Author Topic: Anyone socially awkward?  (Read 12110 times)
Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

All photos are brought to you by Bubby industries.

GoL Solanaceae.Keif.Fitz Keif Fitz bubby_keif
Anyone socially awkward? « on: September 28, 2015, 07:55:38 PM » Author: Solanaceae
The title here is self explanatory lol.
I feel as if I am socially awkward. I could go on and on about it, but will only say a few for time sake.
I utterly despise presentations and reading aloud in class. I also hate FaceTiming or skypeing since I HATE how I look and sound over the camera. In real life, I always have had trouble expressing myself, but online, I do it fine. I post pics of my lights on Instagram and Facebook and my friends like the pics. I also find myself dodging facetoface conversation and phone calls in favor of texting or emails. I've had the same friend group in my entire skool career. We got several new kids in my grade, about 2-3 have entered my group. I'm completely fine with that, but I'm not exactly the best conversationalist, so I keep to myself and let my friends do the interacting, lol.
Any thoughts?

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

nicksfans

View Posts
View Gallery

Down with lamp bans!

GoL the.baus.of.all.bauses UCDl2EWWZc9h1IZXcfGU9OZA nicksfans
Re: Anyone socially awkward? « Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 08:05:12 PM » Author: nicksfans
I'm not a very social person but I do enjoy socializing periodically.

I like my lamps thick, my ballasts heavy, and my fixtures tough.

My Gallery
Instagram
YouTube

ace100w120v

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Anyone socially awkward? « Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 12:03:23 AM » Author: ace100w120v
Same here.  Depends on the situation. 
hannahs lights

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Anyone socially awkward? « Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 02:28:03 PM » Author: hannahs lights
I HATE having to be in large groups I feel like I cannot deal with more than 2 or 3 people at the same time I will admit I find people a little scary although everyone on here has been lovely
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Anyone socially awkward? « Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 02:46:55 PM » Author: Medved
Once I've read an essey/study (I dunno how to call that) "Why people do not like themselves on a photo/video".
The guy made there one great remark:
People are used to see themselves daily, each morning or evening in the mirror and have no problem with that. How it comes, the same people become very uneasy, when seeing themselves on a photo/video?
One proposed answer was strange, but quite simple: Just because they use to see own faces in the mirror and know that look very well. The catch is, the mirror reverses the picture, so people are actually not used to their real look, but tho the reversed picture of their look. Then when they see their photo/video, they see very familiar picture (indeed), but still rather unknown (reversed), so it is just this conflict of "well known" vs "stranger" feeling, what just scares them a lot, so they want to eliminate the "stranger" look, so become reluctant from being photographed or so...

No more selfballasted c***

F96T12 DD VHO

View Posts
View Gallery

Just chilling I guess

https://www.facebook.com/ Unreleasedwav UC2Uv7t9KgigOoT6blff2t3w i.d._official
Re: Anyone socially awkward? « Reply #5 on: January 02, 2018, 04:19:15 PM » Author: F96T12 DD VHO
Not with my Gf and her friends and siblings
But with anyone else yes

Music Producer/Light Enthusiast

HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Anyone socially awkward? « Reply #6 on: January 02, 2018, 04:28:57 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
I'm a bit of a grey  area i would think... its really hit or miss how social i will be... but a few things are certain, I hate large groups of people (that I don't know) and I tend to avoid eye contact a lot, until i get comfortable with people (sometimes) and I have a stutter (sometimes) when i try to remember things, so sometimes I get accused of lying which is always fun, I kinda wanna pop one of my teachers in the nose for not letting up on that when I was having issues remembering something.. "You're a liar" ... in my head I was boiling with anger lmao...
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 04:30:38 PM by HomeBrewLamps » Logged

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

F96T12 DD VHO

View Posts
View Gallery

Just chilling I guess

https://www.facebook.com/ Unreleasedwav UC2Uv7t9KgigOoT6blff2t3w i.d._official
Re: Anyone socially awkward? « Reply #7 on: January 02, 2018, 04:30:41 PM » Author: F96T12 DD VHO
I'm a bit of a grey  area i would think... its really hit or miss how social i will be... but a few things are certain, I hate large groups of people (that I don't know) and I tend to avoid eye contact a lot, until i get comfortable with people (sometimes) and I hate a stutter when i try to remember things, so sometimes I get accused of lying which is always fun, I kinda wanna pop one of my teachers in the nose for not letting up on that when I was having issues remembering something.. "You're a liar" ... in my head I was boiling with anger lmao...

You're basically me in a nutshell lol

Music Producer/Light Enthusiast

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Anyone socially awkward? « Reply #8 on: January 02, 2018, 06:39:36 PM » Author: Rommie
Yep, always have been. I suspect I'm somewhere on the autistic scale, although nowhere near as bad as many people. I can get by, although I have very few friends, and even fewer who I can call close. Fortunately, I found my wonderful other half Sammi (Miss Cuddly to you) and since we met, my life has changed forever  :) :-*

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Anyone socially awkward? « Reply #9 on: January 02, 2018, 06:42:24 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Yep, always have been. I suspect I'm somewhere on the autistic scale, although nowhere near as bad as many people. I can get by, although I have very few friends, and even fewer who I can call close. Fortunately, I found my wonderful other half Sammi (Miss Cuddly to you) and since we met, my life has changed forever  :) :-*

We've both helped each other in this respect, before I met Ria I was very much a loner and with not having a job, I could go for days without speaking to a living soul.  :( :'(

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Anyone socially awkward? « Reply #10 on: January 02, 2018, 10:50:12 PM » Author: CEB1993
I can be a little socially awkward in certain situations.  If I'm with a bunch of people I do not know, I kind of hang back and stay close to my family, friends, or whoever I already know.  I usually don't go out of my way to introduce myself to a bunch of people, especially if they are deep in conversation with their friends.  Social functions are always challenging for me, and physically draining.  I'm always happy to chill out by myself after being around a bunch of people I don't know well.  I've made a lot of friends since I began college four years ago, however I still consider myself an introvert.

I get nervous about asking for favors or asserting myself ::)  For example, I don't like to appear to be a demanding customer in a restaurant if my food is not prepared exactly how I ordered it.  Talking to my superiors or anyone who has power over my fate (i.e. grades in my college classes) is nerve wracking, and I'll often stumble over my words or appear disorganized if I don't rehearse what I have to say beforehand.  It's part of my social anxiety, but I'm overcoming new challenges all the time ;)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 11:00:06 PM by CEB1993 » Logged

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Anyone socially awkward? « Reply #11 on: January 02, 2018, 11:17:43 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
I can be a little socially awkward in certain situations.  If I'm with a bunch of people I do not know, I kind of hang back and stay close to my family, friends, or whoever I already know.  I usually don't go out of my way to introduce myself to a bunch of people, especially if they are deep in conversation with their friends.  Social functions are always challenging for me, and physically draining.  I'm always happy to chill out by myself after being around a bunch of people I don't know well.  I've made a lot of friends since I began college four years ago, however I still consider myself an introvert.

I get nervous about asking for favors or asserting myself ::)  For example, I don't like to appear to be a demanding customer in a restaurant if my food is not prepared exactly how I ordered it.  Talking to my superiors or anyone who has power over my fate (i.e. grades in my college classes) is nerve wracking, and I'll often stumble over my words or appear disorganized if I don't rehearse what I have to say beforehand.  It's part of my social anxiety, but I'm overcoming new challenges all the time ;)
You and I are much alike, at least in this aspect... you just explained it a lot better than I did....

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Anyone socially awkward? « Reply #12 on: January 03, 2018, 04:16:58 AM » Author: RyanF40T12
Pretty sure that one or more of the following fit many of the people on here. (including myself)
- ADD/ADHD
- Obsessive/Compulsive
- Learning Disabilities
- Depression & Anxiety

Why?

Because normal people don't give a damn about and don't have a passion for lighting to the extend many on here do. 

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Anyone socially awkward? « Reply #13 on: January 03, 2018, 05:50:11 AM » Author: funkybulb
Yes fit mre well here, also I Am hearing impaired
And i hate reading outloud cause i tend to stutter
Because my mind is reading the book faster
Than I can speak it.  And being a chapter ahead
Basically knowing awnsers to Problems helps
Doing school activty.  Some of my class mates
Are like WTF your done already? And teacher
Accused me of cheating. Esp Math doing
Double digit multplcation problems My teacher
Even go WTF.  My teacher like show your work
And aleady knew answers from top of my head
Faster than teacher check my work punching
Into her calculator.  Ive learn this skill on my when
I was working at recycling center paying out
Customers basically writing out tickets
For 8 hours. number of pounds of metal x that
Price. And yes every time price changes
Ive learned new set of numbers that i memorize.

Most of my problems i social awkward cause
I seems to unfit out of normal people. Cause
They dont understand.  Also being hard of hearing
Dont help making a good conversation starters
With normal population.

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Anyone socially awkward? « Reply #14 on: January 03, 2018, 09:12:49 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
As some of you are aware myself and Ria are trying to fabricate a floor lamp using a Beta5 lantern.

I had thought that approaching the company I used to work for to get the metal fabrication work done, but due to the down turn in the oil prices they went out of business. There are other companies in the area that do similar work, but I don't know the people that work there.

So I feel awkward about approaching them just to ask the question, though with Ria at my side I should be able to cope.

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies