Author Topic: L.A. switched to LED?  (Read 1797 times)
lights*plus

View Posts
View Gallery

George Liv Photo

GoL george.liv.37 UC_OfF2pa6aOcXLAut16jw9g
L.A. switched to LED? « on: March 09, 2016, 03:52:56 PM » Author: lights*plus
Los Angels was supposed to complete converting 140,000 street-lights to LED by June 2014. Is that actual experience? If you're from L.A., is it nice, bad, or the same?

New York's mammoth task of converting 250,000 street-lights has already started, to be completed by 2017: http://gizmodo.com/nyc-is-replacing-its-250-000-street-lights-with-leds-1451637125
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: L.A. switched to LED? « Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 06:18:33 AM » Author: dor123
Maalot Tarshiha did the same thing within a single month only, according to what appeared in the product placements on the israeli content websites.
Good that this wasn't happened with other authorities in Israel yet (There are LED lanterns in Haifa, Tiberias, Eilat and more, but not as part of a project of replacing the whole street lights).
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 06:20:34 AM by dor123 » Logged

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: L.A. switched to LED? « Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 10:18:06 AM » Author: wattMaster
Orlando has converted most of their streetlights to LED, But there is an occasional MV.

SLS! (Stop LED Streetlights!)

Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: L.A. switched to LED? « Reply #3 on: March 10, 2016, 01:37:11 PM » Author: Silverliner
I live in the area. Yes, LA has LED pretty much all over, but there are still pockets of incandescent, mercury, MH, HPS. The dimmed, greened out 5 year old LEDs are failing like falling flies.

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

mbulb146

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: L.A. switched to LED? « Reply #4 on: March 11, 2016, 07:33:18 AM » Author: mbulb146
Didn't LA have a lot of old 6.6A series systems?  When they did the changeover, did they have to run a lot of new wiring to convert everything to 120V or 240V?  I can't imagine LED fixtures are made in 6.6A series versions.  I remember seeing a lot of photos of very old series systems with post lanterns in the Los Angeles area and seeing bid solicitations by the LA municipal utility for 6.6A regulators just a few years ago.

Matt
hannahs lights

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: L.A. switched to LED? « Reply #5 on: March 11, 2016, 01:25:23 PM » Author: hannahs lights
I have a book about radio interference tracing and curing and in that it shows wiring on a powerpole called 6.6 amp Street light feeder I think the photo was taken in L.A so it certainly existed there at one time.
RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: L.A. switched to LED? « Reply #6 on: March 12, 2016, 12:55:50 AM » Author: RyanF40T12
When I was a lad back in the 80s my family took a vacation to California and I recall there being a ton of LPS lamps and I remember how cool they looked.  Did California use a lot of LPS back in the day?  Any still around? 

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

yuandrew

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: L.A. switched to LED? « Reply #7 on: March 12, 2016, 03:09:04 AM » Author: yuandrew
Long Beach had low pressure sodium street lighting starting from the late 70's/early 80's to 1997 when they were replaced with high pressure sodium. There are still a good amount of LPS fixtures in the parking lot near the Queen Mary.

Currently, the majority of LPS street and outdoor lighting in Southern California is in an area around Palomar Observatory that includes the major cities of Murrieta, Temecula, Menifee, and Hemet in south-western Riverside County and the northern part of San Diego county including Escondido, San Marcos, Vista, and Poway. This is to reduce the amount of light in the area which could negatively affect operations at the observatory.

The City of San Diego was mostly LPS starting from the late 80's to early 90's; also to reduce light pollution for Palomar and Mt Laguna observatory but changed to HPS in the late 90's for better color rendering and recently, induction. A few LPS fixtures can still be found in some areas of San Diego mostly north of Interstate 8.

San Jose was also mostly LPS but changed to LED around the beginning of 2015

lights*plus

View Posts
View Gallery

George Liv Photo

GoL george.liv.37 UC_OfF2pa6aOcXLAut16jw9g
Re: L.A. switched to LED? « Reply #8 on: March 12, 2016, 04:39:41 AM » Author: lights*plus
Wow, San Diego's switch from LPS to HPS, as far back as the late 90s, is a bit of a shock.. what with the mammoth 200 inch Hale telescope right next door. Thanks for that info.

http://www.astro.caltech.edu/palomar/about/telescopes/hale.html
RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: L.A. switched to LED? « Reply #9 on: March 13, 2016, 08:27:44 PM » Author: RyanF40T12
Yes, thank you for the info.  I certainly remember distinctly those LPS lamps, I they played an interest in my lighting interest blooming

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies