Author Topic: other hobbies?  (Read 2590 times)
Aveoguy22
other hobbies? « on: October 18, 2015, 02:44:50 PM » Author: Aveoguy22
as wondering about what other hobbies people here have.  

I collect antique engines.  ill put some pics down below.  they aren't all from the same camera so they may not all look that great.  I currently have 8 engines.  the oldest being from 1922. they aren't all in the pics because some are works in progress.

heres some pics:
this pic is my 1926 Alpha DeLaval 2 1/2hp on the left and the 1930 3hp Cushman Cub on the right.  this was at a small engine club show in Harrison, mi

this pic has the 1930 3hp Cushman Cub on the far left, the 1922 1 1/2hp Fairbanks-Morse in the middle and the 1926 DeLaval 2 1/2hp onm the right.  behind it where they aren't visible are 2 Maytag Washing machine engines

this last pic pretty much sums up my interests.  theres my scooter in the front as well as the DeLaval again and 2 lanterns ( also collect antique lanterns) and my 1970 Suzuki snowmobile off to the right and my Chevy Aveo in the far back.

I also somewhat built my own (very mild) gaming desktop.  2.66ghz Core 2 duo with 2GB of memory and a Nvidia GeForce GT730 with 1Gb GDDR5.
this unit was originally equipped with a  2.2ghz Celeron and that was much too slow so I dug around and found an old Core2Duo I had laying around.  I should overclock this rig in the future sometime.  

« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 02:48:38 PM by Aveoguy22 » Logged
ace100w120v

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: other hobbies? « Reply #1 on: October 18, 2015, 03:55:10 PM » Author: ace100w120v
I have a LOT of other interests/hobbies aside from lighting:
-Film photography (Just getting into that, a coworker got me interested).  I'd like to eventually set up my own darkroom.
-2.5 ton and 5-ton military (Army/USAF/USMC/NG) cargo trucks.  (Got interested December/January 2014).  MIGHT be acquiring a '71 "Deuce and a half" in June as a project, and first vehicle and as a daily driver.
-Radio/broadcasting.  I "DX" a lot, especially on AM at night, and FM is pretty blank where I live, and I've never really gotten into Shortwave, though I should!
-Vintage radios or stereo tuner/amplifier units.  I'd like to find an old stereo tuner/amp (with analog tuning, backlit dial, etc) sometime.  My godparents have a 1978 JVC I might be able to get.  Also sitting in storage at their house in other stuff I have stored there for safekeeping is a 1970s GE flip-digit clock-radio.  Nice little radio, excellent selectivity and reception, especially on a crowded FM dial.  I'd like to eventually start using it as my primary waker-upper. 
-Carpentry/home improvement.  I got interested from my late mother's reference books, many of which I inherited and still have to this day.
-And so many more interests...
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: other hobbies? « Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 05:26:15 PM » Author: Ash
Computers and IT :

I collect PCs and PC hardware, laptops, servers, networking equipment... Things that sometime somewhere a sysadmin once was losing sleep over installing and maintaining at his job place, are now in the hands of me, amateur home basement sysadmin

I collect whatever it takes to complete the story as well : Monitors, keyboards, UPS units, all sorts of cables - including cables that would run in a wall, Ethernet panels and Ethernet wall receptacles....

Most of the PCs are from Socket 423..775 (Intel) / 642..AM2 (AMD) generations, so Pentium 4 to Core 2 and their equivalents. Not vintage, but they are very capable computers even for modern applications, while being easily find-able for free like old lighting. Monitors are both CRT and LCD, right now i have far more LCD's

I repair or take them apart and rebuild (sometimes with swapping parts around) upgraded PCs. I do repairs like bad capacitors, relamping the CCFLs in monitor backlights, taking apart and oiling fans, and so on

I ultimately use Linux on the computers. My preferred system used to be Arch, now converting to Gentoo (actually coming back, as it was my preferred system in the past before Arch too), and KDE desktop

At the moment i built a few PCs for use and for fun, and store the rest for future plans. I dream of building a workshop or small factory where i would use many of the other PCs for machine control some day.... In the same workshop i would put up my lighting, which is right now nearing 100 of 36/40W Fluorescent lanterns alone, and many other things

Drawing :

I draw - various things. Sometimes whatever comes to mind, sometimes for a purpose, whether it is a story scene, a sketch, or a drawing for engineering paper. My drawing is for the most part in Anime style, like my user picture

Sometimes i draw with pen and paper, sometimes on a computer. When on computer i keep to simple tools like Karbon14 and KDE Paint, not the "big box" software
Aveoguy22
Re: other hobbies? « Reply #3 on: October 18, 2015, 11:05:19 PM » Author: Aveoguy22
cool guys. guess we all got varied interests
Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

All photos are brought to you by Bubby industries.

GoL Solanaceae.Keif.Fitz Keif Fitz bubby_keif
Re: other hobbies? « Reply #4 on: October 18, 2015, 11:13:01 PM » Author: Solanaceae
Yup we do lol. I'm mostly lighting, but I have dabbled in things like electronic circuitry and plumbing, but I gave up on each because they were simple to learn, but lots of ways to screw up, so I found lighting, and everything went better than expected.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: other hobbies? « Reply #5 on: October 20, 2015, 01:03:27 AM » Author: tolivac
Besides lighting equipment-collect vacuum cleaners and appliances,guns,movie banners.
paintballer22

View Posts
View Gallery

120V/240V 60hz

Re: other hobbies? « Reply #6 on: October 20, 2015, 10:26:33 PM » Author: paintballer22
Other hobbies include airsoft and paintball, high voltage insulators and vintage electrical stuff.
rjluna2

View Posts
View Gallery

Robert

GoL
Re: other hobbies? « Reply #7 on: October 21, 2015, 07:03:12 AM » Author: rjluna2
My other hobbies?  I collect Intel microprocessor, IBM PS/2 and some vintage computers.  I also have some Matchbox/Tomy cars in my collections.  I have some vintage IBM software/service manuals as well.  I have some old PC Magazines from the late 1980s to 2000s.  I also have Collectible Automobile magazine as well :)

Pretty, please no more Chinese failure.

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: other hobbies? « Reply #8 on: October 21, 2015, 05:23:16 PM » Author: Lumex120
I have a few other interests. One, I am interested in air raid sirens. I also am interested in electronics and using LEDs in electronic projects. Then, there's also ceiling fans, building computers. Last, I like toilets, especially washdown models. Just out of curiosity, anyone else interested in toilets?

Unofficial LG Discord

Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

All photos are brought to you by Bubby industries.

GoL Solanaceae.Keif.Fitz Keif Fitz bubby_keif
Re: other hobbies? « Reply #9 on: October 21, 2015, 05:28:31 PM » Author: Solanaceae
I know that universal Dave is into toilets. I used to collect vacuum tubes that my gramps would pick up from auctions. I have stopped collecting them, and have a box waiting to be sorted for sale.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

marcopete87

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: other hobbies? « Reply #10 on: October 21, 2015, 06:16:21 PM » Author: marcopete87
- Programming (actually i studied at university, but i could find only work in an warehouse, where i do picking and packing  >:( ).
- Music (i play percussions)
- Studio recording/live equipment
- Electronics (repair and development)
- Canine unit (i help training rescue dogs, it's like hide and seek)
- Beer  ;D (only with friends and when i don't drive)
nicksfans

View Posts
View Gallery

Down with lamp bans!

GoL the.baus.of.all.bauses UCDl2EWWZc9h1IZXcfGU9OZA nicksfans
Re: other hobbies? « Reply #11 on: October 21, 2015, 06:29:47 PM » Author: nicksfans
My other interests/hobbies are electrical wiring, cars (particularly classic American ones), vintage audio equipment, and to a lesser extent, vintage electric fans and electronic circuitry.

I like my lamps thick, my ballasts heavy, and my fixtures tough.

My Gallery
Instagram
YouTube

rjluna2

View Posts
View Gallery

Robert

GoL
Re: other hobbies? « Reply #12 on: October 21, 2015, 06:36:38 PM » Author: rjluna2
I forgot that I also collect vacuum tubes as well :-[

Pretty, please no more Chinese failure.

tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: other hobbies? « Reply #13 on: October 22, 2015, 12:38:02 AM » Author: tolivac
I have a collection of tubes as well-many transmitter tubes.But this is inactive for now-same with seashell collecting-have some of those too-collected while I was younger-still have some of my old collection.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies