Author Topic: Duro-Lite Flower Lites - voltage??  (Read 964 times)
herlax

View Posts
View Gallery

Duro-Lite Flower Lites - voltage?? « on: March 25, 2021, 07:15:01 AM » Author: herlax
I found 2 old intact Duro-Light Flower Lites bulbs in their retail package. My late father-in-law was in a profession where he got all kind of sales samples. These must be such samples.

I am wondering what is the operating voltage of these lamps? There is no what so ever markings about any voltage on the lamp or on the package. The lamp has E27 screw. Package says 3W. Made in USA. I live in Finland. We have 220V. These lamps might be for 110V ?? I do not dare to try!

I am also curious to know if these lamps are collectable items?

/herlax
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Duro-Lite Flower Lites - voltage?? « Reply #1 on: March 25, 2021, 09:06:04 AM » Author: Rommie
Hi and welcome to Lighting Gallery.

These are beautiful lamps and are certainly collectable, as to the voltage, I am surprised that it is not marked anywhere, especially as you have the original packaging to protect the lamps. All too often, etches can be worn off and there is no clue, I have several such examples. The only way is to run them on a Variac and gradually increase the voltage until it lights. If you don't have one then it is difficult  :-\

Hopefully someone else here will be able to advise you, but keep hold of these, they're beautiful  :bulbman:

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

fluorescent lover 40

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Duro-Lite Flower Lites - voltage?? « Reply #2 on: March 25, 2021, 02:09:24 PM » Author: fluorescent lover 40
Welcome to LG!

They are collectable for sure. Duro-Lite was the residential part of Duro-Test I believe and I believe the American division of Duro-Test went out of business in 1999.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 09:57:08 PM by fluorescent lover 40 » Logged
James

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Duro-Lite Flower Lites - voltage?? « Reply #3 on: March 25, 2021, 06:28:13 PM » Author: James
I think these are probably for 220V mains, because they have an E27 cap.  If they had been for 120V they would probably have an E26 cap.
f36t8

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Duro-Lite Flower Lites - voltage?? « Reply #4 on: March 25, 2021, 08:48:28 PM » Author: f36t8
As James wrote, with an E27 cap it is probably for 220V (lamps for the North American market generally have E26 caps). But: does the box say E27, or it is just an assumption based on visual apperance? A You can compare the base to a known E27 bulb to see if it is the same size or smaller.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Duro-Lite Flower Lites - voltage?? « Reply #5 on: March 25, 2021, 08:54:30 PM » Author: Rommie
Looking at it I would say E27, as the E26 caps tend to be slightly shorter. But light it on 120V first if possible.

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Duro-Lite Flower Lites - voltage?? « Reply #6 on: March 26, 2021, 01:24:30 AM » Author: tolivac
The "flower" lamps I had seen run on 120V Standardmedium screw bulb holder-been MANY years since I had seen bulbs like those!They were indeed beautiful when lit!
herlax

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Duro-Lite Flower Lites - voltage?? « Reply #7 on: March 27, 2021, 01:14:31 PM » Author: herlax
Thanks for all your comments and sorry for my slow response.

There are no markings about E27 or E26 on the retail box. I removed an E27 standard bulb from a lamp (no voltage). I could screw my Duro-Lite bulp into the socket. It did screw in  perfectly. I have never seen E26. If my flower lamp was with E26, would it have been possible to screw it like I could?

The best way to be sure is to try the lamp with 110V. I know an electrician who can do the testing for both 110V and "slide" the voltage then to 220V.

Ps. I had 2 pictures of the same bulb. This new picture is the other bulb you gave not seen here before.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Duro-Lite Flower Lites - voltage?? « Reply #8 on: March 27, 2021, 01:19:57 PM » Author: Rommie
E26 and E27 caps are very close in size, as are E39 and E40 caps. So yes, an E26 cap will fit into an E27 socket, and vice versa, although E39 and E40 can sometimes be more difficult to mix and match.

By the way, if you haven't already posted a picture of this lamp in the gallery, I highly recommend you do so, as we have many members don't read the forum section much and mainly concentrate on the gallery.

Once again, thanks for sharing this wonderful lamp with us  :bulbman:

herlax

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Duro-Lite Flower Lites - voltage?? « Reply #9 on: March 28, 2021, 09:43:31 AM » Author: herlax
I placed the pictures into a gallery that I created. First time with this forum's application. I included a screen shot in which you can see in which gallery the picture is.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Duro-Lite Flower Lites - voltage?? « Reply #10 on: March 28, 2021, 09:49:41 AM » Author: Rommie
That's wonderful, thank you. If you need any help using the site's features, please let me know, I am one of the administration team.

Ria  :love:

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies