Author Topic: It's official. NO BAN on mercury vapor lamps in the USA!  (Read 19831 times)
streetlight98

View Posts
View Gallery

Mike McCann

GoL Mike McCann 88219189@N04/albums
Re: It's official. NO BAN on mercury vapor lamps in the USA! « Reply #15 on: December 24, 2015, 09:05:43 AM » Author: streetlight98
Yay! Keep in mind though, this doesn't stop manufacturers from voluntarily discontinuing MV or other HID lamps nor does it prevent the trend of worse and worse quality of HID lamps from continuing. But at least MV lamps will be around for the time being.

Please check out my newly-updated website! McCann Lighting Company is where my street light collection is displayed in detail.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: It's official. NO BAN on mercury vapor lamps in the USA! « Reply #16 on: December 24, 2015, 11:10:41 AM » Author: Ash
I dont think Iwasaki plan on dropping MV technology - And they are great lamps
Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: It's official. NO BAN on mercury vapor lamps in the USA! « Reply #17 on: December 24, 2015, 07:34:26 PM » Author: Silverliner
The remaining MVs in So Cal are still being serviced. And quite a few MV lamps still in use for outdoor lighting such as yard lights, strip malls etc.

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

nicksfans

View Posts
View Gallery

Down with lamp bans!

GoL the.baus.of.all.bauses UCDl2EWWZc9h1IZXcfGU9OZA nicksfans
Re: It's official. NO BAN on mercury vapor lamps in the USA! « Reply #18 on: December 24, 2015, 07:43:12 PM » Author: nicksfans
That's not what I'd expect from California. The MVs here were being serviced until maybe a year or two ago--now they just install a new LED fixture.

I like my lamps thick, my ballasts heavy, and my fixtures tough.

My Gallery
Instagram
YouTube

streetlight98

View Posts
View Gallery

Mike McCann

Re: It's official. NO BAN on mercury vapor lamps in the USA! « Reply #19 on: December 24, 2015, 08:53:35 PM » Author: streetlight98
Here they had stopped maintaining 175, 400, and 1000W mercs around 2000. They kept relamping 100W mercs for whatever reason (I think because there were so many of them left when NGrid bought out NECo in 2000) until around 2014. Now they replace all mercs with HPS upon needing service. No LEDs on utility poles here, though RIDOT is installing some LEDs. RIDOT still relamps existing HPS fixtures and spot replaces with an equal light. If it's a drop lens HPS, it gets replaced with a drop lens HPS if it fails and if it's an FCO HPS it gets replaced with an FCO HPS when it fails. They don't mix drop lens and HPS (except in very rare instances; only seen it a couple of times) and so far haven't mixed HPS and LED.

So far RIDOT has swapped out the HPS lights at all the Park-N-Ride lots with LEDs, Exits 1 and 2 on I-95 near Connecticut (at these interchanges they replaced the NGrid-owned truss poles with their own RIDOT-owned metered davits), Exit 7 on I-295 (just a cobrahead-to-panel swap), Exits 6 and 7 on RI Route 4 (cobrahead-to-panel swap, keeping the RIDOT poles), the Hartford Avenue exit on US Route 6, and the Reservoir Ave exit on RI Rte 10, where you can see the new poles were up but the old poles were not yet removed.

FYI, those trusses on Route 10 originally held GE Form 400 Powerpacks! The truss poles were all owned by National Grid (then it was Narragansett Electric Company before NGrid bought them out). The lights are "rented" by the state DOT just like wood pole lights are "rented" to the city. I don't think the metal poles lights are charged the same way wood pole lights are though. The metal poles are unmetered but I don't think it's a per-light charge. At any rate, RIDOT is eventually going to replace all the remaining NGrid-owned lights with their own RIDOT-owned poles, which will be metered. That way RIDOT will only get charged for usage and they can program the relay cabinets to shut the lights off in the middle of the night. The NGrid poles have photocells and run dusk-to-dawn (that is, when there aren't wiring issues; NGrid is horrible at maintaining the freeway lights).

Please check out my newly-updated website! McCann Lighting Company is where my street light collection is displayed in detail.

lights*plus

View Posts
View Gallery

George Liv Photo

GoL george.liv.37 UC_OfF2pa6aOcXLAut16jw9g
Re: It's official. NO BAN on mercury vapor lamps in the USA! « Reply #20 on: December 24, 2015, 08:56:03 PM » Author: lights*plus
The MVs here were being serviced until maybe a year or two ago--now they just install a new LED fixture.

@ nicksfans: Would there be a link somewhere with an official practice or procedure for servicing MV fixtures in SC? I'd be very interested in closely looking at this.
xelareverse

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: It's official. NO BAN on mercury vapor lamps in the USA! « Reply #21 on: December 24, 2015, 08:57:40 PM » Author: xelareverse
I dont think Iwasaki plan on dropping MV technology - And they are great lamps

Of course they wont. They make the best lamps
xelareverse

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: It's official. NO BAN on mercury vapor lamps in the USA! « Reply #22 on: December 25, 2015, 02:41:52 AM » Author: xelareverse
Added something to Wikipedia
« Last Edit: December 25, 2015, 02:51:08 AM by xelareverse » Logged
streetlight98

View Posts
View Gallery

Mike McCann

Re: It's official. NO BAN on mercury vapor lamps in the USA! « Reply #23 on: December 25, 2015, 10:06:51 AM » Author: streetlight98
That Wikipedia article is not 100% accurate. Definitely needs some tweaking.

Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

All photos are brought to you by Bubby industries.

GoL Solanaceae.Keif.Fitz Keif Fitz bubby_keif
Re: It's official. NO BAN on mercury vapor lamps in the USA! « Reply #24 on: December 25, 2015, 11:28:05 AM » Author: Solanaceae
That Wikipedia article is not 100% accurate. Definitely needs some tweaking.
yeah. It said that the energy consumption goes up twice. Some peeps. ::)

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

streetlight98

View Posts
View Gallery

Mike McCann

Re: It's official. NO BAN on mercury vapor lamps in the USA! « Reply #25 on: December 25, 2015, 11:41:50 AM » Author: streetlight98
Being a grammar (...) I want to cry reading that. :'(

Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: It's official. NO BAN on mercury vapor lamps in the USA! « Reply #26 on: December 25, 2015, 11:55:30 AM » Author: Solanaceae
Being a grammar (...), I want to cry when someone doesn't use the Oxford comma or just flat out forgets them. ::)
I'd edit but I need to make a wiki account.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

streetlight98

View Posts
View Gallery

Mike McCann

Re: It's official. NO BAN on mercury vapor lamps in the USA! « Reply #27 on: December 25, 2015, 01:07:11 PM » Author: streetlight98
Yeah Oxford commas are technically optional, but I agree with you. I cringe when I don't see it used in professional documents like a news article or textbook. Or the misuse of "your/you're" or "their/there/they're" lol.

Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: It's official. NO BAN on mercury vapor lamps in the USA! « Reply #28 on: December 25, 2015, 01:28:02 PM » Author: Solanaceae
Yeah, when I see it on tv show descriptions I cringe a bit. Ever since I was in kindergarten, we were taught to use commas after everything in a list. I know that British English doesn't usually include the Oxford comma. And I made a wiki account, I'm called NEMAbuckethead. :P

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

themaritimegirl

View Posts
View Gallery

Florence

themaritimegirl themaritimegirl themaritimegirl
Re: It's official. NO BAN on mercury vapor lamps in the USA! « Reply #29 on: December 25, 2015, 01:53:51 PM » Author: themaritimegirl
Wow, this is great news! A sweeter Christmas indeed!

Electrical Engineering Graduate
YouTube | Twitter | Instagram

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies