Author Topic: Question about KWH meter  (Read 1765 times)
Roi_hartmann

View Posts
View Gallery

Question about KWH meter « on: September 28, 2015, 04:56:34 AM » Author: Roi_hartmann
Hi!

I recently rescued this 3-phase KWH meter from being scrapped. It was previously used to meter electricity usage of cellphone BTS. Can I use this meter to measure 1-phase only electricity usage? I was planning hooking it up to my IT-rack so I could see how much electricity those consume, but I dont have 3-phase power outlet in that room.

Aamulla aurinko, illalla AIRAM

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Question about KWH meter « Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 03:19:33 PM » Author: Medved
I think so. But you would have to find out, which phase (to have supply for it's electronic)...
Or you may connect all phase inputs just together and connect the load to one of the outputs (does not matter which one). With that the electronic will get the supply and you won't have to care on which phase it is...

No more selfballasted c***

Roi_hartmann

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Question about KWH meter « Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 01:41:05 PM » Author: Roi_hartmann
Thanks! I tested it and it appeared to work fine. Heres the final installation I did using other things salvaged from going to scrap metal

Now I can monitor how much energy my IT rack will consume. 8)

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Question about KWH meter « Reply #3 on: October 04, 2015, 06:52:42 PM » Author: Ash
I'd like a rack like that. I got some servers and networking gear for racks that i use around my home that is currently just laying around and wired on the fly...
Roi_hartmann

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Question about KWH meter « Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 04:16:21 AM » Author: Roi_hartmann
That rack is just 60cm deep so not fit for servers unfortunately. But it's very heavy and well made. It was originally used to house low power tv relay transmitter.

My IT "engine room" is just small storage room in my apartment that I have converted to that purpose. Mainly because some of the equipment's are pretty noisy. It's connected to my home office and living room via single mode fiber-optic cable. Its a kind of overkill but most of this stuff I have salvaged at work from going to scrap.

Here's a picture of whole rack in it's current state

Content from top to bottom
Rittal Energy-box that feed electricity to whole rack.
Krone LSA-PLUS CU cross connection panel (European alternative to 110 block)
Teletekno fiber optic patch panel
Planet networks MGSD-10080F Metro ethernet switch (currently working as an core switch)
Zhone VDSL2/ADSL DSLAM currently not in use
Ericsson ECN POE ethernet switch
Denon pro DN-700C Network audio player, used for playing background music from NAS
Shelf that houses Wlan AP and e-sata enclosure for nas back-up
Synology RS212 NAS
QNAP TS-851 NAS
TP-link tl-wdr3600 router running open-WTR OS
Bosch Plena system pre-amplifier for producing ding-dong sound of doorbell and giving it priority over BG-music
Bosch Plena power amplifier for 100v constant voltage speaker system (speakers around the apartment)
There is eaton protection station 650 UPS at the bottom of the rack but it's little underpowered so Im gonna replace it at somepoint.

Cooling is currently handled by simply 10W 48V DC fan with PWM control for fan speed but that system is little too underpowerd for summertime. I have been trying to think alternative methods of cooling but small roomsize and money have restricted my options.

Im also planning to adapt somekind of access controll as I recently salvaged Interlogix standalone keypad for electronic door locks. Now Im looking for magnetic lock to use with it. Once again, defined overkill with no really point but it would sure bee cool looking.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Question about KWH meter « Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 05:57:46 AM » Author: Ash
Great setup !

My gear is what i saved too from various places - workplaces, college, .... Though i dont have as much special equipment connected to use - just a couple servers and switches. The rest is ordinary ATX PC towers free standing on top of each other

And i like the hand lamp '-'
Roi_hartmann

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Question about KWH meter « Reply #6 on: October 11, 2015, 01:54:53 PM » Author: Roi_hartmann
And after one week of use, meter shows 29,1kwh of energy usage. Not that much.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies