Author Topic: electronic ballasts in all glass aquarium hoods are pure junk!  (Read 5207 times)
toomanybulbs

View Posts
View Gallery

electronic ballasts in all glass aquarium hoods are pure junk! « on: October 24, 2015, 08:09:03 PM » Author: toomanybulbs
a neighbor bought all their kids these neat compact aquariums last year for christmas.
and now all 4 of the lights have died.they are here now getting upgraded to preheat with a starter.yes with 40 year old stock parts.
a simple 8w t5 ballast wont last a year of 12 hours a day or less use?
pure chinese garbage!
Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

All photos are brought to you by Bubby industries.

GoL Solanaceae.Keif.Fitz Keif Fitz bubby_keif
Re: electronic ballasts in all glass aquarium hoods are pure junk! « Reply #1 on: October 24, 2015, 08:32:44 PM » Author: Solanaceae
I concur on this. I got two f15 all glass lites from hab and goodwill, and they came with craptastic Cheapese keystone electronic ballasts that failed. The ironic part is the bulbs that came in the fixtures were labeled preheat but the ballasts were electronic RS.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: electronic ballasts in all glass aquarium hoods are pure junk! « Reply #2 on: October 24, 2015, 08:46:06 PM » Author: Lumex120
About 6 years ago, I had an allglass f15t8 electronic hood. One day, it just stopped working. I could not get it working again, so I didn't set up the aquarium for a long time. Then, at the thrift shop, I found a preheat version of the exact same hood. I buhgt it, and it works great.

Unofficial LG Discord

Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

All photos are brought to you by Bubby industries.

GoL Solanaceae.Keif.Fitz Keif Fitz bubby_keif
Re: electronic ballasts in all glass aquarium hoods are pure junk! « Reply #3 on: October 24, 2015, 09:36:13 PM » Author: Solanaceae
I saw a four foot preheat aquarium hood at goodwill, complete with tank which was 4'x1'x1'. I'd have bought it, but it was fiddy bux.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: electronic ballasts in all glass aquarium hoods are pure junk! « Reply #4 on: October 25, 2015, 06:05:46 AM » Author: dor123
In most electronic household fluorescent fixtures, you can't replace the ballast, or, if the ballast have a case, it is much smaller than a standard electronic ballast, so there is no room for a replacement, meaning that it is impossible to upgrade the fixture to magnetic (This is also depending on the lamp), without heavily modify the fixture or using a remote ballast in a box, that can be bulky and unsafety.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: electronic ballasts in all glass aquarium hoods are pure junk! « Reply #5 on: October 25, 2015, 12:11:12 PM » Author: Lumex120
The aquarium I got used a few years ago for Christmas had a 3' preheat hood. It had a very unusual 30w t10 aquarium lamp in it, and it had a radonic ballast inline on the cord. The starter was non-replaceable, and replacement lamps could not be found, even on the internet, so I just gutted the fixture for the gear and sockets. I have to use an f15t8 preheater on it for now, but hopefully sometime I can build a hood that covers the whole tank.

Unofficial LG Discord

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: electronic ballasts in all glass aquarium hoods are pure junk! « Reply #6 on: October 25, 2015, 12:14:47 PM » Author: Lumex120
I concur on this. I got two f15 all glass lites from hab and goodwill, and they came with craptastic Cheapese keystone electronic ballasts that failed. The ironic part is the bulbs that came in the fixtures were labeled preheat but the ballasts were electronic RS.
The electronic hood I had had the exact same lamp, labeled "preheat". I had always wondered what "preheat" meant, thinking you were supposed to heat the lamp in the oven before use. :D

Unofficial LG Discord

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: electronic ballasts in all glass aquarium hoods are pure junk! « Reply #7 on: October 25, 2015, 12:49:32 PM » Author: Medved
The electronic hood I had had the exact same lamp, labeled "preheat". I had always wondered what "preheat" meant, thinking you were supposed to heat the lamp in the oven before use. :D

It means it is designed for lamp made according to "preheat" speciofication (so higher voltage filaments compare to the ones designed specifically for "RS").
But I don't think that really matters that much - when the arc is not yet present, the filament get ~4..5x the rated current, so it will heat up either of these two, and when the arc is there, the heatin g filament current is just 20..30% of the rated current, so again low enough for both specification lamps.

Other meaning of this (mainly in Europe, where the "RS" concept never become that popular) it means the ballast is "preheating" the electrodes before ignition (to prolong lamp life), so in other words what's known as "programmed start" in the US. But in that case I doubt there is anything more elaborate than just a simple PTC...

No more selfballasted c***

hannahs lights

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: electronic ballasts in all glass aquarium hoods are pure junk! « Reply #8 on: January 15, 2016, 02:49:30 PM » Author: hannahs lights
Interestingly yesterday I was stocking the pets department at my job and was delighted to find that the replacement fish tank lamps we sell are pre heat with a good heavy choke they are listed as T8 in 8 16 34 and 40 watt versions so proper ballasts live on!
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: electronic ballasts in all glass aquarium hoods are pure junk! « Reply #9 on: January 15, 2016, 03:31:57 PM » Author: Ash
Hopefully the lights are generally of good grade too. Chinese imports can be screwed up even when they are Magnetic
nicksfans

View Posts
View Gallery

Down with lamp bans!

GoL the.baus.of.all.bauses UCDl2EWWZc9h1IZXcfGU9OZA nicksfans
Re: electronic ballasts in all glass aquarium hoods are pure junk! « Reply #10 on: January 15, 2016, 08:20:11 PM » Author: nicksfans
I used to have an All-Glass 55-gallon aquarium with two F15T8 fluorescent lights. Fortunately, mine were preheat. Probably some of the last ones that were.

I like my lamps thick, my ballasts heavy, and my fixtures tough.

My Gallery
Instagram
YouTube

hannahs lights

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: electronic ballasts in all glass aquarium hoods are pure junk! « Reply #11 on: January 16, 2016, 04:23:26 PM » Author: hannahs lights
I will try to see where the ballasts and tubes are made next week I know I will be back in pets at some point
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: electronic ballasts in all glass aquarium hoods are pure junk! « Reply #12 on: January 16, 2016, 04:26:11 PM » Author: Ash
It is not actually the country of origin that matters, but how they are made. Sometimes it is not quite obvious - The nasty ones may appear great when new, but use inferior potting materials that just burn off when they heat and such
lightingnut
Re: electronic ballasts in all glass aquarium hoods are pure junk! « Reply #13 on: January 18, 2016, 12:13:06 AM » Author: lightingnut
I had an electronic ballast fail 2 months after I bought an aquarium. Replaced it with a Workhorse #1 ballast and that was 10 years ago. It's still lighting up the F5/T8.
tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: electronic ballasts in all glass aquarium hoods are pure junk! « Reply #14 on: January 18, 2016, 12:54:44 AM » Author: tolivac
An aquarium light could be considered its being used in a moist area-so--electronic boards may not be good for this unless properly potted.Its like the timer boards in washers and dishwashers.Years back the Wash DC Smithsonian had an excellent coral reef display-they used remote ballasted 400W,1000W MH fixtures to light the display.The ballasts were in a separate room-away from the moisture.And the display had a wave generator-to simulate waves on the shore.The fixtures had lenses on them to protect the lamps.They were mounted just about a foot or so over the water.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies