Author Topic: Can I use a photocell to a 120V coil A/C contactor to control multiple lights?  (Read 1400 times)
lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Power distributor: CenterPoint Energy. 120V 60Hz

GoL UCfoxh9h5FaLg-R04V8WDi3w
Can I use a photocell to a 120V coil A/C contactor to control multiple lights? « on: September 30, 2020, 11:58:09 PM » Author: lightinglover8902
I was thinking of maybe using a photocell to a three pole 120V coil A/C contactor to control multiple light fixtures at once. Like they used in commercial lighting.

So should I use a 120V coil A/C contactor or a lighting contactor. I was thinking of this to control my streetlight fixtures if I get them, and yes I'll use the shorting caps on the fixtures.

Save the Cooper OVWs!! Don't them down by crap LED fixtures!!!

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Can I use a photocell to a 120V coil A/C contactor to control multiple lights? « Reply #1 on: October 01, 2020, 01:04:22 AM » Author: Medved
That should be perfectly fine.

No more selfballasted c***

Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: Can I use a photocell to a 120V coil A/C contactor to control multiple lights? « Reply #2 on: October 01, 2020, 09:24:52 PM » Author: Bulbman256
Seems fine as long as it can handle all the amps and u wire it right

Collecting light bulbs since 2012, a madman since birth.

lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Power distributor: CenterPoint Energy. 120V 60Hz

GoL UCfoxh9h5FaLg-R04V8WDi3w
Re: Can I use a photocell to a 120V coil A/C contactor to control multiple light « Reply #3 on: October 02, 2020, 12:33:56 AM » Author: lightinglover8902
Seems fine as long as it can handle all the amps and u wire it right

I found a Mars 3 pole 120V coil contactor of Amazon.com that can handle FLA (foward line amprage, I think) current of 40A. Although, I could use a 2 pole contactor, since i'm probably gonna use four to three streetlight or HID fixtures.

Save the Cooper OVWs!! Don't them down by crap LED fixtures!!!

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Can I use a photocell to a 120V coil A/C contactor to control multiple light « Reply #4 on: October 02, 2020, 02:25:44 AM » Author: Medved
I found a Mars 3 pole 120V coil contactor of Amazon.com that can handle FLA (foward line amprage, I think) current of 40A. Although, I could use a 2 pole contactor, since i'm probably gonna use four to three streetlight or HID fixtures.

Be sure to check the inductive load current rating in the datasheet (the inductive loads cause harsher arcing than resistive, so typically inductive load rating use to be 2..5x lower than resistive load one; it is specified in the detailed datasheet).

No more selfballasted c***

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Can I use a photocell to a 120V coil A/C contactor to control multiple lights? « Reply #5 on: October 02, 2020, 11:13:49 AM » Author: Ash
FLA stands for Full Load Amps. It is a motor rating, so seems like equivalent of AC-3

LRA stands for Locked Rotor Amps
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies