Author Topic: Mounting arms, Ballast brackets  (Read 3784 times)
mercuryvaporisking

View Posts
View Gallery

Another day and another dollar at work!

Mounting arms, Ballast brackets « on: February 06, 2008, 05:40:43 PM » Author: mercuryvaporisking
I am looking for 2 30" Mounting arms and some mounting brackets for HID ballast. I need the brackets for a 400watt and smaller 175/100watt ballast. Will pay for parts and shipping. Or I can trade I have a 70watt MH ballast without cap or ignitor and a 100watt MH without ignitor that will run a MV bulb Or 150watt HPS ballast from t&b complete. Will even throw in the bulbs or is nobody has any where is there a site that sells such arms? Arm strong enough to hold cobraheads.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 11:13:03 PM by mercuryvaporisking » Logged

Same stuff, Different Day!

TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Mounting arms, Ballast brackets « Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 11:22:16 PM » Author: TudorWhiz
You can use EMT pipes from Home Depot...thats what I used for my streetlight display This whole setup had held varies of different lights, the heaviest I used I think was the OV-15, however I believe the bigger fixtures uses thicker 2 inch pipe so you can get a EMT pipe...but be sure to know what size you need......because a lot of NEMA heads uses 1 inch and 1/4 pipe (yes EMT pipes come in that size....There are 1 and 1/4th inch EMT and 1 and 1/2 and 2 inch pipes...my orginal one was 1 and 1/2 but if you use mostly smaller streetlights go for 1 inch and 1/4   if you using more big streetlights, check the max size they can go.......because 2 inch may be too big for some....but some won't accept 1 and 1/2 inch like my OV-14B.....

You will find EMT pipes at the electrical asile...Lowes have them too and some local hardware stores have them too! You can even bend some pipes with bender to make your own designs (I actually learned about pipe bending in class today!)

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

Administrator of Galleryoflights.org

FGS

View Posts
View Gallery

Rory Mercury!

Re: Mounting arms, Ballast brackets « Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 01:36:07 PM » Author: FGS
I also did learn about pipe bending in class for the first month. From now on I will be bending as if I was doing some real construction. The lab have those small rooms that we use to practice wiring in.

@Jace - Any chance that class is ELC-114? What do the lab look like?

Why I like LEDs on top of other lighting tech?
LEDs = Upgrade 95% of the applications. (That is if you avoid eBay's LEDs).

LED brainwash? No, people uses them cuz they work well for them.

TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Mounting arms, Ballast brackets « Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 01:47:00 PM » Author: TudorWhiz
I also did learn about pipe bending in class for the first month. From now on I will be bending as if I was doing some real construction. The lab have those small rooms that we use to practice wiring in.

@Jace - Any chance that class is ELC-114? What do the lab look like?

Actually my class is BU-244     I am in major of Building Trades in electricity... 
The lab has desks, 2 floor "unfinished construction framing" in the back of the class room and a board in front, then there's a breaker and some electrical stuff around the room, with some workshop lights using T-8s and some lamps are original (Philips from 1992) but not many are still working, most 1992 ones are dead but very few works, rest are newer...and the very front of the class room has 5 workshops with 5 different temp colors of fluorescent tubes on purpose starting from 6500k, 5000k, 4100k, 3500k and I believe 3000k not sure....but from left to right.....

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

fran4001

View Posts
View Gallery

Fran Festa hofnerholic
Re: Mounting arms, Ballast brackets « Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 05:42:37 PM » Author: fran4001
Another option if you don't like pipe bending is go to a supply house and get threaded floor flanges and rigid galvanized threaded nipples, maybe 1 -1/2 or 2" x 12". Screw them to a wall or beam and slip the head right on it. Works great!
FGS

View Posts
View Gallery

Rory Mercury!

Re: Mounting arms, Ballast brackets « Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 06:54:37 PM » Author: FGS
Just be sure to hit the studs with some heavy duty screws or the weight of the fixture will rip the drywall off. I have seen it happens before. (Not my fault ;))

Why I like LEDs on top of other lighting tech?
LEDs = Upgrade 95% of the applications. (That is if you avoid eBay's LEDs).

LED brainwash? No, people uses them cuz they work well for them.

TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Mounting arms, Ballast brackets « Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 07:21:57 PM » Author: TudorWhiz
You don't have to bend pipes for the bigger ones like 1  inch and over, because the one I have has a 90 degree one and you can connect it with connector to pole......but I also started using steel pipes with threads due to traffic light I have......

SeanB~1

View Posts
View Gallery

Mounting arms, Ballast brackets « Reply #7 on: February 08, 2008, 11:50:32 PM » Author: SeanB~1
Lucky me, I always have to use $200 SDS drill to mount fixtures, all walls in S Africa are either brick or concrete block.

Brick will support almost anything, block can be a pain, especially for hanging a geyser, then you need threaded M10 rod and plates, plus access to the other side to put the plate, and to conceal it if it is a interior wall  :(.

mercuryvaporisking

View Posts
View Gallery

Another day and another dollar at work!

Re: Mounting arms, Ballast brackets « Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 08:11:44 PM » Author: mercuryvaporisking
I will look into this, Thanks for the info guys! I was going to use a steel handicap shower handle but there ugly. Before reading these replys I was thinking about maybe a muffler shop and they could also weld a bracket/clip to where I want to drive the bolts in. But these ideas seem good.  ;)

Same stuff, Different Day!

streetlight98

View Posts
View Gallery

Mike McCann

GoL Mike McCann 88219189@N04/albums
Re: Mounting arms, Ballast brackets « Reply #9 on: October 11, 2009, 07:02:11 PM » Author: streetlight98
Light mart has 1 1/4" width, 48" lenth cantilever brackets for $ 39.09 (it's the chapest price they have for the wide selection of lights they have. Plus- they have cobra heads ($ 162.54) at cheapest. It's really worth checking out- enjoy: 
brackets: http://www.lightmart.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=1548
fixtures: http://www.lightmart.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=2333 :) :) :)

Please check out my newly-updated website! McCann Lighting Company is where my street light collection is displayed in detail.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies