Author Topic: what car do you drive?  (Read 37550 times)
Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: what car do you drive? « Reply #30 on: July 09, 2017, 07:47:08 PM » Author: Lumex120
Nuthin, because I ain't 16 yet.  :(

Unofficial LG Discord

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: what car do you drive? « Reply #31 on: July 10, 2017, 11:57:19 AM » Author: suzukir122
I drive a... sigh... pontiac G6. 2.4 liter. Very very boring car.

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

icefoglights

View Posts
View Gallery

ITT Low Pressure Sodium NEMA

GoL
Re: what car do you drive? « Reply #32 on: July 10, 2017, 09:03:36 PM » Author: icefoglights
Just picked up this last month.  1997 Isuzu Rodeo.  130,000 miles.  no rust as it came from arizona.  paint is bleached tho and the clear coat is coming off where the worst sun damage is.  has your typical old vehicle problems but most everything works alright.  even the cassette player and A/C works.

Cool Rodeo!  You should go introduce yourself to the folks at planetisuzu.  They can help get you through some of the issues with it.  I gleamed a lot of information from them about the Trooper I was going to get.

01010010 01101111 01100010 01100101 01110010 01110100

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: what car do you drive? « Reply #33 on: July 11, 2017, 01:45:17 AM » Author: RyanF40T12
I drive a 2012 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Long Bed, Crew Cab, 4X4 Duramax Diesel.  83,000 very hard miles on it so far.  I'm the 2nd owner of it.  1st owner was GE Oil & Gas and it saw the first 70,000 miles of its life doing nothing but oil field work. Because it saw extensive idle time (they leave the trucks running all the time in the winter up in the oil fields) the Diesel Particulate Filter is plugged up big time and it will require an acid bath to get it clean to where normal regenerations can keep it clean. (regens happen at highway speeds only) As it turns out though, oil field workers driving Ford and Dodge diesels are having the same issues.  All the emissions crap it choking the fuel economy and practicality away from owning a Diesel.  Uggh.   

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: what car do you drive? « Reply #34 on: July 11, 2017, 04:17:49 AM » Author: Medved
@"dieselgate":
Definitely I would stay away from diesels as possible. The direct injection gasolines reach nearly the same mileage (but you need to take care not using full power much often and for too long, otherwise they become thirsty), while not needing that much demanding technology (SCR, extremely tight tolerances yielding high sensitivity to fuel quality,...) and being much lighter (so longer suspension life),...

It is techically not possible to meet the emission requirements with a diesel, without the expensive stuff like SCR; for the newer standards even that won't be enough.
Cars that claim they reached that on the tests did so only because just cheating the tests. And don't be fooled, all makers selling these are cheating in one way or another. Or needing expensive repairs every other year (DPF and EGR overhauls,...).
The only thing VW did the others didn't was to admit it...
I kno the US rules are a bit stricter in the form of wbat is claimed should be at least close to the real life (unlike European legislation) that is one of the main reason (the other is not as huge tax difference betweenthe fuels) why diesel passenger cars are so rare outsie Europe.

By the way such cheating is technically perfectly legal in Europe: The law requires all published emission/fuel consumption data to be based on the exact test procedure (even publishing anything else, even when better matching the real life, is illegal in Europe). And VW (as well as all others) do meet that. It is just the law stupidity it makes no link to real life performance.
And it is pretty common to see the average fuel economy to be about 20 to 30% worse than what the tests show, among all makers, no exception.

And the cheating is nothing new: Drag forces (part of the equations forming the results) are tested with all makers tested with all gaps covered by a special tape, use of special tyres, they are heavily overinflated, using special lab grade spec fuel (so not suffering that much from extensive smoking), mainly the hybrids and start-stops start the test with all batteries fully charged, but end it with all fully flat,...
Beyond that some examples of methods becoming public (the list is already at least 5 years old):
- Mercedes tested a car version with about 30% smaller fuel tank than all versions řeally sold afterwards (the standard requires the test to be done with "80% full" tank; so smaller tank means less fuel, so lower mass, so better economy results.
- BMW wasknown to "mysteriously" loose engine performance once loosing GPS signal (what is the other difference between a lab vs open road?)
- FIATs tend to consume way more "ad-blue" for the first 20 minutes after start, then its consumption miracolously drop to just preventing the nozzles from clogging (the test is specified to takefrom an engine start and last 15 minutes)
- All PSA cars very frequently enter the "engine protection mode" whenever the driving conditions differ from those in the tests (the law allows an exemption from the emission limits when the engine is in danger)

Questions:Are there anyother diesel engine makers in EU?

No more selfballasted c***

Aveoguy22
Re: what car do you drive? « Reply #35 on: July 12, 2017, 06:29:51 PM » Author: Aveoguy22
Cool Rodeo!  You should go introduce yourself to the folks at planetisuzu.  They can help get you through some of the issues with it.  I gleamed a lot of information from them about the Trooper I was going to get.

Thanks.  ive been there for a few things already.  havent joined up yet though
RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: what car do you drive? « Reply #36 on: July 12, 2017, 08:21:58 PM » Author: RyanF40T12
As soon as they build a 3/4 or 1 ton gas powered truck that can safely tow 12,000-14,000 in the mountains then maybe I can go the route of getting one, but until then nope. 

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: what car do you drive? « Reply #37 on: July 13, 2017, 08:56:55 AM » Author: Medved
As soon as they build a 3/4 or 1 ton gas powered truck that can safely tow 12,000-14,000 in the mountains then maybe I can go the route of getting one, but until then nope. 

With what I wrote I meant passenger cars, not the heavy commercial vehicles.
With heavy machines the game is far different: The complex technology cost the same as with the small cars, but the fuel cost saving it may bring becomes way larger just due to the size of the machines (and the cost of that system is not that large compare to the cost of the rest).
Plus it is way easier to make the diesel large than small: Same tolerances (so sensitivity to contaminants) means way lower relative losses on the big ones, so easier to get high compression ratios, the payload mass allows way heavier engine without that much influencing the overall vehicle mass, so it could be build with larger volume operating and slower rotating, so the fuel has way more time to burn properly (so less soot even without abundance of oxygen, so less NOx), the fuel dosing works with higher volumes, so again easier to make and allowing larger tolerances (so longer life and way more robustness against contaminants)...

On the other hand large gasoline engines work very poorly, as in a large cylinder the flame needs too long time (well, unless you use many spark plugs in a cylinder), so become inefficient so highly impractical.

So a 15000lb truck will still use diesel. The question is, if you want to drive such beast for a daily commute to work...

No more selfballasted c***

Mercurylamps

View Posts
View Gallery

240V 50Hz

Re: what car do you drive? « Reply #38 on: July 23, 2017, 06:13:45 AM » Author: Mercurylamps
Here is the wreck of my old Ford from last year. A red light runner using her phone caused this impact.
CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: what car do you drive? « Reply #39 on: July 24, 2017, 04:48:14 PM » Author: CEB1993
That's a shame that your car was wrecked, Mercurylamps.  I hope you were not hurt.  

I've had my Jetta for almost 7 years and there are all kinds of unique things about my car.  

It takes synthetic oil
There are warning lights for almost everything including one to remind the driver to depress the brake before shifting into drive
There is a warning light to indicate low windshield washer fluid
The aftermarket headlights I put in use 9003/H4 halogen bulbs
I use premium gas
The car is front wheel drive so it does well when driving up steep hills
The door hinges are spring loaded and will swing shut with very little effort
It has a 2.0 liter 4 cylinder engine with 115 horsepower
I can get up to 27 mpg on the highway with premium gas

« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 04:51:26 PM by CEB1993 » Logged

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

Mercurylamps

View Posts
View Gallery

240V 50Hz

Re: what car do you drive? « Reply #40 on: July 24, 2017, 07:59:08 PM » Author: Mercurylamps
Yeah I came out unhurt, thanks CEB1993. :) I suppose in a way it did me a favour because the car was a heavy fuel thirsty machine which had a inline 6 4.0L engine and since then I've had more economical 4 cylinder cars. ;)

Wow, never seen a warning light for low windshield washer fluid before.  :o
suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: what car do you drive? « Reply #41 on: July 24, 2017, 09:23:58 PM » Author: suzukir122
CEB... just 117 horsepower? I'm surprised. How fast does it go? My car has 167 horsepower and it's also
a 4 cylinder, with supposedly 32 mpg on highway

Interests:
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

Mercurylamps

View Posts
View Gallery

240V 50Hz

Re: what car do you drive? « Reply #42 on: July 24, 2017, 10:21:14 PM » Author: Mercurylamps
According to google the engine in my car (2005 Subaru Outback with EJ253 engine; 4 cylinder boxer engine/flat 4) it has a 165 horsepower engine @ 4400RPM. When the car is fully packed on road trips it is surprisingly slow and sluggish at taking off.
suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: what car do you drive? « Reply #43 on: July 24, 2017, 10:26:00 PM » Author: suzukir122
My pontiac G6 is exactly the same way although when it passes it's tiny little 6,000 rpm, it begins to pick
up the pace as if it'll go somewhere until rpms drop with the next shift. Very pathetic car.

Interests:

Mercurylamps

View Posts
View Gallery

240V 50Hz

Re: what car do you drive? « Reply #44 on: July 24, 2017, 10:28:25 PM » Author: Mercurylamps
I'm looking at replacing my daily car (2004 Nissan Pulsar) and replacing it with an X-Trail for road trips, and using the Subaru for a daily driver since I've never really been fully happy with it. Its wheel bearings are a weak spot, it is falling to bits gradually and I've just about pulled out my hair chasing electrical faults with it. :o
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies