Author Topic: Oddly satisfying things  (Read 65368 times)
Mercurylamps

View Posts
View Gallery

240V 50Hz

Re: Oddly satisfying things « Reply #60 on: August 02, 2017, 09:24:26 PM » Author: Mercurylamps
Of course we don't get snow where I live but I did read somewhere that the snow somehow reflects/absorb the thunder noise causing it to sound more muffled. Is that true?

@xmaslightsguy: I too love seeing small innocent clouds form into a big storm throughout the day. I think that is a beautiful sight.

Another thing that I find rather oddly satisfying is in bed at night and being woken up by thunder. You wake up from thunder at first wondering what the noise is, then you see a flash of light behind the curtains/blinds and realising it is a storm.

Years ago I remember waking up to hearing a loud KABOOOM noise in the middle of the night. I get out of bed and look out the front window and saw nothing but a few lamp posts when a big flash of lightning at the beach nearby (probably about 100 metres at most) illuminated everything nearby like all the houses, power lines and cars. It was like daylight for a second I could actually tell the colours and types of cars from the lightning bolt. Then another loud KABOOOM sound. After the two strikes there was no further signs of a storm. I do wonder if they were both positive lightning bolts from a distant storm.  :o
suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Oddly satisfying things « Reply #61 on: August 02, 2017, 11:27:56 PM » Author: suzukir122
Nah I don't think that's all that odd being satisfied that it's a storm. I feel that too during the night when
I wake up due to thunder... but it's a different kind of satisfaction. More like thrill... especially if the storm
is severe, with tons of lighting.

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Oddly satisfying things « Reply #62 on: August 02, 2017, 11:30:27 PM » Author: CEB1993
The sound and feeling of breaking a perfectly racked set of pool (billiards) balls.  A nice loud cracking sound.

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

Mercurylamps

View Posts
View Gallery

240V 50Hz

Re: Oddly satisfying things « Reply #63 on: August 03, 2017, 07:25:22 AM » Author: Mercurylamps
The sound and feeling of breaking a perfectly racked set of pool (billiards) balls.  A nice loud cracking sound.

Ah yes that is a satisfying sound especially as I play pool once in a while down at the pub.

Something else that satisfies me is watching cricket on TV with a beer. Some people may consider that boring but I find it rather enjoyable. I used to play cricket when I was younger and have a couple of trophies.
HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Oddly satisfying things « Reply #64 on: August 03, 2017, 07:06:47 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
getting stung by a wasp... then murdering the thing with a hammer (happend earlier today) it really did not hurt asmuch as it pissed me off.... i splatted it in midair with my hammer

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Oddly satisfying things « Reply #65 on: August 03, 2017, 11:35:10 PM » Author: CEB1993
Wasps are such pests.  I'm thinking about getting a bug zapper for the back porch at the lake house.  There are lots of wasps buzzing around out there, and it would be so satisfying to sit out there with a cold beer and watch those suckers fly into the bug zapper.  Talk about quality entertainment and revealing my inner redneck LOL!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 11:37:31 PM by CEB1993 » Logged

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Oddly satisfying things « Reply #66 on: August 04, 2017, 12:17:54 AM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: Mercurylamps
Of course we don't get snow where I live but I did read somewhere that the snow somehow reflects/absorb the thunder noise causing it to sound more muffled. Is that true?
Depends on how close the thunder is, and how much snow is on the ground.

Quote from: Mercurylamps
Another thing that I find rather oddly satisfying is in bed at night and being woken up by thunder.
That happened to me just last night :) had a little storm move through probably somewhere between 2 & 3-am
Your comment also made me think of something:
I like the sound of rain on the roof when laying in bed at night...its actually quite soothing even if fairly heavy rain.

Quote from: HomeBrewLamps
getting stung by a wasp... then murdering the thing with a hammer
.ug. I really hate wasps.
whenever I find one of their paper nests on the house, it gets sprayed with wasp killer(at night)...then a couple days later after I'm sure there's no live wasps it gets knocked down and burned! (to kill any eggs/larva)

Quote from: CEB1993
I'm thinking about getting a bug zapper for the back porch at the lake house.  There are lots of wasps buzzing around out there
I once had wasps build a nest inside a light, because of were it was located(above a pond with fish) I couldn't risk anything toxic like spraying...so I hung a bugzapper nearby with some yellowjacket attractant in it. A couple days later I noted the little pile of dead wasps on the ground below. LOL .fried every last one from the nest.

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Oddly satisfying things « Reply #67 on: August 04, 2017, 12:19:16 AM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
LOL, that is funny.... but i dont usually like killing things..... only if they attack me.... like all the moths and stuff that traps gonna kill.... i dont like that, but if you have a crap ton of wasps then its probably the best choice

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Oddly satisfying things « Reply #68 on: August 04, 2017, 12:26:30 AM » Author: CEB1993
LOL, that is funny.... but i dont usually like killing things..... only if they attack me.... like all the moths and stuff that traps gonna kill.... i dont like that, but if you have a crap ton of wasps then its probably the best choice

I think there is a wasp nest in the gutter on top of the porch at my house.  There's no way to get up there to remove the nest, so my ideas are a bug zapper or just wearing a bee net  ;D  I haven't been stung yet and I am aware that approaching the nest could result in swarming behavior.  I know for certain that I wouldn't make a good exterminator either, since I have an irrational fear of stinging insects  :D I'm just counting on the cooler winter weather to drive the wasps into hibernation.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 12:30:16 AM by CEB1993 » Logged

Stop the lamp bans!

Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Re: Oddly satisfying things « Reply #69 on: August 04, 2017, 12:28:14 AM » Author: Lodge

.ug. I really hate wasps.
whenever I find one of their paper nests on the house, it gets sprayed with wasp killer(at night)...then a couple days later after I'm sure there's no live wasps it gets knocked down and burned! (to kill any eggs/larva)

I once had wasps build a nest inside a light, because of were it was located(above a pond with fish) I couldn't risk anything toxic like spraying...so I hung a bugzapper nearby with some yellowjacket attractant in it. A couple days later I noted the little pile of dead wasps on the ground below. LOL .fried every last one from the nest.

Your nice to them, using wasp spray, I do it in the day time with a zero deg jet on the pressure washer and 3100 PSI literally blows there little house apart, and they can't fly down the spray and mist to attack you, plus it leaves the spot on the wall nice and clean, but if they are in an area where they don't cause issues it is fun to tack up colored paper sheets and watch the nest change colors..
xelareverse

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Oddly satisfying things « Reply #70 on: August 04, 2017, 04:23:56 AM » Author: xelareverse
The way that I deal with wasps is lithium grease in a can, paralises then for about 5 min and then they can be moved to a far location without harm being done.
Mercurylamps

View Posts
View Gallery

240V 50Hz

Re: Oddly satisfying things « Reply #71 on: August 05, 2017, 06:54:00 AM » Author: Mercurylamps
When you drive gently you see the range to empty fuel range on your car computer display increase.

Being on the road for ages and finally getting a pee/fuel/food stop.

The "just woken up" pee in the morning. ;D

Watching group connected street lights turn on at dusk or off at dawn. I know a large group of nearby SOX street lights that I enjoy switching on. Even drove under them early morning last week just as they switched off at dawn.

Having a nice shiny car after giving it a wash. Mine is absolutely filthy, it looks like it's been all over the world.
sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Oddly satisfying things « Reply #72 on: August 05, 2017, 07:42:08 AM » Author: sol
Having a nice shiny car after giving it a wash. Mine is absolutely filthy, it looks like it's been all over the world.

I took care of that yesterday with a trip through an automatic car wash.
Mercurylamps

View Posts
View Gallery

240V 50Hz

Re: Oddly satisfying things « Reply #73 on: August 05, 2017, 10:19:39 PM » Author: Mercurylamps
I took care of that yesterday with a trip through an automatic car wash.

Unfortunately I'm unable to take my car through an automatic car wash as it has Thule roof racks (keys were lost by last owner; I use the roof racks anyway as I take a roof box on road trips.) and I also have aftermarket driving lights on the front. The brushes may cause damage. Still, I could hand wash it when I can actually be bothered. ;D

I've probably mentioned that I like falling asleep to fan noises, well another thing I enjoy is the sound of an air conditioning compressor kicking in and out while I'm laying in bed. 8)
HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Oddly satisfying things « Reply #74 on: August 05, 2017, 10:58:38 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
i like the buzz of a transformer, or a ballast when im sleeping... it makes me calm.... a fan also works but its not as subtle as the buzzing is

~Owen

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies