Author Topic: Wiring temperature rating for a cobra head.  (Read 1205 times)
Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

All photos are brought to you by Bubby industries.

GoL Solanaceae.Keif.Fitz Keif Fitz bubby_keif
Wiring temperature rating for a cobra head. « on: September 12, 2015, 09:25:01 PM » Author: Solanaceae
I am getting a westy OV-25 that I'm retrofitting to 175w since the original ballast is 480v. Does anyone know what wire I should use? I'm going to use two capacitors in parallel (10 and 7.5uf) to replace the plastic crapacitor that came default with the kit. The caps are both 370 volts, so I don't have to worry about the compatibility issues. Should I use wire rated for 90 Celsius or should I go for something higher? Thanks.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Wiring temperature rating for a cobra head. « Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 07:14:02 AM » Author: Ash
As long as the wiring is in its correct place - away from the lamp compartment and not too close to the ballast, i guess 70C is okay - That is what i see here and it stays fine

For the internal wiring that reaches to the components, you would have to use higher temp wire

For the wiring going to the socket, you would have to use proper high temp wiring - silicone in glass braid sleeve etc
Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

All photos are brought to you by Bubby industries.

GoL Solanaceae.Keif.Fitz Keif Fitz bubby_keif
Re: Wiring temperature rating for a cobra head. « Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 02:09:24 PM » Author: Solanaceae
Ash, I dug up some wire I had leftover from my NEMA head. The consensus I came to was using the 150 Celsius wire for the wires that go from the ballast, to the cap, and from the cap, to the lampholder. The wires bridging the caps together are 105 Celsius, since they are going to be back near the slipfitter, and heat won't be a big problem. I also have extra fiberglass sleeving to slip around the wires too. That's what I used for the NEMA head. Thanks. :)

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies