Author Topic: Do RX6s base PSMH lamps fit in 300/500w halogen fixtures?  (Read 2697 times)
Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Do RX6s base PSMH lamps fit in 300/500w halogen fixtures? « on: October 07, 2015, 11:33:47 PM » Author: Lumex120
I want to build an aquarium light fixture using this type of lamp. I have a 300/500w halogen floodlight, and was wondering if the lamp would fit in there? It is a perfect fit for the fixture I want to build, but I don't know if the lamp will fit. Will it?

Unofficial LG Discord

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Do RX6s base PSMH lamps fit in 300/500w halogen fixtures? « Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 04:39:23 AM » Author: dor123
The base called RX7s and not RX6s, and I think that it is possible to install 70W and 150W RX7s MH lamp in a R7s halogen socket for 300-500W lamps. You need a remote ballast and ignitor to operate the lamp.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do RX6s base PSMH lamps fit in 300/500w halogen fixtures? « Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 09:10:13 AM » Author: Medved
As far as I know, only the 70W fit into the 300/500W lanterns. The 150W are longer...
And even with the 70W you may have problems with the width: Some sockets are too small, so the socket pushes the pins side wise. And that is not good - the cement holding the contact on the lamp tend to break.

No more selfballasted c***

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do RX6s base PSMH lamps fit in 300/500w halogen fixtures? « Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 09:32:34 AM » Author: Ash
And worth mentioning that some wires used for the halogen holders never expected 5KV from a HID ignitor

Also the cement tends to fail from presence of moisture, which may well be the case above an aquarium
sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do RX6s base PSMH lamps fit in 300/500w halogen fixtures? « Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 03:22:37 PM » Author: sol
It should be possible to replace the lamp holder with a proper MH RX7 for a minimal amount of money. Then you'd be sure the intended lamp will fit. I am considering a conversion as well and that is what I'm planning to do.
Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Do RX6s base PSMH lamps fit in 300/500w halogen fixtures? « Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 03:57:32 PM » Author: Lumex120
It should be possible to replace the lamp holder with a proper MH RX7 for a minimal amount of money. Then you'd be sure the intended lamp will fit. I am considering a conversion as well and that is what I'm planning to do.
That's what I thought too. The major problem? The cheapest I can find some holders for is $15:00   :o

Unofficial LG Discord

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do RX6s base PSMH lamps fit in 300/500w halogen fixtures? « Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 04:09:52 PM » Author: sol
That's what I would expect to pay for one here.
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do RX6s base PSMH lamps fit in 300/500w halogen fixtures? « Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 04:43:11 PM » Author: Ash
The holder itself is ok unless it is damaged, but sure slip a few layers of glass braid isolation tube on the wires coming to it

Speaking of which, definitely get some of this tube to have on hand. It is useful for heat and mechanical protection of wiring whenever you repair a HID or high power incandescent lantern
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do RX6s base PSMH lamps fit in 300/500w halogen fixtures? « Reply #8 on: October 10, 2015, 04:24:01 AM » Author: Medved
And worth mentioning that some wires used for the halogen holders never expected 5KV from a HID ignitor

Also the cement tends to fail from presence of moisture, which may well be the case above an aquarium

Any insulation for 230V installation should withstand 4kVrms for at least one minute. That is about 6kV peak. So a 3.5kV ignitor would be perfectly safe from that perspective.

With the mechanical dimensions: Up to now I've always managed to adjust the socket within it's tolerances so, the lamp did fit properly. I never needed more than about 0.5mm, while the socket was possible to readjust by about 1.5mm...

No more selfballasted c***

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do RX6s base PSMH lamps fit in 300/500w halogen fixtures? « Reply #9 on: October 10, 2015, 06:31:54 AM » Author: Ash
I seen some 300W uplighters (they were common here at some point as indirect room lights) where the wire isolation is equivalent to a porous material. Just some straight threads in with the Cu conductors and on top of that the glass braid, like a paracord. That mean ~1mm air gap between conductor and lantern metal where the isolated wire rest on the metal
hannahs lights

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do RX6s base PSMH lamps fit in 300/500w halogen fixtures? « Reply #10 on: October 10, 2015, 07:20:23 AM » Author: hannahs lights
Won't those lamps get so hot they will cook your poor fish!
Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Do RX6s base PSMH lamps fit in 300/500w halogen fixtures? « Reply #11 on: October 10, 2015, 09:15:31 AM » Author: Lumex120
Won't those lamps get so hot they will cook your poor fish!
Not necessairly. These light fixtures have a cooling fan which keeps the inside of the light from overheating, and any reflected heat gets cooled off by the cold water. My aquarium is colder that it is supposed to be, even with a heater, so this will probably help somewhat.

Unofficial LG Discord

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do RX6s base PSMH lamps fit in 300/500w halogen fixtures? « Reply #12 on: October 10, 2015, 01:36:53 PM » Author: Ash
Better fan not the lights (they dont need it) but the entire canopy over the tank. Also this allows you to use bigger and slower fan, so less noise and less dust clogging (which will eventually make the fan fail)
tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do RX6s base PSMH lamps fit in 300/500w halogen fixtures? « Reply #13 on: October 12, 2015, 12:42:15 AM » Author: tolivac
For aquarium light fixtures-a lens or other barrier should isolate the lamps from the contents of the tank-that way no danger of water contacting hot bulbs causing sudden failure-or if a lamp blows-the fragments don't get into the tank.The lens also serves as a heat barrier so the fish won't get cooked.The blower can then cool the lights and no danger of dust being blown into the tank from the blower cooling the lights.Also grow lights should have the lens so a blown bulb won't discharge the debris onto edible crops being grown.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies