlueHalide
Interesting to have a bubble form in the arctube of a base up operated lamp (low bays). Ide like to see a pic of that. Typically that only happens with lamps operating horizontally. Having multiple ruptured lamps in a lot of only 20 or so is extremely uncommon, like I said, ive only seen 12-15 cases in my lifetime, and practically none in base up operated lamps.
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Article: Are Mercury Lamps Still Legal? « Reply #19 on: August 16, 2015, 02:23:56 PM » Author: Ash
There are the square lowbays with the horizontal lamp. I will get around to taking a picture in a couple of days
randacnam7321

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Article: Are Mercury Lamps Still Legal? « Reply #20 on: August 23, 2015, 03:02:31 AM » Author: randacnam7321
I did see frequent explosive failure in some metal halide floodlights in one section of a grocery store years ago.  Out of about 20 fixtures, at least 2 had lamps that had ruptured arc tubes and often at least one failed lamp had ruptured entirely and blackened the entire fixture.  The lamps were most likely 100W or 175W and used in square compact outdoor floodlights with the lamps mounted horizontally.

Old school FTW!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies