Author Topic: Dented Capacitor... Would you use it?  (Read 2501 times)
M250R201SA

View Posts
View Gallery

JGriff021985 JMG717
Dented Capacitor... Would you use it? « on: August 29, 2015, 07:42:27 PM » Author: M250R201SA
I have a GE Capacitor that was never installed, but sloppily packed and has quite a few dents in it.  Would anybody use this, or throw it in yesterday's trash?  What would happen if I were to use this?  It looks different than the capacitor that came in my new GE M250R2, which, btw, works great, so I have no intent or incentive to replace it.  Just wondering what would happen if I were to use a dented capacitor if I were to build a 250 watt conversion?

"I know a thing or two about a thing or two...  I sure do."

Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

All photos are brought to you by Bubby industries.

GoL Solanaceae.Keif.Fitz Keif Fitz bubby_keif
Re: Dented Capacitor... Would you use it? « Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 07:43:54 PM » Author: Solanaceae
I would not use it, as the dents may have broken the layers between the roll of foil, shorting or damaging it.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Dented Capacitor... Would you use it? « Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 08:18:17 PM » Author: Ash
Depends how deep dents are vs how much reliability you want from the system. The demand for reliability from a personal collection lantern is not very high, since for you the cost of replacing a failed capacitor is only the cost of capacitor itself, and no production/etc is stopped by the failure

Picture ?
hannahs lights

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Dented Capacitor... Would you use it? « Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 04:34:42 PM » Author: hannahs lights
If I was you I would try the cap with a multimeter it should show a gradually increasing DC resistance if it does its probably OK. Next step try it on mains just to make sure there's no shorts
M250R201SA

View Posts
View Gallery

JGriff021985 JMG717
Re: Dented Capacitor... Would you use it? « Reply #4 on: September 20, 2015, 08:32:56 PM » Author: M250R201SA
Depends how deep dents are vs how much reliability you want from the system. The demand for reliability from a personal collection lantern is not very high, since for you the cost of replacing a failed capacitor is only the cost of capacitor itself, and no production/etc is stopped by the failure

Picture ?

I will try to take a pic tomorrow and send it.  I tucked it away, and have to get it back out.  Also, it is worth mentioning that it is a 3rd party GE capacitor (not made for use on the assembly line, but made for the spare parts division)

"I know a thing or two about a thing or two...  I sure do."

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Dented Capacitor... Would you use it? « Reply #5 on: September 20, 2015, 08:37:08 PM » Author: Ash
As long as it is the correct spec it does not make difference.... Things get bad when inappropriate capacitor type is used such as X2 in series with lamp....
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies